Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Replace old hitch

We currently have a 1999 RBW 16k slide bar hitch which is binding when trying close or open. Not awful but annoying. I would like to replace with a new more modern hitch. Perhaps a Husky.

What I do not want to do is to drill any more holes in the frame to accommodate moving the bed rails to line up with the new hitch frame (or whatever you call it).

Question is, is the spacing standard on the rail spacing or what?

GT
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
We currently have a 1999 RBW 16k slide bar hitch which is binding when trying close or open. Not awful but annoying. I would like to replace with a new more modern hitch. Perhaps a Husky.

What I do not want to do is to drill any more holes in the frame to accommodate moving the bed rails to line up with the new hitch frame (or whatever you call it).

Question is, is the spacing standard on the rail spacing or what?

GT
Yes the rail spacing is pretty much standard between all brands.

The above pic is from this page
Patriot 18K Slider? Fifth Wheel Hitch | Rail Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE

I've never heard of a RBW 16k slide bar hitch.

Is it a B&W hitch ?

I have delivered close to 250 5ers and TTs over the last 2 years.
I have worn out 2 of the Reese hitches in the company F250 .
That truck is a 2012 F250 and it looked like the first hitch was as old as the truck. It now has the 18K Patriot B&W sliding hitch.
The other truck is a 09 F350 and has a Companion 16K B&W hitch. This hich was in a 05 F350 when the company got it on a trade.

These delivery trucks are used for local delivery AND moving the bigger 5ers around the lot.
Each one gets used SEVERAL times a week. This I believe is Much more than most hitchs are designed for.

When the last Reese died in the F250 the slider would lock on one side but not on the other. It actually Bent one of the rails it was mounted to. It had to be replaced as well.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #3

I had a RBW at the time I thought it was great even tho it made a LOT of noise. Went to B&W, all I can say silence is GOLDEN!!!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

RBW is no longer made as far as I can tell.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace