Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #1

Replace Plastic cover on bottom of trailer?

I had mine partially rip off in wind and inquired at dealer and they quoted around $800 to replace. That's outrageous. It's there anywhere else to get this stuff? It's just plastic that looks like corrugated cardboard. They said it only comes from factory in one piece and must be shipped by semi and shipping alone wad a few hundred. I call bs, somewhere has to have rolls of this stuff and I wouldn't think it would be much at all. It's basically plastic cardboard, not diamond encrusted gold for crying out loud! Anyone have any info on this stuff or ideas of any other product to use to cover the bottom of a 5th wheel trailer? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

Just get the appropriate tape (someone help out here) and patch it. When an RV dealer has to cut it for repairing something, they just tape it afterward.
If the screws have pulled through, use some length of metal to act as large washers to hold in place.
Oh, and it is call coroplast.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

You can buy 4x8 sheets of coroplast at any plastic supply shop, it is used for outdoor signs. 4mm thickness costs about $5, 8mm thickness about $10. I'm not sure what thickness you need. You can also buy plastic 'H' trim for the joints. Maybe you can salvage part of the existing panel and use 'H' trim and new panels to replace the rest.

My last trailer had just Darco fabric that I replaced with coroplast panels. I cut the joints to match with the frame cross members and used a couple of sheet metal screws to secure each 'H' trim. This also makes it easier to just remove a single panel for access to a specific area of the underbelly.

White is the normally stocked color, other colors may have to be ordered.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

I found some at the Lowe's near me in the sign dept. they had 4x8 sheets (white). I just sprayed painted it black after my repair.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #5

Thanks for letting me know what it is called. Taping it back up won't work. It ripped crooked and was flopping out the side while I was going down the road (cross wind) so I cut it off and another hundred miles or so down the road another piece ripped off and I cut that one off too.

I really need new stuff and then I can probably cut it straight and use those h pieces to connect them to make it work. Will they span the trailer side to side with no issue? There's nothing in the middle to anchor it too. The original piece kinda bows down a little and the factory didn't have it fastened very well so that's why the wind ripped it off.

The front fiberglass/plastic/whatever under the hitch curving down to the storage door in the front isn't secured well either, they have some screws in it around the hitch but they didn't penetrate the metal and are attached to nothing. It cracked all the way down the middle from hitch to door. They said that piece is over a grand to replace. Grrr, I'm gonna try to screw it on correctly and seal it with silicone and see how that works.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do not use silicone for anything on your RV. It will not stick well and NOTHING sticks to silicone, not even silicone.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

I had to cut mind open

I had to cut a 1'x1' section in mind to get access to my black water drain valve on an Excel I use to have...When I finished replacing the valve I taped it up...Our first trip out I wasn't 3 miles from home and the tape blew off...fortunately I only cut it on 3 sides and made a window to do my work...When I got to my destination I took a strong long needle and nylon thread laid on my back and sewed it up...
Old 02-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

This site has about the best price but you have to buy a minimum amount, usually 10 sheets..
Corrugated Plastic 4mm coroplast corrugated plastic sheets, coroplast plastic corrugated sheeting, 4 mm black 48 x 48, red, yellow, 24 x 24 white, 48 x 96 corrugated plastic sheets
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroHeller View Post

I really need new stuff and then I can probably cut it straight and use those h pieces to connect them to make it work. Will they span the trailer side to side with no issue? There's nothing in the middle to anchor it too.
Yes there is, the cross members. You can either cut the panels to align the joints with the cross members, (that is what I did, there was only one place I had to add a 1" square aluminum tube when the space was more than 48 inches). Or, you can just place them however you want and use sheet metal screws and fender washers at the cross members independent of the joints.

dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace