Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Question Replaced all the suspension parts and still not quite right.

I hope you can help me correct a spring problem on my Alfa Ideal. I had to replace all the springs while on vacation last year and now wonder if they are the correct ones. The spacing between center hanger and either end is 29.5 inches from center bolt hole to center bolt hole. The springs I used are 6 leaves 1 ¾ inch wide 26 inch long. I replaced the equalizer with the E-Z Flex K71-654-00; it had a 013-104-02 equalizer.

The problem is the spring eyes are not level at the equalizer (see photo). Are the springs too long and should have been 25 ¼ inch long? Or is this not a problem?

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equlizer.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	10655  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

this is a problem, your springs appear way too long.
I had fun matching mine on my old unit, but you say a meaurement of 29.5 yet used shorter springs and they are still too long, that is also a puzzle.
but yep, need shorter springs from what I can see.
Hope someone else chimes in.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

I bought the 25 ¼ “ springs and started to put them on the rear one was no problem but the front one moved the axle forward and I could not get it to bolt to the equalizer. Later I found out that the equalizer was bound up in it’s hanger and might have worked of course I had returned the springs by then.

It is hard to find any information on the web about springs and load rates but I think when it cools down here later in the year and I have time off I will buy different springs and give it a go again.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

The problem is that shackle needs to be flipped to the under side of the center. The best way to do this is to jack up the trailer and take aleast one of the shackles loose on both sides and get every thing flipped the way it needs to be. but a word of caution here lease parts are heavy and are in a bind since that shackle and more than likey the same on the other side of the same axle. This can be done in a few hour's or take it back to the place the work was done. One more thing come's to mind what parts where changed??????
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
The problem is that shackle needs to be flipped to the under side of the center. The best way to do this is to jack up the trailer and take aleast one of the shackles loose on both sides and get every thing flipped the way it needs to be. but a word of caution here lease parts are heavy and are in a bind since that shackle and more than likey the same on the other side of the same axle. This can be done in a few hour's or take it back to the place the work was done. One more thing come's to mind what parts where changed??????
You have me confused?

The springs should be above the equalizer. Not sure what you mean by flipping the shackle “under side of center”. I have an idea so let’s see if I can make a drawing.

Found a cool web page that shows a lot of information on upgrading suspension.
Upgrade suspension.
From looking at the photos on the web page my springs are too long good thing they are only around $40.00 each one of the cheaper mistakes I have made in my life.

I replaced the springs, equalizers, u-bolts and shackles also tires and wheels. I did all the work myself doing one side in a KOA in West Yellowstone at night. I use several hydraulic jacks and timbers to left one side at a time, it is heavy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leaf-spring-equalizer-3.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	10672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Drawing.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	10674  

Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
D&J

Paul I believe that we a talking about Dexter springs and Axles, if so the 25.25-26 dimension that they show on the web site is for the same spring just loaded and unloaded length. The only time the equalizer will set level is when the trailers frame is setting parallel to the ground the tires are setting on. If you have to raise or lower the front of your trailer to make it level the equalizers will move to keep the axles parallel to the ground and equalize the weight. By looking at the spring that you have (6 stake) they should be the 3500 lb spring that are made for a 7K axle but the equalizer you are using is for up to 6000K axle. By looking at your photo I can't see where anything is hitting so I wouldn't worry about it, it could be that when your trailer was built they didn't follow what Dexter recommended for axle spacing of 33".

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

ok i paided alittle most to the detail in your pic i looked at it wrong, when you replaced the hardware did you measure the springs or match them up for size? if they are the same then all is good, is the equalizer the same height as the old one?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #8

Thanks everyone.

I think I have too long of spring but not sure with out a doubt. Using information everyone has posted got me to thinking (scary) but follow along and see if it is right.

29.5 bolt center to bolt center on the hangers, the springs are 26 to 26.75 inches long. The hanger is 6.25 bolts to bolt or 3.125 from center to center of spring hanger. So the total would be 29.5 - 26 - 3.125 = -0.375 but with the spring loaded making it longer so we have 29.5 - 26.5 -3.125 = + 0.125 (29.5 - 26.75 - 3.125 = +0.375) which would move the eye of the spring past/over the eye of the equalizer which is how mine looks.
Now with the shorter spring 25.25 to 26 would look like this. 29.5 - 25.25 - 3.125 = - 1.125 and with a load 29.5 – 26 – 3.125 = -0.375 close but not past the eye of the equalizer.

I had never replaced springs on a RV so when I need parts at the KOA and no one could get to it for a few days I called a friend that works at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and is a Master RV Tech (Camping World trained). He told me to measure the length and width and number of leafs. The problem I crawled under the trailer and measured the broken spring that had only the two top leafs remaining and it was 26.25 hence getting the 26 inch springs. Boy do I know a lot more about RV suspension now.

So when it cools off and I get time to clean and grease the wheel bearings I will replace the springs. The terminal I am running out of I drive past several RV lots and one has two Alfa’s on the lot so I will see if I can crawl under them and measure the springs and things.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Springs.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	11006  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
D&J

Blue74 you did have a bad set of springs . If you had Dexter springs the only length available are 25.25-26 http://dexteraxle.com/leaf_springs_double_eye
If you go to this link and go to page 4 it will show the spacing for Dexter springs http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/..._Lbs_12-10.pdf

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J View Post
Blue74 you did have a bad set of springs . If you had Dexter springs the only length available are 25.25-26 Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Leaf Springs Double Eye
If you go to this link and go to page 4 it will show the spacing for Dexter springs http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/..._Lbs_12-10.pdf

Denny
I found that info, thanks. Going to change them before I get to go to Quartzsite next winter. I think the construction on Hwy 287 in Montana took them out or just finished them off.

Paul
Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
D&J

I just got done replacing our Nev-Lube bearings, 3 magnets and all 4 shocks. Next spring I'm thinking about replacing the spring because after 75K they are starting to flatten out but they look nothing like yours.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier