Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #1

Replacement flooring options

We have a less than two year old travel trailer. This winter the vinyl flooring split in multiple places. Keystone says they will replace vinyl but we have to pay for installation. That alone will be close to $1,000! We don't want to replace floor with something that will split again. We are so disappointed in the customer service area of our RV. Even the extended warranty is exluded for this happening. So...my question is what do you replace the flooring in an rv that is exposed to cold tempatures?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi JoHenry, Welcome to iRV2!!

What area of the country do you live in? I live in the PNW and my TT is 25 years old and still has her original vinyl flooring- without any cracks- and it can get pretty cold around here. It sounds pretty odd that a trailer, less than 24 months is cracking.

What size is your TT? There is no way that I would pay them a grand to put back in flooring that had already gone bad. I could buy and put down laminate for far less than that. Looks better and lasts longer.

While my vinyl is unblemished, it's an ugly yellow and I am replacing it with laminate. It's no glue and 'floats' so wll expand and contract without cracking.

Let us know what you decide.

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #3

Thousand dollars labor is ridiculous! I had a guy replace the flooring in my fiver after the dealer damaged it installing a new refer and as I remember he charged me about 300 dollars.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #4

Thanks for responding. We live in Montana. Its a 26 foot Springdale. It didn't have any traffic during the winter as it was in storage. They gave me the reason that was the tempature swing that caused the splitting. Real cold to rapid warm up in a short amount of time. It is not glued down. We had a 30 year old travel trailer that had seen lots of temp swings without a problem. We plan to appeal their decision of installation but don't feel we have alot of options. We just are not going to pay the cost of installing a new floor under their conditions. Ever heard of the product Allure? I've been reading up on that. Vinyl self stick product.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHenry View Post
....They gave me the reason that was the tempature swing that caused the splitting. Real cold to rapid warm up in a short amount of time......
What...........a.............crock!

If that were the case, then anyone who lived in a cold climate would have their floors cracking up every season. Do they really expect that people buy that?

I am with you, I would be fighting it. Have you tried the manufacturer or the local BBB? Or sending a letter to the owner of the business with a cc to the manufacturer? I did this with Nissan-- I had help coming out of the woodwork after that and a coupon book for, nearly free, Nissan service on my truck.

A lot of local news stations have reporters who do stories on scams like that. Have seen it around here and always the business in question suddenly steps up to the plate and states that they were unaware of the issue and blames someone internally and fixes it. Funny how that works, huh??

Good luck and let us know how this plays out.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

I think Allure is a very good choice. Many on this forum have used it and shown pictures. You may want to do a search. I have seen two motorhomes in our club that installed it and it looks very nice. Both were the wood grain design.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would fight their decision and go up to the top if I had to. There is no reason that vinyl should have split in the first place and $1000 for their labor to fix what should not have needed fixing is ridiculous.

We installed Allure in our MH a few months ago. We like it real well so far. You can check out my blog for pictures of the installation process and finished results if you like. Allure is a hard vinyl product that floats like a laminate. The pieces stick to each other. The wood look would be much easier to install than the tile look (like I used) because you wouldn't have anything to match up.

The posts on the project started in early February.

Florida-Georgia Camping, Kayaking and Exploring
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Thank you for letting me look at your project pics...it was gorgeous! We plan to use the wood plank instead of the tile. No slides to contend with. Hubby was planning to take out bench seat dinette and bed box to facilitate install. We live in Montana and are planning the project in May. Yes, we plan to appeal their decision on the flooring. Just no way we are paying $1K for install of a product with no warranty. Now they tell us they will pay up to $150 for another flooring. That isn't going to fly either! Fighting with the manufacturer thru the summer is not our idea of R&R. We plan to duck tape the floor (old) down to use it one weekend then start the tear out and will plan a couple of weekends.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I surf a lot on the web and have seen several post where the vinyl in several newer trailers were having trouble spliting over the winter. The man. must have bought some bad flooring for so many to be having trouble. I put Alure in my A and it was easy to install and takes very few tools and little experence. Runs about two bucks a sq. ft in this part of the country. Home Depot sells it here in Ar. Happy Trails