Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Question Replacement motor for landing gear.

I keep blowing fuses on the landing gear motor. It is a 30 amp fuse and the motor is the original one on my Alpha from 1998. It is a Von Weise V05726AM88 12V - 1.5 HP – 17.0 AMP – 14.3 Ratio. Anyone have a part number for a replacement? I found the Von Weise site but there is no cross for the motor. I am thinking of adding second motor to the other jack. Going to run 10 ga. wires to each motor and replace each switch.

They will retract the legs but when trying to raise the trailer/ extend the legs the fuse will pop, but not all the time. I used the crank to load the trailer and when I got to the camp site it did work to lift the trailer enough to unhitch. But would not when I went to load the trailer this morning. But when I returned home it lifter the trailer off the hitch to unhitch. If I replace the motor I have to empty the under belly in 100+ temperatures and if I run mew wires I have to empty the under belly. Anybody think it might be the switch? If I replace the motor with two I plan to use relays to keep from running that much power through the switch.

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	131690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	131691  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	131692  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Try Leisure Coachworks, (formerly Alfateers), they bought all the spare parts and blueprints, when Alfa Leisure went out of business. Have your serial number handy when you call, if they don't have the part they will be able to tell you where to get it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

try lifting with the manual crank.
if to hard your gears in the legs are not meshing properly and will just wear out.
there is a centering plate at the top of the jacks that moves sideways and causes the hard lifting.
You can use a hose clamp to center the plate.
I had to do this to all my 3 5th wheels trailers.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
try lifting with the manual crank.
if to hard your gears in the legs are not meshing properly and will just wear out.
there is a centering plate at the top of the jacks that moves sideways and causes the hard lifting.
You can use a hose clamp to center the plate.
I had to do this to all my 3 5th wheels trailers.
That is how I had to load it. It works raising the legs but under load it pop the fuse, just not all the time.

I will check that when I get around to working on them, thanks.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Try Leisure Coachworks, (formerly Alfateers), they bought all the spare parts and blueprints, when Alfa Leisure went out of business. Have your serial number handy when you call, if they don't have the part they will be able to tell you where to get it.
Frank
I have their number, just did not think of that. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Just a follow up but I went back to the Vonweise web site and found this motor which is out of stock. I did not know that it included a internal drag brake and the price is $299.99 if they had them. so now if it is bad do I replace the landing gear to get a motor with a newer set up or just come up with a different way to crank it up and down?

Might just modify the new crank handle to work off a air ratchet or impact gun. I have an air system on the truck. Will have to try the electric impact I have from Sears.

Vonweise Motor
Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

And after some more digging I found the brush set for the motor so might give that a try and clean the commutator on the shaft.

Brush set
Old 09-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

You can buy a complete stromberg/carlson style motor and gear box assembly that will replace what you have... there are lots of suppliers on either ebay and amazon... I just replaced both the motor and gear box with the Stromberg/carlson design for under $200.... my problem was a bad gear box.... but looking at your... I'm sure that the one I purchased would replace your complete unit...

Mine attaches to one leg, and drives both legs like yours.... but I'd caution you... if you have a bent leg and it drags.... this alone can cause you to blow the fuse... and replacing the motor and gear box will not correct this problem....

I'd suggest you examine your legs and see if this is a problem... I would load the trailer on the truck.... and disconnect the cross shaft from one leg to the other... and manually turn the shaft and check how the leg goes up and down.... the reason it always retracts is that the weight of the trailer is helping it push the leg up....

Hope this helps....

Tags
ace, replace, replacement