Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
My 5er is almost 2 years old and the tires are wearing fast. While I do have alot of miles on the trailer already, the tires are wearing faster than I think they should. They are Mission radials and were on the rig from the factory.

I am considering replacing the tires with light truck tires. I have seen some 5ers come with light truck tires as factory equipment. Trailer tires are not readily available in my area and are very expensive.

Am I OK with light truck tires as long as make sure I meet or exceed the axle weight of the trailer?

RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
My 5er is almost 2 years old and the tires are wearing fast. While I do have alot of miles on the trailer already, the tires are wearing faster than I think they should. They are Mission radials and were on the rig from the factory.

I am considering replacing the tires with light truck tires. I have seen some 5ers come with light truck tires as factory equipment. Trailer tires are not readily available in my area and are very expensive.

Am I OK with light truck tires as long as make sure I meet or exceed the axle weight of the trailer?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Rick,

You'll find that most 5th wheels that use 16" tires come with LT-designated tires. Examples in the LT235-85R-16 size are:

Goodyear Wrangler HT - Load Range E
Goodyear G614 RST - Load Range G

A popular (though pricey) trailer-rated all-steel construction replacement tire for 5th wheels that can utilize a 16" Load Range E tire is the Michelin XPS Rib.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Yes, if they meet or exceed the load rating of the OEM tires. Visit the Goodyear RV tire section of thier websie for more information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
My trailer only has 15 inch tires. I'll have to research load ranges. I'll probably go with BFG or Uniroyal.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Rick,

I've heard some sizes of the Mission tires have had some issues, you might want to do some Google searches. There may be a 'silent' recall on them. Jim "Kablewizard" had problems with his on the way to the 2006 National Rally and replaced all 4 with another brand.

Jim's thread.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #7

Guess I need to ask, how are they wearing? Straight across the tread or is it only on one side? Are they cupping? Come on, please give us some more details before you install new shoes.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Rick

Since you have 15", if you find you have to stay with the ST tires, I've had real good luck using Cooper tires, in fact I use them for the ST tire's (225/75/15 on the Warrior) as well as the LT tire's. (235/85/16 on the Terry)
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #9

Most manufacturers make their ST tires with much heavier sidewalls than LT. This reduces the stress from the side pressure when turning tight corners and sliding the tires. If you compare sidewall rating on the ST versus the LT you will be quite surprised. My ST's are much more rigid and weigh a lot more than the LT's I took off. My LT's blew at 5 years old and 14,000 miles. Many ST's are regroovable - - you might want to check yours.
Bob
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Three of the tires are wearing evenly, they just seem to be wearing faster than what I've previously experienced. One is wearing faster than the others and I have the trailer in the shop right now having the frame and suspension checked. I figure if I have to replace one, I'll replace all 4 with LT tires as they are readily available around here where trailer tires are hard to find.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #11

Denmon makes a load range E ST tire. The size is 225/75/15. I think the price was $140 each. Got rid of my 15" tires and rims and went with 16".

Trailersaver hitch, custom bed
Crazybanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My trailer only has 15 inch tires. I'll have to research load ranges. I'll probably go with BFG or Uniroyal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I changed my rims to 16" and went to LT tires. I like them and have had no issues with them.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My trailer only has 15 inch tires. I'll have to research load ranges. I'll probably go with BFG or Uniroyal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my Holiday was equiped with 15" tires when I got it BUT after dooing some research I found that I could by 16" 6 lug wheels for about 45 each. I lucked out that I found a full set off ebay for under $80.00 with shipping . There was no differance in back spaceing so I started searching for a used 16" tire to see how it would fit , turns out a 225/75/16E tire is about 1" taller and 1/2" wider . It fit with very minor trimming on the plastic skirt , It may not have rubbed but I didnt want to chance it. It now has 5 brand new BFgoodrich commercial TA 225/75/16E tires on it, they hold 80 psi and are much more stable on the highway. My first choice of tires was the michelin xps but I will not spend enough time on the road with this camper to spend the extra cash (BFG tires where 120 each and the michelin tire where 210 each ). Nice thing is there is no speed limitations on these tires , you can tow at 70~75mph and not have in the back of your mind that the tires are not rated for it! On a 80*F day the side wall of the tire was only 15* warmer then the air after 200 miles of highway driveing at 70 MPH , as a bonus they are rated to carry 100lbs more then the ST tires of the same size . In my opinion it is well worth getting 16" rims and doing it right now that you have the chance , one blow out will do thousands of dollars in damage and poss end your trip early!