Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Replacing Coroplast

Someone (either dealer or manufacturer) had cut a couple of access holes in the Coroplast plastic covering on the under-belly of my fifth wheel. The original and the patch job, and some patch up repairs that I made have not lasted. So I plan to do it right this time. I have removed most of it, and plan to add some added support beams to make it more solid.
My question concerns the foil faced fabric material that was on the inside of the Coroplast. It looks like a cross between a tarp and aluminum foil. I assume that it is supposed to be some sort of reflective material that might try and serve as insulation. I know that there is a thermal foils face bubble wrap, which might actually have some effectiveness, but this stuff - not.
Has anyone replaced their Coroplast and did they re-install any of this foil? Where can you buy this stuff.
Thanks, Gary

Tollyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
Mid Atlantic Campers
You're talking about Reflectix or something similar. I got some from Lowe's last year, but just found out yesterday that neither they nor HD carry it anymore. Found several brands on Amazon (probably at a lot better price too!).

2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
You're talking about Reflectix or something similar. I got some from Lowe's last year, but just found out yesterday that neither they nor HD carry it anymore. Found several brands on Amazon (probably at a lot better price too!).
My local Lowes is still carrying it ... must be geographic decision.

Shop reflectix at Lowes.com: Search Results!
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Finding a big enough piece of Coroplast might be a problem as I wanted to do that to our now gone Titanium. If your belly cover is still mostly good, then you should be able to repair the access holes with some smaller Coroplast pieces that a sign shop could sell you. Pop rivets and some Dicor will make it a permanent repair.

As far as Reflectix material, both of the local Lowe's and Home Depot have it in various lengths and widths. I recently bought a 24" wide by 25 foot long piece to use as temporary exterior insulation on our kitchen slide with black painted ends (Keystone, not one of your smarter endeavors on a Montana nor one of mine for not seeing it before purchase )
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Evergreen Owners Club
Keystone quality is continually hitting new lows. We dropped them from our shopping list.
Special ordered 2016 Bay Hill 375RE with 17.5 wheels/G114 Goodyears/Hydraulic disc brakes. 2016 F-350 Lariat Ultimate 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 CC LB dually Hensley BD3 Air Ride Hitch.
schrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
something else to consider ( that I actually just finished considering myself when I had to cut into my coroplast). In my opinion having it in a couple of sections would be beneficial if you ever need to work under there again. I thought about just replacing it but then what happens next time you need to get under there? You're cutting into it and doing all of this again. If you look at how these things are put together underneath it's not really a matter of "if" you're going to need back in there at some point but "when". I just put zip ties about every 6-8" and gorilla taped over that. It's solid and if I have to replace the tape in a few years so be it but "when" I have to get back in there it's as simple as cutting a few zip ties and I don't have the heart ache of cutting into coroplast that I replaced the last time.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Thanks for all the comments. I decided to make this into a "what was I thinking" project.
So I unscrewed almost all the bolts that held the coroplast in place. And I added a few extra suppoort beams (1x3 wood), which I fastened to the metal cross beams. I managed to build some beams that go between the tanks. Just be very careful when screwing or drilling into the wood - don't want to miscalculate and drill into a tank. Put much of it back today. Looks much better. Not sagging down like it was.
This also gave me an opportunity to see how things are put together "down there". Actually it is quite simple, and now I know what is where, etc. As Orion says, it is when something goes, not if.
I used part of the existing Coroplast where I could, and purchased some 4x8 sheets that will be lap joined at a wooden crossbeam.
Need to get it all put back in next day or so. Going out for a week and DW wants it all put back together before we go. I wonder why.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Got any pictures?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Hi Fred. Sorry for the late reply - I was away for a few days.
Hope to finish this project tomorrow. Then we are off in the RV for a week. I have taken some pictures and will see if they are worth posting. Lots of black, but I can probably provide some descriptive comments.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Excel Owners Club
Due to a leaking black water tank I had to drop both tanks to repair them. Since the old fiber glass insulation and fabric underbelly was soak with the waste, I removed all it. After making the repairs and testing for leaks, I used five layers of the foil backed bubble wrap material called Reflectix and one layer of 1" rigid foam board. Then I closed up the entire underbelly with Coroplast. I screwed 1" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar into the 2 x 2" wood strips that the underbelly fabric had been stapled to. I also added several 20 ga. 2" wide steel strips across the underbelly to provide some additional support. Since I hope the only portion on the underbelly I'll need to access again is where the space where the tank valves and tank sensors are located. I closed this area up with a 24" wide piece of Coroplast for easy removal.
Fred & Denise
Santa Fe, NM
2007 Excel Classic 30RSO 2007 RAM 3500, Diesel, 6Spd Auto, SWD, 4x4, CC & LB
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

minnow is offline   Reply With Quote