Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Replacing floors

I am working on a 2009 Heartland cyclone I have a spot in my floor that I need to replace. I also have 7 mm wood flooring that while I have torn out I would like to replace with the new laminate flooring.

I have a couple of questions. First there is white plastic things about 10 inches wide spaced out underneath the slides. These are the things that support the slide while moving and keep it from scratching the floor. They are screwed down through the flooring on the outside edge of the trailer and I don't know how to replace them. I can get them out but how do I get them back in with the slide in the road.

The next question that I have is the flooring that is in my camper now is 7 mm thick. The laminate that I want to replace it with is going to be 4 mm thick. Is that going to make a difference in the way the slides line if I'm off by 3 mm? If I need to I could just put down some paneling which is 3 mm thick to make up the difference. I was just checking to see if that difference would mess with the slides coming in and out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

The white plastic things are teflon blocks--if you can get to them to remove then, how come you can't replace them--not understanding, I guess.
Last summer I had to do something similar on my bedroom slide--got the replacement teflon blocks and did the work. Extended the slide partway and placed a tripod adjustable jack under a 4x4 that reached across the entire slide bottom. Carefully jacked the slide upward untill I noted solid resistance--this gave me enough room to work under the slide floor. Would it be possible to do something like this on yours?

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

I can get to the blocks, and I can replace the blocks. The problem is that the blocks are actually screwed into the flooring to keep them from moving why the slides go in and out. I don't know how to screw them back down with the slide still in there so they don't move.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

I worked on my large living room slide same way--4x4 under entire slide and lifted it to take weight off while I replaced the gear packs.
Maybe someone will chime in with a similar situation that they solved.
How are you able to get the screws out, but not back in--clearance for hands/screwdriver? Are you going to be able to use same screw holes or needing new ones?
Sorry I can't help more.
Joe
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

The pretty short screws that they use and their easy to just pry the screws out to remove the blocks. But there's no way to put back you've only got enough room for maybe your fingers to get in there so there's no way to screw them back down. After I replace the flooring there will have to be new holes put in there for them.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

How about the Heartland Owners Group--there should be one--for some help?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Can you screw them to the floor plank then install the plank? Just a thought.