Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Exclamation Replacing Microwave issue...is this right?

I've sent off an email to Keystone. (for some reason phones aren't being manned) My RV repair maintenance guy ordered replacement parts for my rig and one of them was the microwave (under warranty minus deductable). It finally arrived (and I assumed one would order from Keystone for the year and make of 5'er) and it is a smaller unit. The RV guy said it would be fine and he would put a wood piece under it to lift it up a bit so it would fit.
Well I got to looking at it today and even lifted with wood the lower vent panel on the microwave would be set so there would be nothing to screw the holding screws to (unless he is planning to push the wood piece forward and screw it to that. <!!>) If so, the screw holes in the cabinet would be exposed (where the original lower plate of the original microwave matched up with the holes) I called him and expressed my concern and he told me he "had a plan set in place for that issue." Now, to date, he has been aboveboard with his work..but this seems rather jerry-rigged to me. I may be picky but I don't want the original screw holes exposed, as even wood putty wouldn't blend with the cabinet facing (veneer).
The original microwave was a Sylvania 3 y/o (which eventually had the seemingly common problem, at least with RV microwaves, as I've had microwaves in my home in the past and they've lasted forever, which is once you 'cook' with them and then close the door, the light stays on and the glass plate continues to revolve. Sadly Sylvania was one that wasn't on recall, so I couldn't get a replacement.
OK long winded, but would it ,could it have been it wasn't ordered from Keystone? ...It is a Contoure microwave. Smaller inside and out from the original.
I'm awaiting Keystone, but past experience means it could be awhile. What I'm babbling on about is anyone replaced a microwave for a Keystone Cougar 310SRX (if that makes any difference) and received the same size unit or received something smaller? My RV guy seems to think it is ok...but I'm 'ing over the whole issue.
Am I making too much of the whole thing, or should the same size be the one received and replaced?
paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
that sounds a little odd. We have a 2011 cougar 327RES and had an issue with the microwave. The dealer took the microwave out and in 4 weeks we had a new one which had been sent by the factory. I would insist that the microwave that is provided under warranty is at least the same size. I would be wondering about a service tech who is replacing items under warranty with mis-sized items. Whats he doing with repairs that arent visible to you?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
It sounds like they are trying to put one over on you. They probably had problems with the microwaves they were using and switched to a different model, but that does mean that they should rip you off in the process. It may be the dealership? They could be getting a refund from Keystone, and purchasing a cheaper unit to install in your unit. Either way it smells like BS. I worked at a dealership, and we bought microwaves with flush mount kits from Lowes and Home Depot, but atleast we bought good ones, and they fit the application. Tell them that you expect the same size unit, with the same features or better, in the same or better quality as the original microwave.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsprayjr View Post
It sounds like they are trying to put one over on you. They probably had problems with the microwaves they were using and switched to a different model, but that does mean that they should rip you off in the process. It may be the dealership? They could be getting a refund from Keystone, and purchasing a cheaper unit to install in your unit. Either way it smells like BS. I worked at a dealership, and we bought microwaves with flush mount kits from Lowes and Home Depot, but atleast we bought good ones, and they fit the application. Tell them that you expect the same size unit, with the same features or better, in the same or better quality as the original microwave.
Yep, I agonized over it and then thought "Hey I'm the customer, they are providing a service and the service should be giving me the right sized microwave and no accepting a jerry-rigged job!"
Thanks for everyone's input. I needed some back up as I was beginning to weaken and not want the hassle and was just going to back down. But now, NO!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I would still be very cautious when your getting warranty work from this company. Wise words "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

If you think you have a mess now think what happens if this "odd" one goes bad. How are you going to undo the Rube Goldburg install and get another that fits back into that space?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If you think you have a mess now think what happens if this "odd" one goes bad. How are you going to undo the Rube Goldburg install and get another that fits back into that space?

All too true. I even contacted Keystone in regards to what their practice was when an replacement appliance was ordered (under warranty) and explained the situation.
No reply as of yet, and RV guy who was supposed to get back to me yesterday didn't.

Can I ask a question off thread? He left the 'old' microwave and the galley tank that he replaced. (Now the microwave does work in it's own odd way and could be held onto as an emergency back up). Any work I've had done in the past, even the nasty job of replacing the black tank, the guy who did the work took all the old stuff with him. I've been left with the old galley tank, I just discovered it tucked out back. I guess a local dump would take it. Was I 'spoiled' by having previous workers taking away the defective parts, or is this guy just not wanting to deal with it?

(I'm sorry for the rudimentary questions, but having to deal with living in an RV and getting things repaired is all new to me . Thanks again for all your previous replies and helpful suggestions.)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you ever consider having the original microwave repaired? Based on what you described, it sounds like probably just an internal switch that has failed. Probably a simple repair.

There is an online company named Repair Clinic and they have a service called RepairGuru. You describe the problem to them and a trained tech will diagnose the problem and suggest what it will take to repair it. I've used the service and they are very good. They described to me how to fix my dishwasher, and it was a fix that required no parts, so they made nothing on the deal. That didn't keep them from making the diagnosis and sending me a complete description of how to fix it. If you need parts they can sell you those, and their prices are probably less than you will find locally. That's assuming you can even find parts locally.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Angry Microwave fiasco

RV guy came and stated that "now days they replace microwaves with the convection/microwaves and the dimensions would make it 4 inches too deep" to enable him to put one in the space my microwave sat in. The old microwave is about 14 1/2" deep.

He said "if a unit was possible to find, since the packaging for the smaller unit had been tossed (I did get ahold of the shipping box which gave me info on who it was ordered from and model # etc.) the new microwave would be an out of pocket expense for me."

I emailed ( since their phones are to be down until "at least" October 24th") Keystone with ALL info regarding both units and will hopefully get some feed back to see if I've actually been ripped off. There will be heck to pay if I find out that is the case (which I believe it is)

Off thread: The guy left me (as I previously said) with the old galley tank he replaced. The newly repaired tank leaked and he had to come out again + leaving the belly screws and washers ( 6) not put back in place and the leftover pipe under the rig with the cuttings from said pipe pared off the pipe to repair the leak. I've always had service folks take their mess with them. Worse yet, I live on a horse ranch and he left screws in the dirt road where the horses are walked by on to reach their pastures which could equal major hoof damage and $$ to seek medical care. He was called on that by one of the guys on the ranch and said "well I didn't throw them down on the ground, but they could have fallen out of my truck when I drove away." HUH??? His tailgate was up, you'd think at the very least he would have tossed the screws in the bed of the truck. I don't need to be replacing truck tires on my vehicle either. Sorry for the rant, but this issue is making me....
I'm hoping one day soon I can post and say this issue has been settled satisfactorily and someone else may gain some insight or help from reading about the issue and avoid the headache.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I would still be very cautious when your getting warranty work from this company. Wise words "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
Well the RV Repair company (licensed and insured and carrying the BBB sign) was called back to the site. Told to take the old tank he had left behind and pick up all the scraps of piping and to finish sealing the belly of the rig. Just before he arrived I was making sure all the 'bolts'/ screws..and washers were available and by the area that needed to be closed and did a double take....when he had come out to reseal the new galley tank that was found to be leaking, he had, instead of undoing the belly cut a nice sized hole in the belly and didn't even attempt to take that piece and put it in place!!

I stood there and pointed out all the flaws and mentioned the microwave again, he said he didn't cut the hole (I've been in that area working on the rims and checking the new leak and no hole then.)he left in a huff, so BBB will be hearing from me. geeze and I thought choosing a business that was licensed and insured would be dependable.

The quest will go on in regards to the microwave. No word from Keystone, so I guess I'll check online RV parts stores and see what is available before nailing someone's fanny with an" either replace it or have to answer to the big guns."
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #11

Over the years, I have found most of the 'BBB' to be more like 'BS'...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Over the years, I have found most of the 'BBB' to be more like 'BS'...
Joe
In regards to how effective (or not) they are, or using the BBB approval sign on your business as a indication you are a business to be trusted?

I did use the BBB and won a case against a mechanic. (used old parts on my vehicle and held it for several weeks making excuses that things were busy or that he was working on it when I called). I was fortunate to have friends and family that would drive by and check to see if it was out in the yard on at the curb when he said he was working on it and then to direct me to another mechanic that would verify his lies, poor business record.

Well there is a 'nice' review online about the particular RV business I was honored to have contact with.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What makes you think you have to order it from Keystone? Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, JC Pennys, Best Buy, Walmart, etc sells microwaves of all colors and sizes and probably much cheaper than Keystone. Find what you want, buy it, and install it. There is no such thing as an RV microwave or one that is specifically built for an RV. Or you can go ahead and let the guy give you what you dont want. I got mine at Lowes.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
There is no such thing as an RV microwave or one that is specifically built for an RV.
I disagree. My microwave works but the information center doesn't light up so you can't tell what is going on.

I pulled it out to replace it and measured it.

It's 14" deep and 28" wide. Lowes, Home depot, Sears etc. no one had one. The standard depth is 16" and the standard length is 30" for a house. There are a lot of microwaves that would fit but they don't wall mount. I would have to build a shelf under it somehow. I suspect it was made specially for the unit.

Maybe they can't get one either and instead of being honest they are giving him the run around. Since it's warrented by Sylvania I would get in touch with them and see if you can get a replacement for the dealer to install.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote