Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Replacing passenger tires with LT's

Hello,

I have a 2015 F-150 4x4 with Wranglers on it. No real complaints about them with 32,000 miles, but am now towing a light fiver and need to upgrade to light truck tires for some better sidewall strength.

Any recommendations?

I've read reviews on Michelin LTX's and they range from very good to very bad.Same with the BFG K02's.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Jeff
normanis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the Michelins and will always have them in the future. They last a lot longer, have great traction, and ride smoothly. They are pricey though. I will never again have the BFG's. Roughest riding tire I ever owned and no traction.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

I have to disagree with spdracr39 on the BFG KO's, but then we all have our opinions. I thought my KO2's were great, for an aggressive AT tire. Bit squirmy under braking when new and under full load....

You'll find all AT tires are a bit squirmy compared to highway treads when heavily loaded.....

The primary point I would like to make, is no matter what D or E tire you pick, get prepared for a rougher and louder ride, and a noticeable decrease in fuel economy unloaded (day to day driving). Increasing your rotational inertia is no joke for fuel economy. So think if you actually really NEED LT rated tires. They aren't cheap either.

After that, load up tirerack or discountire, sort by highest review and fire away....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I really think I have too much sidewall squat on the goodyear wranglers to feel comfortable for longer hauls. I think LT tires are the answer for that issue. I guess there are always trade offs, so a little more noise or reduced mileage is that trade off.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Tires are like asking which is better? There are lots to consider. You have a light truck. Do you want to maintain the soft ride or is a stiffer side wall going to be ok with the wife?

I have good.excellent service from both Bridgestone and Toyo. You do get what you pay for, and both brands have what I would call budget tires and tires meant to be used and abused. The Michelin brand, to me, is over priced, over hyped, for what you get.

Also consider a brand called Nitto. They are owned by Toyo, and make several options, highway to off road to beach sand. Same with most all brands, a Firestone Transforce HT, is a OEM tire. The OEM's use it cause it is cheep. The other end of the spectrum is a Bridgestone Durvias R500. A tire that is too stiff for use on a 150 size truck.

Soft ride, stiff side wall, one or the other?.....
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

I've used both the Firestone Transforce HT and now the Transforce AT.
My brother in law works for a tire distributor and hauls tires to different dealers around the state, he goes through about 2 sets of tires a year doing this daily, so he gets to try out lots of brands and lots of models, so far the 2 above have provided him with the most mileage between changes being the HT lasted longer but the AT has better all terrain traction, he has also had good luck with Cooper Discover AT3's
Old 03-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

Hi Norm, just a thought, when looking for tires, compare the tire weight, the heavier tire will be stiffer, both in the side wall and in the tread.

I am getting ready to replace my tires. 235.80.17 on my '12 DRW truck. In my size I have found tires weighing from 43lbs to 53lbs. I am going with Firestone Transforce HT. They weigh 50lbs ea. I was going to use Durvias R500, but I will probably sell my truck in a couple of years and the Extra $40 per tire cost, is making a difference.

Since you have a 4x4, you will probably like the "look" of the Transforce AT. It is a stiff, reasonably priced tire.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #8

Thanks so much for the responses. Like everything else RV related, there is a lot to consider here. Tires are a big deal and you have to make informed decisions to make sure you are not throwing money away. I appreciate all the input. Thank you.

Tags
tires