Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Says the guy with fanning leaf springs, damaged shackle, and smashed zerk fittings.

No offense, but if this is “factory spec” then why are you seeking help here?

Who knows how long those filed down zerk fittings were exposed to rain water. Don’t forget about the delivery miles, too.

If the factory neglected to grease the wet bolts (very common), and the zerk fittings weren’t intact to keep water from filling the inside bore, and then you let it sit for a long period, I could see corrosion setting in and causing your suspension to momentarily hang when fully unloaded.

Moral of the story: have the repair facility check all your suspension fasteners while they are addressing the leaf spring alignment issue.

I’d have them inspect the inner surfaces of the wheels, too, since that is probably what was grinding down those zerks.
I have minor wear (because I caught this early) on two shackle links (opposite sides) and Lippert has to decided to replace everything based on the pictures I sent them. I think you have a picture in your mind that is much worse than what I'm talking about. So obviously I'm going to replace all springs, shackles, U-bolts and wet bolts if that's what they are shipping me. As for the damaged zerks, they on the inside of the hanger bolt facing away from the tire so no it's not possible the wheels / tires rubbed them. There is no visible corrosion, but I'll have a better look when the old parts have been replaced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Bunch of folks on jayco forum have had failures of the electric Lippert jacks.
I would not trust them but thats me!

RoadrunnerII
I have the 6 point hydraulic leveling system, but Lippert does not recommend using them in lieu of a bottle jack to lift the RV tires off the ground. I would used them if I had too (depending on how level the ground is) but just enough to get a jack stand under the frame to support the weight.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Roadeyepie

If the trailer is 8 months old this whole repair should be covered under your warranty. I would be talking to dealer and manufacturer. Since Lippert has provided the parts to you the trailer manufacturer should have no issue paying the labour bill but get it approved. Save yourself some money for camping trips.

RoadrunnerII
It is under warranty. Lippert is covering all parts and labor. They have been great to work with thus far.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
RoadEyePie, I know they are sending you all new parts, but if the shackles are still the thin Lippert ones, throw them in the trash, and get a HD set from Dexter, or MorRyde.
That means I'd have to replace the wet bolts since thicker shackles would change the bolt length as well.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
That means I'd have to replace the wet bolts since thicker shackles would change the bolt length as well.
Roadeyepie
When they pull it apart take a look at shackle holes. Likely already started to go egg shaped.
I had the non wet bolt version. Started squeaking within a month. The nylon bushings where already worn on one side. Shackles had started to egg out the holes. New trailer as in built in March purchased in August. With delivery less than 2000 miles on them. Was not impressed with the metal quality. Installed the morryde wet bolt kit lube it two or three times a year. No issues so far. Hated spending the money but not planning on buying another trailer so in it for the long run.

RoadrunnerII
Old 12-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
If raised too high, the spring shackles have been known to flip. If they do flip it is a pain to get them back the way they should be.
We have the Lippert 6 point leveling system on our Road Warrior and have had our unit for over 2 years. Be careful how high you raise your unit with the 6 point system.
You were right, that is what happened. The rear axle shackle flipped upside down, which torqued the front pair forward, which is when I saw the axle drop. I've got to jack it back up to see how to right that flipped shackle. I'm thinking I'd be better off trying to use the leveling system to lift both sides of the RV off the ground to see if that releases pressure on that shackle.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #35

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Something struck me as very odd today while I was checking out the RV. My frame to ground distance is 24" so I was shopping for a bottle jack and jack stands that would reach that height. I decided to raise the tires off the ground with the hydraulic leveling jacks on one side just to where the tires leave the ground. I did this to measure the distance when jacked up to determine the height of jack stands needed. When I was lowering the RV via the hydraulic leveling system, I walked around to look and I saw the tires still a few inches off the ground, then the axle dropped and the tires hit the ground. It was only the axle / tires that moved. The RV was supported by the jacks so it didn't move. It's like the axle got stuck then fell. Don't know what to make of this.
That can happen when a spring shackle "flips" over, i.e., instead of moving away from the axle, it flips and moves inward, towards the axle. When you raise the wheels completely off the ground, the axle will drop down and the shackle will flip back to its proper position.

Lyle
Old 12-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #36

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Issue with the jacks was Thread chewed out of the thread lift block. Lippert has generally warranty replaced.
I met a 2016 Pinnacle owner from Tennessee in Sept 2019 replaced 5 of the 6 electric jacks. I have the 4 jack One control system but on a 12.5k 5th trailer. No issues so far with the jacks. Not just one owner on the Jayco forum have had the issue with jacks. Likely a hardening process issue. Jayco is moving to hydraulic jacks on the late 2019-2020 models.
Sorry not meaning to hijack this post

RoadrunnerII
Well, with my 10.5 GVW KZ, I may not have an issue then, touch wood!

Lyle
Old 12-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #37

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Says the guy with fanning leaf springs, damaged shackle, and smashed zerk fittings.

No offense, but if this is “factory spec” then why are you seeking help here?

Who knows how long those filed down zerk fittings were exposed to rain water. Don’t forget about the delivery miles, too.

If the factory neglected to grease the wet bolts (very common), and the zerk fittings weren’t intact to keep water from filling the inside bore, and then you let it sit for a long period, I could see corrosion setting in and causing your suspension to momentarily hang when fully unloaded.

Moral of the story: have the repair facility check all your suspension fasteners while they are addressing the leaf spring alignment issue.

I’d have them inspect the inner surfaces of the wheels, too, since that is probably what was grinding down those zerks.
If the zerks were "worn" down, then the wet bolts were installed incorrectly. They =should= be to the inside, away from the tires/wheels to prevent just this from occurring. This should =all= be warranteed!

Lyle
Old 12-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #38

The smart thing to do is:
Have a mobile guy show up and do whatever repairs are necessary to make it towable.
Then tow it 70 miles or whatever to the shop you mentioned and have them do the repairs properly. Lazer checking the alignment and the whole 9 yards. All at lippert expense.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #39

Siebel Heavy Equipment near you has good reviews.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #40

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Any rv manufacturer but especially one who markets themself as high end should make it right at no cost and no labor on your part!
Whatever it cost them is certainly less than the possible damage that could occur if it failed while on the road.....lots of liability given it's so new.
Let them flat-bed it to a repair place. Not your problem!
I wouldn't touch it despite my own mechanical skills and ability. Its their problem to repair regardless of the expense and regardless of where its parked. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Quote:
You were right, that is what happened. The rear axle shackle flipped upside down, which torqued the front pair forward, which is when I saw the axle drop. I've got to jack it back up to see how to right that flipped shackle. I'm thinking I'd be better off trying to use the leveling system to lift both sides of the RV off the ground to see if that releases pressure on that shackle.
I talked to a guy that did the same thing and flipped a shackle. He said he used a pry bar to move the shackle back in the correct position. He did say it was a pain to get it, but he did.

But in your case since a mobile shop is coming out, let them handle it and you watch and talk to them while they work on it. I myself do get a shop I trust to work on something the first time if I am not comfortable with it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Any rv manufacturer but especially one who markets themself as high end should make it right at no cost and no labor on your part!
Whatever it cost them is certainly less than the possible damage that could occur if it failed while on the road.....lots of liability given it's so new.
Let them flat-bed it to a repair place. Not your problem!
I wouldn't touch it despite my own mechanical skills and ability. Its their problem to repair regardless of the expense and regardless of where its parked. Good luck.
I believe the frame, axles, suspension is all under warranty from Lippert. They did not hesitate to ship me parts to replace everything excluding the axles and equalizer as there is no damage to them that I am aware of. They are taking care of it all.