Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Replacing Tail Lights

I really want to replace the tail lights on the back of my 2012 KZ Durango fiver. The factory lights are small and dim. So far I've only found a couple surface mounted lighting fixtures that may work for what I want.

I really want to go with LED reflex units to gain the brightest. It's either this or adding additional lights in the rear.

Any thoughts or advice???
What do you guys think of these two units:

Taillights - Bargman

LED Lights of all types manufactured by Command Electronics

There's also a pretty good user review for the Bargman light that includes pictures on Etrailer.com's website:
Bargman LED, Surface Mount, Double Tail Light - 84, 85 Series - Red - Black Base Bargman Trailer Lights 47-84-610

Here's the rear of my fiver for comparison:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

Of course if I change the whole fixture I'll also need to add a license plate light fixture since the factory unit is all-in-one.

LED Trailer License-Plate Light w/ Mounting Bracket, 2 Wire, 5 Diode - Clear Optronics Trailer Lights LPL55CB

Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I wanted back up lights on my fiver, I looked at the Bargman units you show on, decided against them due to the cost and the fact there were no backup lights on them. I stuck with the standard bulbs and ran a line from pin 7 on the pigtail to the rear of the fiver, then split it to the two new fixtures with backup lights. Looks factory. Will post pictures when I can.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

Bargman does make them with backup lights. My trailer doesn't have existing backup lights.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

I'd love to add some Rigid Industries lights in the rear for backup lights.

Either the 6 inch single row lights or the Diffused Duallys

https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/130.htm

Duallys Diffused (Set of two)

They are supposed to release a single row version of the Dually this year. That would be an ultra-compact backup light. Might even add a couple of those on the bottom edge of my truck bumper for extra backup lights.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

i removed my bargman 92 tail lights and installed surface mount 6 inch oval led tail lights two on each side of the back of my trailer
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

I put Bargman #07 LED lights on the back of my Cougar. I liked the sculpted look as opposed the more utilitarian square/rectangular versions.

It originally came with the #92 tail lamps that were horribly dim (all stock trailer lights seem to be in that boat) and the #07s bottom mounting holes lined up and the top two, while not usable, were covered by the new lamps and subsequent caulking. As part of that project, I replaced all the incandesent bulbs in the clearance lights with LEDs. At least I'm visible now

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I put Bargman #07 LED lights on the back of my Cougar. I liked the sculpted look as opposed the more utilitarian square/rectangular versions.

It originally came with the #92 tail lamps that were horribly dim (all stock trailer lights seem to be in that boat) and the #07s bottom mounting holes lined up and the top two, while not usable, were covered by the new lamps and subsequent caulking. As part of that project, I replaced all the incandesent bulbs in the clearance lights with LEDs. At least I'm visible now
Would you mind posting a pic?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

I hated the wimpy back up lights on our 40 ft 5er. I added 2 halogen white floods to the rear bumper, 2 more just behind the wheels, and 2 more about mid way between the front and back of the trailer. I used a 20 amp circuit for each pair of lights and a relay to fire them off of a wire I ran from the back up light circuit. Each circuit is fused at the battery with 3 new 12 gauge wire circuits pulled right from the batteries in the trailer. Now on top of those stock lights that do nothing other then to alert others you are backing up, I have 300 watts of halogen lamps lighting my way behind and to the sides of the trailer. I no longer have to get out and survey the situation with a flashlight I can do it sitting and looking in my mirrors.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #10

Sorry, I got busy and haven't checked back for a few days...

Here's the Bargman #07 LED tail lights that I put on my Cougar... I ordered them so that I moved the license plates from curbside to streetside:

Here they are with the parking lights on:

Here's the brake lights...this is why I wanted to go LED. They are actually brighter than what this shows (auto exposure cameras cut down the "brightness" somewhat:

At least now I can be seen and in the dark they are almost too bright. Coupled with the LED clearance light bulbs, I can certainly be seen at night.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #11

I'm taking webslave's advice on the rear lights. I have the Bargman #7's on order and should have them installed by next week. Thanks

I just finished replacing all of the running lights with Blazer CW1544 LED lights. What a HUGE difference. The old lights weren't even visible in bright daylight. The LED's glow brightly in direct sunlight.

I'll post some night pics once I have the tail lights installed.

Tags
lights