Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Residential 5th wheel with private office

Hi,

We are in the process of selling our bricks and sticks looking to work/travel from a 5th wheel. We are looking for a full time residential 5th wheel that I can have a small and usable office area separate from the main living area. Need to work a few more years as a project manager around the US. The wife and I want to begin traveling to the various jobs by taking home with us.

Thanks!
Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, welcome to iRV2.com. Keep us up to date with your plans.

It is difficult not knowing what you have to tow this 5th wheel with. That said, look at DRV (DRV Suites) I know they have a 43' model with an office in the rear. Thay can also re-arrange other floor plans to fit one in for you. Also check out New Horizon (New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels) which is a true residential 5er and is custom built to your needs. You will need a larger pickup to tow either of these units (in the area of a Ford F-550 or MDT)

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
You could get an Excel Wild Cargo toy hauler and use the rear area as an office.

Excel Wild Cargo - Excel RVs

They will custom build special requests. They could build you a nice office in there.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
The Wilde Cargo would be a great choice! The wife and I Spent about two hours in one last year at a show and you won't find a better company to deal with. As I spoke with Mr. Peterson about a few changes and he was very open to changes. We ended up purchasing a used rig but when it comes time for a new rig they will be at the top of the list.
There material used is top quality, there build quality is just amazing, two traits normally not found in the RV business .
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star
First, welcome to iRV2.com. Keep us up to date with your plans.

It is difficult not knowing what you have to tow this 5th wheel with. That said, look at DRV (DRV Suites) I know they have a 43' model with an office in the rear. Thay can also re-arrange other floor plans to fit one in for you. Also check out New Horizon (New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels) which is a true residential 5er and is custom built to your needs. You will need a larger pickup to tow either of these units (in the area of a Ford F-550 or MDT)

We are going to an RV dealer today to look at the DRVs. I'm hoping we can pull with a 350 diesel. A recommendation there?
rrcollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcollings View Post
We are going to an RV dealer today to look at the DRVs. I'm hoping we can pull with a 350 diesel. A recommendation there?
I have seen many artists and others as well as myself use a toy hauler garage as an office. One gal had the garage looking better than the rest of the unit and used the ramp as a deck.

With the TH you will be adding weight to the back which will take weight off the front pin so a 350 can to the job. With a full unit like the DRV you will need a bigger truck. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.
We looked at the DRV Yesterday and really like it. Need to compare it with the Redwood now.
rrcollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcollings View Post
Thanks everyone.
We looked at the DRV Yesterday and really like it. Need to compare it with the Redwood now.
We were not very happy with our Redwood. It was one of the earlier builds so perhaps the quality issues are better now.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcollings
Thanks everyone.
Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon is an Excel dealer and probably has several in stock.

http://www.suttonrv.com/index.php

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #10

We recommend Guaranty RV Sales in Junction City Oregon just before Eugene. They are very good to work with. The salesman name was Clay if you are interested.
When you call them if you just have a question it is always friendly and you don't get rush. The repair section of the dealership is awful good to. We had a something fly up and damage the trailer they worked with use to fit us in to fix the trailer. We own a DRV tradition and just love it so far.

Good Luck with your search and here is a link to the DRV Forum

General Topics
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #11

Got an offer on the house last night. Now what??? Giving the furniture to the kids, moving to an apt for 6 months, then ordering the DRV Master Suite 38rssb3 with 4th slideout. We are asking the company to modify the 2nd slideout into a desk area with an extra outlet. We what to keep to a 1 ton vehicle of some sort, leaning towards the chevy. Trying to avoid the 450-550's just because.

Will work for another 6-7 years, i do project management for software implementations, so we will move around depending on where the projects take me.

Besides the RV and truck decisions, I need to figure out internet connectivity to the "mothership" (work). Is it as simple as a verizon or ATT wireless card or are there other communication options?

Thanks!
Ray
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

It's a Drv Mobile Suite. We bought a 36 ft rssb3 last fall and really like it. We also had to buy a new truck, a Ford F350 which can pull up to 22k. I think the Chevy 3500 also can pull that much. Don't think the new Dodge 3500 can. I think the disc brakes are standard, they are great. There is a Suites owners website, Suites Owners International Travel Club, Inc., you can post questions as a prospective owner. Drv's have a pretty loyal following, good factory support and nice rigs. Drv will do a lot of customization, good luck The Verizon aircard seems to be the best overall, don't bother with AT&T, they don't have as good coverage. Verizon mifi doesn't seem to work well.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Redwood is built by Thor and I'd pass on a Thor product for long term use. DRV has a far superior construction to a redwood.

Ken
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcollings
Besides the RV and truck decisions, I need to figure out internet connectivity to the "mothership" (work). Is it as simple as a verizon or ATT wireless card or are there other communication options?
I had a Verizon MiFi 4G for the last few months until I changed jobs and it worked well. I could get 4G connectivity in a lot of places and it can support 5 simultaneous wifi device connections. The advantage of the MiFi over traditional air cards is the wifi interface so it can be used with multiple devices at a time and with tablets that dont have the correct ports available. For your situation the MiFi would be my first pick.