Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator

Hi all. The wife and I are looking at a Mobile Suites with a Residential refrigerator, And my question is are there any problems with driving all day before hooking back up to external power?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the refer was factory install then the battery bank and inverter should be sized to run it with no trouble. Even if it was added later the inverter should use power from the alternator to keep the batteries charged. Shouldn't be a problem.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

You will love it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
You will love it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

We have a MH WITH A RESI. FRIDGE LUV it.
Run all day and no problems.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have an inverter to power the frig. Make sure you have a large battery bank and a charge line back from the tow truck.

Ken
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

Make sure it has an inverter. The early produced Mobile Suites didn't come with an inverter, it was an option that had to be ordered, some dealers didn't.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
As stated :
1) you will love it - no more hot food or milk
2) even if not properly sized batteries and inverter - how long will you drive between stops ? MOST res fridges will stay cold for hours if not opened !
Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

I believe Mr D is correct. They come with an inverter and dedicated battery. Post this question or any other about Drv products on the Suites owners site, www.suitesowners.com. You can sign up with little info and post any question on the "prospective owner" thread in the discussion forum.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
As stated :
1) you will love it - no more hot food or milk
2) even if not properly sized batteries and inverter - how long will you drive between stops ? MOST res fridges will stay cold for hours if not opened !
I have a residential fridge, which is not hooked up to an inverter. However, I don't travel more than 250-300 miles a day and only open the fridge, at lunch time. Never had any problems with food staying cold enough. However, I do run, with my generator occasionally, for A/C, because the DW complains about being "hot". Therefore, my fridge runs, at the same time.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

We have a fifth wheel with a residential fridge. It has a battery bank and inverter, but according to the battery voltage before and after we drive for a day, it has hardly kicked on. Fridge still reads 0 and 32 degrees upon arrival. No problems whatsoever and so much more room than even the largest rv/absorption fridges.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Not mentioned in this thread is HOW to travel with a residential refrigerator.

Today we needed to leave the brother-in-law's to get propane (down right cold in TX these days) and top off the fuel in prep for our lower TX trip next month. Well, the adventure started with the frig when a rude driver cut me off while I was making a tight right turn on a busy street. The back tire went over the curb (Poor design of intersection curbing. Was black from truck tires.) and the top doors of the frig flung open dumping the content on the floor! What a mess!

Morel to the story? Using the freezer lock will not keep the top doors shut in times of troubled waters. Now we are using a bungee on the handles to at least keep things in.

Overall it was one of those days that is great to have when you are not leaving for good. The propane station was down for meter repairs and would not fill us from a truck. The place they sent us to was in the opposite direction to their directions. When we finally arrived, the LP was on the other side of cratered lot around the big repair building. (Big Tex Trailer) Oh yea. We had to backtrack the cratered nursery because there was no other way out. And they were only $4 a gal!!!!!!!!!

OK. There is more that went not in our favor. The DEF is getting low so I thought I would top it off. Well don't yea know that after waiting for about 10 min for the 18 wheeler to get rolling I found the dispenser nozzle on the wrong side of the coach. Why not 2??? DEF will have to wate.

Stopped and got diesel for $3.55/gal and was thrilled. Then I drove off with the fuel cap off and the keys in the fuel door.

I hope I have all of my DA pills used up.

Hope your trails are happier than our's were today.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Rick,

Sorry about your day! Sometimes it's just better to stay in bed (been there done that type of day)

As far as keeping the door closed I can give you two ideas: First is a product called Thumb lock fasteners. Thumb Lock Fasteners they sell one with a 48" strap. Depending on how your refrigerator is placed in your unit, You can mount the fasteners on either side of the refrigerator and use the strap to keep the door shut.
Second:If you have double doors on top and freezer on bottom. Cut a "T" shaped piece of wood then cover it with felt or some type of soft material. You then slide the "T" behind the handles to hold it in place. The top of the "T" goes behind the double doors and the bottom slides behind the freezer door handle. Make sure the wood you use is as thick enough to make it a snug fit.

Or you can do what we do and use both...Works great.

Good Luck
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFretired View Post
Rick,

Sorry about your day! Sometimes it's just better to stay in bed (been there done that type of day)

As far as keeping the door closed I can give you two ideas: First is a product called Thumb lock fasteners. Thumb Lock Fasteners they sell one with a 48" strap. Depending on how your refrigerator is placed in your unit, You can mount the fasteners on either side of the refrigerator and use the strap to keep the door shut.
Second:If you have double doors on top and freezer on bottom. Cut a "T" shaped piece of wood then cover it with felt or some type of soft material. You then slide the "T" behind the handles to hold it in place. The top of the "T" goes behind the double doors and the bottom slides behind the freezer door handle. Make sure the wood you use is as thick enough to make it a snug fit.

Or you can do what we do and use both...Works great.

Good Luck
Great ideas. We have the Maytag French door residential model. The little looped bungee cord with the ball on the end works fine.

Staying in bed was not an option. It got into the 20's last night and the LP furnaces were running frequently. We definitely didn't want to go dry on LP.

Happy trails and warmer ones too,
Rick

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator