Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

restore shine to dull fiberglass rv sides

Has anyone ever tried to use wd40 to shine their rv's? I put some on a small section tonite on my cardinal 5th wheel. and wow what a difference. Anyone know if it will hurt the finish later on ? I hand waxed one side of the 29 ft. yesterday and my butt is draggin .every bone in my body hurts. This wd40 goes on so easy.

thanks for any input

Rick
tebitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Read this thread,

or this one

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
WD40

If I'm not mistaken, WD40 stands for Water Disburtion, formual #40! It does work well for removing gooy, sticky stuff, and may for a while give a shine to your glass. The base oil used is fish oil! In the sun, it might turn yellow, however.

I bought a used fiberglass boat a few years ago. The hull and deck were in pretty bad oxidized condition. I used a marine product called Fiberglass Restore and it worked well. I will admitt, using a power buffer makes the job a lot easier!

If your glass is oxidized, or turning yellow form the layers of wax, you probably would have best results by buying a slow speed power buffer and using Final Buff auto polish to bring back the color and shine.

Yes, your bones are going to ache for a few days!

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Red Max pro at Lowes or Zep at Home Depot. There are several bottles to chose from. Use the "finish" product. It should contain 20%, or better, polymer for a good seal. It will not yellow. It is plastic, not wax. Have used it for a long time on boats and RV's. Can be removed with Ammonia. It WILL seal in any thing left on the surface. Very good prep is the key here. Squeaky clean.
cjensen91910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WARNING!!!! DON'T USE WD-40 anywhere close to decals! Unless you're trying to remove them. I know this from experience in removing my decals and finding that WD-40 loosened the glue of the decals and made the job go so much quicker. Good news is that it won't hurt the fiberglass....well, at least with my experience. Of course I didn't leave the WD-40 the RV.

Check out our blog for a little write-up.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
WARNING!!!! DON'T USE WD-40 anywhere close to decals! Unless you're trying to remove them. I know this from experience in removing my decals and finding that WD-40 loosened the glue of the decals and made the job go so much quicker.
Check out our blog for a little write-up.
Makes great sense. I use WD-40 to help me remove labels from products. Sometimes I remove the label and it leaves goo that is difficult/impossible to remove... except with WD-40