Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Thumbs down Retiring soon full time RVing

Hello everyone!!
I am new to the forum and to RV's, I plan to retire in the next 6 to 8 months and plan to sell the house, buy a fifth wheel and go full time following the weather.
Do any of you have any advise on full timing, best fifth wheel for full time under 80k and recommendations on the best truck for pulling the fifth wheel?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

I'd look for either a used DVR (2012-2013) or a new Montana Legacy.
Any of the big 3 trucks with a diesel and DRW.
Other brands would be a new Arctic Fox 35-5Z, new Heartland Big Horn or used Landmark.

You should be able to look at MSRP units around $110,000 and after 30% off MSRP you'd be around $77,000.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, I have been looking at the Keystone RV Montana, is this the same as the legacy?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Heartland has three models, Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country that are rated and warranted for full time use. We are living in our 2011 Landmark and have been in it for four years with few problems.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 AM   #5

full time

I am doing the same thing.
Find a Landmark 365 Ashland for $74000. They will always ask more but I know they can sell for this. If you in Ohio there is a brand new one on Ebay for a little over $74000. This is the most well built fifth wheel I have seen. We just went to a large RV Show in Pomona, Ca and the Landmark was easyly the best fifth wheel there.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

We are full timing in 39' Montana. Best quality for the money also u don't need the legecy addition.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

There is no best. Only what you like. I see full timers in 20 year old motor homes, nearly new cougar fivers and a lot of other things. Go searching find a floor plan you like. Then, without any salesmen bothering you go play house in each brand for about a half hour. Each of you make a list of likes and dislikes. Comparing each one until you find the one that gets your plus votes. People will tell you to get what their happy with, but fail to understand that their likes can be vastly different than yours.
We love ourCedar Creek, and honestly it has been great for the 10 years weve had it. Including 11 months of full time living. But that does mean it is best for anyone else. Remember,as full timers your going to be far heavier than a weekender, sodont get suckered into the dry weight mistake. Also look closely at trailers CCC.As for trucks? Once you decide on a fiver, the truck part should be easy. 3500 series SRW trucks should be good for a fiver up to around 13,000GVWR. Dually would be best for anything heavier.
Go drive all three trucks in the size that fits your trailer. They are all making decent trucks now days. The difference will be in your preceived ride and handling comfort.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Thanks for the input, Jayc and Deserthi, I do like the Landmark 365 they look like they are well built.
Jgriggs, the Montana is what we have been looking at the most, it is what the local camping world carries, my only concern was the lack of warranty for full timing but it appears none of the manufacturers warranties are very good anyway only 1 to 2 years at best.
450Donn, thanks for the advice about the 1/2 hour of playing house, we hadn't thought of that but makes perfect sense. Also I think I am missing something here, what did you mean by the Dry Weight Mistake?
How does everyone feel about aftermarket extended warranties?
Thanks again, this has been very helpful
Old 10-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Two things that were "must-haves" for me were: (1) I did not want an I-beam frame. (2) I wanted the Mor/ryde independent suspension. The only newer units built out there (at least in my price range) with both of those items are DRV Suites 5th wheels. Trailers are rolling earthquakes and the highway system in the U.S. leaves much to be desired, so I wanted the strongest frame and the most forgiving suspension I could afford. DRV frames are made of 15" of triple-stacked and welded boxed steel, so they are heavy. Excel trailers, although no longer being manufactured, are also boxed steel frames, although not quite as robust. If you do your homework, you'll find something in your price range. RV Trader is a good site to find what you're looking for. Good luck!
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

Dry weight mistake? Easy. Most all manufacturers want to list dry or shipping weights in their brochures. No one has ever towed a dry RV. The industry now places a plackard in each towable RV that supposidly lists the actual weight as it left the factory, minis battery, propane, water etc. With that and its GVWR from the tag on the left front corner you can get a good idea of load carrying capacity. Believe me, you will use every bit of it sooner or later.
Now, since there is no such thing as a dry trailer, and knowing your full time you need to assume that you will be at or very close to the trailers GVWR. So, to be safe, take the trailers GVWR when considering a new TV. Make sense so far? Good. Generally speaking fifth wheel trailers carry approx 20% of their total weight as pin weight. So to make my example easy, a 10,000 pound GVWR fiver will have 2,000 pounds of pin weight. Mine happens to be closer to 23% and Im not full time.
Someone suggested a DRV. Nice trailers, but if you check around youll discover because of weight many owners are using a MDT for towing them. Do you really want that? SRW trucks are more convenient, but on the back side you sacrifice load carrying capacity. Duallies will carry more, but still may not be enough.
One advantage, you can buy really nice used MDTs for less than a new dually. So you at least owe it to yourself to investigate them.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Here is my advice! 32K combined, no you don't NEED a MDT! Within front/rear axle ratings and combined ratings.

Tags
full time, rving