Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #1

info in reversing or rasing a 1988 25ft 5th wheel
setterrunbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #2

info in reversing or rasing a 1988 25ft 5th wheel
Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #3

After thinking of other options, I relocated my axles from above the springs to below on my 5th wheel.

I bought a pile of weathered 4x12's that I cut into 2' lengths for super-stable blocking and removed the axles. New perches came from a local auto parts store. I lined them up with the existing perches and clamped them down, and had them welded by a professional.

Took part of a day to complete, and was well less than $100 including paying a welder.

The trailer handles fine at the new height, and I have plenty of breathing room above the bed.

I choose this method because I could easily reverse it (with the stock perches still in place) if I didn't like how it turned out or how it handed...

Anyhow, welcome to the forum.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
First of all, welcome to iRV2.com. We're glad to have you with us.

The process to which you refer is incorrectly known as "flipping the axles". This is incorrect since the orientation of the axles should not be changed because almost all axles have camber built into them. Rather, the axle is relocated from above to below the springs - this requires new spring perches to be installed on the top of the axle. Kits are available from axle manufacturers such as Dexter to accomplish this.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #5

rhanks you all for your imput have a nice day Bob
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #6

I should mention that there are bolt on kits that locate on the existing spring perches. Though I'm sure they are plenty strong, they are more expensive, so I think it cost me about the same to have plain welded on perches put on.

Some folks prefer to cut the stock perches off and reweld them on the other side of the tube, but I liked having the stock ones to go by to make sure the new ones are located properly... plus I like the idea of being able to put it back.

Other options might be bigger tires (possibly with larger wheels) if you have clearance, or making a sub-frame to raise the chassis...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote