Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Rhino Roof Covering

The Excel website is touting a new Rhino roof system. They say it is seamless, maintenance free, fireproof, has a built in UV protectant, etc. and can be applied to new or older units. Anyone have any experience with this product
SmilinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I saw a post on here some time ago where the owner was going to try it. Then saw nothing additional. I would think if Excel is using it they have tested it and think it will work well. Seems they use it on a lot of other things.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

I want to do my Jeep in it. Works great in pickup beds.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

I too am interested. Just waiting for good feedback.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

I have the Rhino system on my slider roofs. It is way too early to tell how it will hold up but it sure looks durable.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #6

I believe there is an outfit in FL that has been redoing old roofs with Rhino lining for quite some time. Based on the wear/tear on my last 3 pickup beds, I think this will work well. One of the problems that I have heard mentioned, was how to get it to adhere to wood. Supposedly, this has been solved.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I believe there is an outfit in FL that has been redoing old roofs with Rhino lining for quite some time
The Florida company is RVRoof.com . They have their own spray on formulation called RV Flex Armor. Their's is white, unlike the silver Rhino roof material applied by Excel.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Doesn't the coarseness of rhino wear on the slider seals roofs
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Doesn't the coarseness of rhino wear on the slider seals roofs
The Rhino/Line-X linings being used on roofs don't contain the added abrasives that are added to the truck bed lining mixture. The abrasives are added to prevent things sliding around in the truck bed.

When it's time for a new roof on mine I will not hesitate to have this done. I've seen a few of these in person and it's fantastic.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #10

Good to know thanks
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #11

I went to an RV last weekend where a local dealer for the Excel products were showing 2 5th wheel units.
Both had this "new" coating applied and they were advertising it heavily as well. The looking of the aluminized coating on the roof looks fantastic and appears to provide a seamless weather-proof coating. They claim it has superior UV protection in the formula for RV roofs.
Even though I am just now buying a brand new toy hauler this month (already ordered it) when the warranty runs out, this will be the first major improvement I will make.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback guys (& gals). Yes, based on the durability of the spray in bed liners, if this stuff is as good, I think I would use it as well. Good to know they will spray older units as well. If any of you who have this type system on your roof have any problems with it, I hope you'll post here so the rest of us will know...
SmilinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #13

bed liner

I also heard of the Rhino line used on roofs. In my shop we spray speedliner
because we do more in the offshore market . I called them on our rebuild of a older Teton I bought. They assured me I could apply the liner to wood.
It is a bit of prep work and hard work. But in my case the fifth wheel suffered damage from water on its corners. So with the new siding I wanted a tight seal. I have since preped a older bed slide style camper for a friend in the name of science and sprayed the roof. So far we have all but destroyed it . It was a thickness of 1/4 and we couldn't drive a rebar through it . So I am sure tree limbs are going to be no problem. The older rubber style roof is a great thing although any thing coming into contact with it will ruin a camper quickly. After a week we also used a pressure washer and no leaks yet.
So if the question is about using bedliner? I say YES! No other way.
And have the seal sprayed over the edge of the siding and down the small seams on the cap. And not over the old roof fabric, remove it! It can be color matched. It looks good and is the only roof to have from what I have seen. I do suggest not giving a 40' 1/4 inch of spray though. It does weigh a bit. Mine although will be 1/4 " .. We use the commercial product speedliner on saltwater items like docks , boats , concrete. No fail.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #14

I noticed Excel started out with the Rhino roof having a lifetime warranty and then changed it to 5 years. They also recommend a 2nd AC unit now as it heats the rig up more.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof