Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #1

Does anyone carry kpassengers in a fifth wheel when traveling, or have you heard of it being done? We know someone who does and it doesn't seem like a very good idea, or very safe either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #2

Does anyone carry kpassengers in a fifth wheel when traveling, or have you heard of it being done? We know someone who does and it doesn't seem like a very good idea, or very safe either.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I have never done it. However, I understand it's legal in many states so long as there is some form of two way communication established.

I don't see any big problem with it when it's legal, it'd be a good way for someone to catch a nap or for one to sleep while the other drives.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I guess I'm going to differ with Richard on this one. Have you ever seen an RV in the median after an accident? Generally, they come apart like a 50 cent suitcase in a rainstorm. I wouldn't even allow our Shelties to ride in the 5th wheel, let alone humans.

JMHO....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #5

For a good video description of this go rent "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucy & Ricky. She decides she is going to make dinner in the trailer while Ricky drives. I need to go see "RV" and see if it is better than the Lucy classic.

I know a few humans (that I dont like)that could ride in mine but Murphy would never be allowed to
Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I'm going to differ with Richard on this one. Have you ever seen an RV in the median after an accident? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem with differing, that's what makes these forums interesting.

I've seen pulverized compact cars, demolished truck tractors, pickups with their cabs torn off, and many other various vehicles wrecked and scattered about the medians. Folks still ride in them.

I'd rather be in a wreck riding in a trailer than to be in a smash up on a motorcycle. There's a certain amount of risk in everything we do.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, it's certainly OK to differ. As my dear old departed Dad used to say, "People can disagree without being disagreeable."

My concern with someone riding in the 5th wheel is that 5th wheel trailers aren't governed by occupant safety standards, while the trucks are. I'm certainly not a huge fan of government regulation, but the fact is that the truck has proper seat belts, crush zones, a roof that has to meet rollover standards, etc. - the 5th wheel has none of these. If the worst happens and things turn to apple butter, I want to give people the best chance to come away alive and uninjured as possible.

As far as motorcycles are concerned, I ride a BMW K1200GT, but I'm a believer in ATGATT - all the (safety) gear, all the time. Motorcycle riding is inherently more dangerous than traveling in a car, so why not minimize the dangers as much as possible?

Again, JMHO.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #8

I agree with RustyJC -- I to am an ATGATT believer. We take our camper & Goldwing a lot - I always give way when on the bike (even if I am in the right). I doesn't matter if I had right of way if I'm dead.

That defensive attitude carrie's over to trailering & driving in general.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #9

On any public roads, it is not OK if I am driving or it is my equipment. I would strongly discourage any of my extended family from doing it with their own equipment. I might consider it in a campground or moving the TT from the front yard to the back yard where expected speed is less than 5 MPH.

Curt

2003 PT Cruiser
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I going with the, I won't ride in a trailer and I won't pull one with a passenger. If you get in an accident, you don't stand a chance. The walls have no support and everything in there will flying like drunken geese.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #11

Our older son refused to get up one morning that we were pulling out, so I pulled up to the dump station with him in bed. He was out the moment it stopped. I would definitley not let anyone ride in our going down thr raod.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #12

I would never allow any of my family to ride in a RV going down the road. Even if it is legal in some states, it is unsafe.
cindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #13

Yes, in some states it is legal to ride in a travel trailer or 5er; unwise, but legal. It is quite similar to placing an egg in an empty shoebox and pulling it along with a string. Everythings fine so far, oops, you rounded a corner and hit the shoebox against a stone curb, crushing part of it. Wonder what happens to the egg? Hey, I just made an analogy!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #14

I have traveled some distance in the back of a fifth wheel and let me tell you I would never do it again. The ride is not very good, the best place is up over the hitch and you feel every road bump straight up through the unit. If you move to the rear you need dramamine, this fiver was and older unit and did not have shocks. It was a very unpleasent event and would never do it again.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote