Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Some photos of your new rig when you can would be nice..........Enjoy......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #16

Smart move IMO, enjoy life while you can.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Amen - it's never the 'right' time after it's too late

Congrats - now go camping and find out what Momma wants to change so you'll have time to trade that one in
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnprincess View Post
Folks we have found a great deal on a DRV and are having last minute jitters. We are probably 6 years from retirement and until then will only be able to travel maybe four weeks per year. We are considering buying now because of the state of the economy and interest rates and our ability to pay for now vs when we earn less. Is it unwise to buy this level of RV 6 years before we can use it on a more regular basis? We have camped for years and currently have a fifth wheel. We would camp very week if we could but our jobs keep is very busy, Thanks for your experienced insights!
Never finance a depreciating asset--it kills your net worth from 2 ways:interest payments and asset depreciation. Save your money and pay cash. If you need a loan, with respect, you can't afford it. A house is an exception since they (usually) appreciate. This is what an economist will tell you. A RV salesman would say the opposite.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Enjoy it now!

My departed brother talked about his dream RV.
He was going to buy it the day the retired.
He passed away less than a year form that date.

We have been battling health issues for a few years and really
understand the need to do things NOW.... not later.
There may be no later.

Enjoy you new hobby and lifestyle.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Enjoy it now!

There may be no later.

Can't argue with that.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post

Never finance a depreciating asset--it kills your net worth from 2 ways:interest payments and asset depreciation. Save your money and pay cash. If you need a loan, with respect, you can't afford it. A house is an exception since they (usually) appreciate. This is what an economist will tell you. A RV salesman would say the opposite.
I agree with your financial observations. Our net worth is just fine. Thx though.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #22

Tough question. I'd be inclined to buy now but 5 years from now there will be space age stuff in rv's... Seems like every year, the upgrades keep expanding.

If you do buy now, just don't ever go to another rv show
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Enjoy it now!

There may be no later.

We bought our retirement rig in 2002 since we only had a "few years" to go. Then my parents went downhill and needed more time and care, the passed away seven years ago. Then my step daughter died five years ago so we "inherited" her two kids. The oldest is 21 and moved out, the youngest is 13 so still "a few years to go".
Now my wife's health has really gone downhill and she was off work for 3 months. Still only working part time. We came real close to buying a new Dutch Star 3 weekends ago. She really loved it, right down to the colors. But she refused to spend the money. Just tonight she was telling me how weak and run down she feels. She thinks she needs another iron infusion, but the last three had put her in the ER, the ICU and a week in the hosp.
I know we can afford to retire next year when we can draw against our annuities, but then what do we do about the grandchild? I suppose we could take him with us and road school.
I'm really feeling that she/we won't ever get to retire and enjoy it.
So, do it when you can!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Tough question. I'd be inclined to buy now but 5 years from now there will be space age stuff in rv's... Seems like every year, the upgrades keep expanding.

If you do buy now, just don't ever go to another rv show
My wife won't let me!! But I love to look anyway and shop the accessories.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We bought our retirement rig in 2002 since we only had a "few years" to go. Then my parents went downhill and needed more time and care, the passed away seven years ago. Then my step daughter died five years ago so we "inherited" her two kids. The oldest is 21 and moved out, the youngest is 13 so still "a few years to go".
Now my wife's health has really gone downhill and she was off work for 3 months. Still only working part time. We came real close to buying a new Dutch Star 3 weekends ago. She really loved it, right down to the colors. But she refused to spend the money. Just tonight she was telling me how weak and run down she feels. She thinks she needs another iron infusion, but the last three had put her in the ER, the ICU and a week in the hosp.
I know we can afford to retire next year when we can draw against our annuities, but then what do we do about the grandchild? I suppose we could take him with us and road school.
I'm really feeling that she/we won't ever get to retire and enjoy it.
So, do it when you can!!
I am so sorry to hear all you have been through. What great parents and grandparents you are. Good for you for taking care of those you love. I am a cancer survivor so I understand how your health can be gone in an instant. Even more reason to enjoy every moment possible when we can. I pray that for you. Keep looking and dreaming. Hope is good medicine.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #26

We just bit the bullet and bought a new, last year model 2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T. Yes, we financed it at 3.75%, it is the first vehicle or RV I have financed in over 20 years. It had an MSRP of $67K (I know, BS!) but we traded our very trusty but travel worn '04 AF that needed a new roof and some major structural repair for a final financed price of less than $40K and I will be adding some more cash when we sign the paperwork. This is full time ready, complete with more stuff than we "need", like fireplace, genset, central vac, 36" TV, full size shower etc. Everything else we own is paid for, including the house. I am one click away from 70 and may not live long enough to pay it off, but my wife will have some insurance to play with. I have been struggling with the decision to finance for several years now, I could pay it off but the early withdraw penalties would be worse than interest charges. Next year's models go up 4 1/2% and I'm sure that's going to continue every year the government keeps printing "money". Oh, and we can take a meager tax writeoff if we use it 2 weeks/year too.....