Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,731
Some photos of your new rig when you can would be nice..........Enjoy......
__________________

__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,206
Smart move IMO, enjoy life while you can.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,831
Amen - it's never the 'right' time after it's too late

Congrats - now go camping and find out what Momma wants to change so you'll have time to trade that one in
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnprincess View Post
Folks we have found a great deal on a DRV and are having last minute jitters. We are probably 6 years from retirement and until then will only be able to travel maybe four weeks per year. We are considering buying now because of the state of the economy and interest rates and our ability to pay for now vs when we earn less. Is it unwise to buy this level of RV 6 years before we can use it on a more regular basis? We have camped for years and currently have a fifth wheel. We would camp very week if we could but our jobs keep is very busy, Thanks for your experienced insights!
Never finance a depreciating asset--it kills your net worth from 2 ways:interest payments and asset depreciation. Save your money and pay cash. If you need a loan, with respect, you can't afford it. A house is an exception since they (usually) appreciate. This is what an economist will tell you. A RV salesman would say the opposite.
__________________
--Jeffrey Steinberg, Scarsdale,NY
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Duramax/Allison. Renting a travel trailer until I decide.
jsteinberg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Oldme's Avatar
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 456
Enjoy it now!

My departed brother talked about his dream RV.
He was going to buy it the day the retired.
He passed away less than a year form that date.

We have been battling health issues for a few years and really
understand the need to do things NOW.... not later.
There may be no later.

Enjoy you new hobby and lifestyle.
__________________
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Enjoy it now!

My departed brother talked about his dream RV.
He was going to buy it the day the retired.
He passed away less than a year form that date.

We have been battling health issues for a few years and really
understand the need to do things NOW.... not later.
There may be no later.

Enjoy you new hobby and lifestyle.
Can't argue with that.
__________________
--Jeffrey Steinberg, Scarsdale,NY
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Duramax/Allison. Renting a travel trailer until I decide.
jsteinberg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post

Never finance a depreciating asset--it kills your net worth from 2 ways:interest payments and asset depreciation. Save your money and pay cash. If you need a loan, with respect, you can't afford it. A house is an exception since they (usually) appreciate. This is what an economist will tell you. A RV salesman would say the opposite.
I agree with your financial observations. Our net worth is just fine. Thx though.
__________________
docnprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
EnolaEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 248
Tough question. I'd be inclined to buy now but 5 years from now there will be space age stuff in rv's... Seems like every year, the upgrades keep expanding.

If you do buy now, just don't ever go to another rv show
__________________
-Todd
07' Chevy 2500 ext cab/long bed Duramax
05' Jayco Eagle 291RLTS Phivvy
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Enjoy it now!

My departed brother talked about his dream RV.
He was going to buy it the day the retired.
He passed away less than a year form that date.

We have been battling health issues for a few years and really
understand the need to do things NOW.... not later.
There may be no later.

Enjoy you new hobby and lifestyle.
We bought our retirement rig in 2002 since we only had a "few years" to go. Then my parents went downhill and needed more time and care, the passed away seven years ago. Then my step daughter died five years ago so we "inherited" her two kids. The oldest is 21 and moved out, the youngest is 13 so still "a few years to go".
Now my wife's health has really gone downhill and she was off work for 3 months. Still only working part time. We came real close to buying a new Dutch Star 3 weekends ago. She really loved it, right down to the colors. But she refused to spend the money. Just tonight she was telling me how weak and run down she feels. She thinks she needs another iron infusion, but the last three had put her in the ER, the ICU and a week in the hosp.
I know we can afford to retire next year when we can draw against our annuities, but then what do we do about the grandchild? I suppose we could take him with us and road school.
I'm really feeling that she/we won't ever get to retire and enjoy it.
So, do it when you can!!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Tough question. I'd be inclined to buy now but 5 years from now there will be space age stuff in rv's... Seems like every year, the upgrades keep expanding.

If you do buy now, just don't ever go to another rv show
My wife won't let me!! But I love to look anyway and shop the accessories.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We bought our retirement rig in 2002 since we only had a "few years" to go. Then my parents went downhill and needed more time and care, the passed away seven years ago. Then my step daughter died five years ago so we "inherited" her two kids. The oldest is 21 and moved out, the youngest is 13 so still "a few years to go".
Now my wife's health has really gone downhill and she was off work for 3 months. Still only working part time. We came real close to buying a new Dutch Star 3 weekends ago. She really loved it, right down to the colors. But she refused to spend the money. Just tonight she was telling me how weak and run down she feels. She thinks she needs another iron infusion, but the last three had put her in the ER, the ICU and a week in the hosp.
I know we can afford to retire next year when we can draw against our annuities, but then what do we do about the grandchild? I suppose we could take him with us and road school.
I'm really feeling that she/we won't ever get to retire and enjoy it.
So, do it when you can!!
I am so sorry to hear all you have been through. What great parents and grandparents you are. Good for you for taking care of those you love. I am a cancer survivor so I understand how your health can be gone in an instant. Even more reason to enjoy every moment possible when we can. I pray that for you. Keep looking and dreaming. Hope is good medicine.
__________________
docnprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
road dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 7S5
Posts: 571
We just bit the bullet and bought a new, last year model 2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T. Yes, we financed it at 3.75%, it is the first vehicle or RV I have financed in over 20 years. It had an MSRP of $67K (I know, BS!) but we traded our very trusty but travel worn '04 AF that needed a new roof and some major structural repair for a final financed price of less than $40K and I will be adding some more cash when we sign the paperwork. This is full time ready, complete with more stuff than we "need", like fireplace, genset, central vac, 36" TV, full size shower etc. Everything else we own is paid for, including the house. I am one click away from 70 and may not live long enough to pay it off, but my wife will have some insurance to play with. I have been struggling with the decision to finance for several years now, I could pay it off but the early withdraw penalties would be worse than interest charges. Next year's models go up 4 1/2% and I'm sure that's going to continue every year the government keeps printing "money". Oh, and we can take a meager tax writeoff if we use it 2 weeks/year too.....
__________________

__________________
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.