Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #1

Right time to buy?

Folks we have found a great deal on a DRV and are having last minute jitters. We are probably 6 years from retirement and until then will only be able to travel maybe four weeks per year. We are considering buying now because of the state of the economy and interest rates and our ability to pay for now vs when we earn less. Is it unwise to buy this level of RV 6 years before we can use it on a more regular basis? We have camped for years and currently have a fifth wheel. We would camp very week if we could but our jobs keep is very busy, Thanks for your experienced insights!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #2

Interesting question. We did not buy until we got closer to retirement. Our thought was we can use it 200 to 250 days a year. No sense buying something we could not really use. Starting in 3 weeks we will use it approx. 300 days. Bought the rig last year so we waited.

If you are buying new things will change like all LED lighting, or cell phone charging stations and who knows in 6 years....

I would wait until 1.5 years from retirement and then start looking. Buy 6 to 9 months before retirement.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I agree, it is an interesting question, and I expect I could make arguments for either way.

But I think I probably end up agreeing with Tuffr2. Especially if your current fiver will work for you now until you get a little closer to retirement. Being able to use a high end fiver for only 4 weeks a year gets a little harder to justify when you consider the depreciation each year.

As to being able to better pay for it while working-that should really be mostly a non-issue unless I'm missing something. As long as you are disciplined, if you can pay for it now, or make payments now, while working-just put that same amount of money away each month. When you get closer to retirement, you will then either have a large down payment or the cash to buy.

We had a nice SOB fiver that we used for 6 years prior to retirement, although much more than 4 weeks a year. But when we retired and went FTing, we traded for a rig that was built to withstand the rigors of FTing.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

I can't answer your question directly, but can only speak for us.

We have owned our 5er for 4 years - previously we owned pop-ups and a small Class C. Since we still w@#k (we are 2 years from retirement) we use our rig approximately 12 weekends from the 1st part of April into the middle of October, and a 2-week trip during the summer. and really enjoy the rig we have.

Would we like to have a newer, bigger unit now? You betcha! But we are saving our sheckels for a full-time rig - we will not finance it when we retire. And, the longer we wait, the more we learn about the different options we will want with the next 5er. Also, there seems to be some improvements each year.

We have decided on the floor plan we want, and a list of manufacturers we will select from. So, this summer we will use our vacation to visit these manufacturers - tour theri plants, ask questions, see how willing they are to make changes to accommodate our desires.

Blessings and good luck.

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

Only if it's a used model and a really good deal, since you won't use it that much right now. Watch out though, we bought a 5'r when we found a really good deal and planned on using it for vacations and living in it while we built a house. Every vacation or weekend we took it out we did not want to come home. 1 year later we sold the house and went fulltime, no regrets
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Only if it's a used model and a really good deal, since you won't use it that much right now. Watch out though, we bought a 5'r when we found a really good deal and planned on using it for vacations and living in it while we built a house. Every vacation or weekend we took it out we did not want to come home. 1 year later we sold the house and went fulltime, no regrets
Haha! Thx much
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnprincess View Post
We are considering buying now because of the state of the economy and interest rates and our ability to pay for now vs when we earn less.
Faulty logic. You should NEVER buy an RV on credit. Save up your money and pay cash for it. If you've got 6 years until retirement, then that's plenty of time to get out of debt and save up enough to pay cash for a full-timer RV nearer to your actual retirement date. Then your reduced retirement income won't be a factor in how much RV you can afford.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #8

That is what i am currently doing saving. I can't buy my FW until i move from hawaii. So i am saving five years to go for retirement. Plan is to buy a Used FT FW first. The Truck will be ordered New built, for what i will be needing. The dealers always add something you don't always need for towing. I will be adding B & W 20K Champion FW hitch. So my planing is in the works.
Best of Luck
Scott
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #9

Hey SmokeyWren,
you have over 50 years of towing experience??? Could you please come over and teach me how to tow our brand new Bighorn 5er. We bought it to full time in it while we build a new house.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSite View Post
Could you please come over and teach me how to tow our brand new Bighorn 5er. We bought it to full time in it while we build a new house.
So you skipped the DRV and bought a new Bighorn instead?

I built my retirement home after I retired. I lived in a shack for the almost-two years to took me to build the house. The new house is 2,800 sq ft ranch style with not even one stair or step anywhere (wheel-chair friendly for "just in case"). I designed the floor plan using a PC home architect software that was available back in 1995 when I started this project. My nephew the architect used AutoCAD and turned the floor plan into blueprints that could be used by the concrete foundation and slab people.

I did 95% of the work myself, working by myself for the first year. Then I had help of my new Darling Wife who came along after the house was "in the dry". I did all the under-slab plumbing and above-slab plumbing except septic tank. I did all the carpentry, electrical, doors, windows, wall insulation, and roofing. L'il Bro and his wife visited for a few weeks in the summer and helped with the drywall, and installed sterio speakers in the ceiling of all the rooms in the house. Darling Wife showed up in time to help with the cabinets, fixtures, flooring and painting.

2,800 sq feet of Italian ceramic tile floors - no carpet because of "just in case". (I had earlier buried a wheelchair-bound wife of 34 years of marriage, so I was aware of "just in case".)

Well, take it back on the carpentry. I designed engineered roof trusses, then had them built by a truss company. After I had finished building all the 2x6 exterior walls, I hired a carpenter crew of off-duty firemen to come in and stand up the walls and install the roof trusses on the walls. Then I quickly installed the roof sheathing and roof before a nice west Texas windstorm could come along and made a big mess.

Pros I hired in addition to those off-duty firemen included folks to do the concrete, HVAC, septic tank, blown-in attic insulation, and bricklayers for the brick fašade siding.

Very memorable project. Best part was going to town almost every day to by supplies at Home Depot, Loews, Builder's Square, and other lumber yards. I had new pickup, a new 16' utility trailer, and all sorts of new toys such as air nailers, table saw, chop/miter saw, Skill saw, etc., etc.

But back on topic.

You're the best teacher to learn how to handle that huge 5er. Find a big empty parking lot on a Sunday afternoon, set out some traffic cones (or scrap lumber) for corners and buildings you don't want to run over, and practice backing that monster trailer into tight "camping spots", or "driveways", or just making a 90░ turn while going forward, then a 90░ turn while backing into that driveway. When making a 90░ turn with that long trailer, if you don't already know then you'll soon learn that you have to "swing wide" to make the turn without running over something such as a curb or a street sign or another vehicle.

After you get where you can back into a 20' wide driveway or camping space without running over a cone, then get serious. Narrow the driveway to 12', then back into it from a street that requires you to back into a 90░ turn to nail that driveway. That's real world. Most driveways are 90░ to the street. And most campsites are not exactly a straight backup job.

With several hours of practice, you'll probably be good enough to turn loose on the public streets and campgrounds.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

We bought our new 5'er 3 weeks ago and while I'm retired my wife has 5 yrs to go. We were going to wait for a few yrs but got the itch and were getting tired of our TT. We are able to only use it for 30-40 nights a year. Not much, but at least it won't be worn out when we hit the road for longer trips when the wife retires. Not sure about the logic of buying a high end unit and not using it much before you retire thinking. If you can afford it what's the diff? I certainly would buy one at least 1 to 1-1/2 yrs before you retire. Too many units have problems and you don't want to be trying to get ready for traveling while it's in the shop. I would like to have some time to get the bugs worked out, get it setup the way you like, get out and use it, etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Buy it now and enjoy it! besides your vacation of 4 weeks you also have every weekend, or you can save.......wait.......and then the man with no face shows up and asks you to go for a walk with him........party over.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Buy it now and enjoy it! besides your vacation of 4 weeks you also have every weekend, or you can save.......wait.......and then the man with no face shows up and asks you to go for a walk with him........party over.
Thanks. Great advice. . We did buy it! We can easily afford it now and I have already faced death once with cancer and travelling in our camper is what we love to do so we went for it! We bought the DRV and it is awesome. We have 8 trips planned between now and November. God is good and we are ready to rock and roll! Happy travels to you!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
We bought our new 5'er 3 weeks ago and while I'm retired my wife has 5 yrs to go. We were going to wait for a few yrs but got the itch and were getting tired of our TT. We are able to only use it for 30-40 nights a year. Not much, but at least it won't be worn out when we hit the road for longer trips when the wife retires. Not sure about the logic of buying a high end unit and not using it much before you retire thinking. If you can afford it what's the diff? I certainly would buy one at least 1 to 1-1/2 yrs before you retire. Too many units have problems and you don't want to be trying to get ready for traveling while it's in the shop. I would like to have some time to get the bugs worked out, get it setup the way you like, get out and use it, etc.
I agree with you. We have a few years left to be really responsible but if the market turns around and someone offers the right price for our house we would sell it and live in our 5er no problem! So we bought the DRV and are thrilled. Thanks much and enjoy yours! We have a bunch of trips planned. Woo hoo!