Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

Road conditions from Pecos TX to Roswell NM

Hi all,

We are preparing to take our first road trip with our Chaparral 336 fifth wheel. We are heading to Ruidoso, but have heard that oilfield traffic may be heavy, and may have damaged the roads. I'm assuming that oilfield traffic isn't as heavy now as it once was, but haven't found anything re: road conditions.

Does anyone have recent experience on that stretch of road? Should we look for an alternate route? Is there an internet site designed for RVers that covers US road conditions?

Thanks,

Randall
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #2

Sorry but I haven’t been on 285 in years but I’d suggest getting online or calling NM dept. of Highways and get a report from them. NM usually does a good job with the roads so my guess is it’s going to be good.

I grew up in El Paso and have family in Cruces and Ruidoso so when we go we try to make the big circle staying in Pecos one night then to Cruces for several days to gorge on what I call real Mexican food then up the hill to Ruidoso. We also have family in Lubbock so we go through there also.

Last time we went to Ruidoso we didn’t make reservations soon enough and ended up staying at RV Resort of Ruidoso. It turned out to be a really nice place but it’s on 70 so there was traffic noise all the time.

We looked at all the RV Parks up there and really liked up in Alto the best, Eagle Creek was great but full and we fell in love with Little Creek next time we go we are going to try and stay there.

Hope this helps.

P.S. All Stays is a great phone/tablet app for RVing, we also use Google Maps a lot.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
Hi all,

We are preparing to take our first road trip with our Chaparral 336 fifth wheel. We are heading to Ruidoso, but have heard that oilfield traffic may be heavy, and may have damaged the roads. I'm assuming that oilfield traffic isn't as heavy now as it once was, but haven't found anything re: road conditions.

Does anyone have recent experience on that stretch of road? Should we look for an alternate route? Is there an internet site designed for RVers that covers US road conditions?

Thanks,

Randall
Pecos to Carlsbad is HORRIBLE!! I swear, I'll never go on that road again. Last year (May) was the last time....The truckers are a PIA and the road is worse.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

I've driven that route many times and yes the road is bad from the NM state line to outskirts of Carlsbad. Otherwise it is ok and I didn't find the traffic that bad. Oilfield traffic east of Artesia is much worse. Any road damage from heavy truck traffic has probably not yet been repaired.

Don't know your location or other travel plans, but in recent years we have gone thru Lamesa and then west to Artesia or Roswell.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

Generally speaking, anywhere you cross from TX to NM, you don't need a border sign to tell you that you're in NM--the roads will tell you.
It's been a long time since I've been that way, but, again, generally speaking, TX roads (County to Farm to Farm-Market to State to Fed) are better than most any other state--too bad you have to go out of state...
Good luck on the NM part.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

We are planning to head west on IH-10 from Kerrville, TX to Pecos, then head north on 285 to Roswell and then to Ruidoso for a week. We are planning to stay in Ft. Stockton for the night, so we will have a five hour drive the first day, and six hours the second day. Our three year old grandson is traveling with us, so that is as long a travel day as we want. This is our shakedown cruise, so I like the idea of spending the first day on the interstate to build my confidence before I head north on secondary roads. I did consider going the Lamesa route, it is only about 40 miles further that way, but then I don't have the luxury of IH-10 travel the first day. Would the road conditions on an alternate route be enough better to warrant losing the IH-10 travel time?
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

There are multiple ways to get to Roswell from Kerrville--Kerrville/Junction/San Angelo/Sterling City/Lamesa/Brownfield/Plains/Tatum/Roswell is one I have traveled many times. Roads are ok, lots of small towns/stoplights, but all add up to an easier drive (to me) to being on an interstate with a 75-80mph limit.
If getting a feel for towing is paramount, the interstate will be more consistent, but you will constantly be passed by semis and other running at or above the limits.
Hope whichever way you choose, everything goes well--having a little one along can be a lot of fun, or not, depending on how he takes to long hours in a car seat.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Don't take 285. That road is the worst. I suggest going through lamesa, brownfield, bronco, and then on to Roswell. I'm from Roswell but the way and I took 285 when I moved to Harlingen, worst mistake ever!
Cxgl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

285 is terrible...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
It's too bad 285 is in such bad shape because that was always a good route to take to Ruidoso. Where are you coming from? I assume you're not from Pecos. There are alternate routes.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #11

To bad 285 sucks so bad.

Since you're all the way down in Kerrville you can either go all the way to El Paso (it's a bit farther) and then up to Ruidoso or the San Angelo, Big Spring, Brownfield route on 87.

Two different drives, best of luck to y'all.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
To bad 285 sucks so bad.

Since you're all the way down in Kerrville you can either go all the way to El Paso (it's a bit farther) and then up to Ruidoso or the San Angelo, Big Spring, Brownfield route on 87.

Two different drives, best of luck to y'all.
That's actually a very good route if your coming from Kerrville. I have done this route 3 times the last couple years and will do so again on the way to Colorado in September. All the roads are very good.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drove the US 285 segment between Carlsbad and Pecos twice last fall. As others have said the oil field truckers have badly damaged the pavement. It was a gut jarring ride, and I have lived in New Mexico for most of 65 years. Kinda like the ride out to Tea Kittle Junction in Death Valley for those who know that stretch of road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #14

We' taken 285 three times. Each time it has been worse than the time before due to the "all & gas bidness" tearing the hell out of the highway. Fewer trucks last Spring. This year there should be very much less due to the crashing petro industry.

That said.... It is driveable but you have to take your time. Don't even think of making "knots". Just puddle along taking it carefully and safely.

I'd take I-10 San Antone, Kerrville, Junction, Sonora, Ozona to Ft Stockton. There is a convienent, if dreary & tawdry, Good Sam just east of Ft. Stockton to RON. If you are not familiar with west Texas.... it is a good day's drive from Kerrville to Ft Stockton when hearding an RV. I-10 is good all the way. 85 mph so stay right. Watch for high winds. Gas up; fill up; eat up, pee, check everything (double check tires) in Junction!!!!! There is a whole lot of nothing...between there and Ft Stockton.

There' a nice KOA north of Artesia. And excellent State Park, Bottomless Lakes, east of Roswell.

The kid will love the UFO museum in Roswell. They have "Gort" from the Day the Earth Stood Still.

380 west from Roswell to Lincoln to Capitan is all good. Also 70 to Ruidoso. Know that this is a long....long...climb and as you get higher it gets quite bendy. Check your stuff...

Alternative is Kerrville, San Angelo (nice KOA to RON)>Big Spring>Lamesa>Hobbs>Artesia. San Angelo to Artesia is a day's drive in an RV. All goodish roads. Lighter truck traffic. But again.... Pay attention to winds. And...west Texas is a big fat high desert. No deer, goats, sheep, cattle or jackrabbits. You might see Chichuhuan Crows or Ravens. (A good omen. They will watch over you as you travel and spreed the word of your location to their "Buds" a mile or two ahead....) LONG distances between very tiny towns. Keep a full fuel & water tank and comfort items like food.... Just in case. Its a big, fat, desert......

A last suggestion is to keep a ear tuned to the weather forcasts. Weather conditions in west Texas can change in minutes from a beautiful day to the most God-awful conditions you have never seen. Mighty important now that we are in La Nina patterns.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote