Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Roadside assistance

I’m looking into roadside assistance for my fifth wheel and truck. I’ve been considering Coach-Net and Good Sams, they both sound good but do they walk the talk. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.
Ronb110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronb110 View Post
I’m looking into roadside assistance for my fifth wheel and truck. I’ve been considering Coach-Net and Good Sams, they both sound good but do they walk the talk. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.
We have Good Sam rsa. No broblems. Used them twice. Fast service and courteous tecks.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronb110 View Post
The forum rv.net is owned by Camping World which in turn is the Good Sam bunch as you might know. There is a forum specific to comments regarding the Good Sam road side assistance program. You might pop in there and read some of the comments by folks who have used the road side assistance service.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Roadside assistance

Thank you for responding, I certainly will take a look at the rev forum. After making this post I was lead to a previous thread of the same topic from 10/18. That thread heavily favored Coach-Net, however I have a good friend that uses GS and he is very satisfied. I appreciate your help, safe travels andHappy New Year.
Ronb110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

I’ve heard FMCA’s RSA is top notch. I don’t have personal experience with it.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Right now we have both Good Sam and FMCA RSA. Trying to decide which to keep. LOL

My one experience with GS when we broke a spring last year out in Texas was not a positive experience.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
Right now we have both Good Sam and FMCA RSA. Trying to decide which to keep. LOL

My one experience with GS when we broke a spring last year out in Texas was not a positive experience.
I am also interested in this topic and will follow the responses. Can you elaborate on how GS was not a positive experience?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our only experience with GS was also not a positive one. I have not renewed since.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

I have had Coachnet for 10 years and have never had any problems with them. I have been towed 3 times in 10 years and as you can see by my picture I'm quite large. Last time was 140 miles and I have never seen a bill. I'm a fan.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I am also interested in this topic and will follow the responses. Can you elaborate on how GS was not a positive experience?

Sure thing. Shortly after getting back on eastbound I-10 after bypassing San Antonio I noticed I was seeing a bit more of one side of the trailer than normal. Having experienced this before when we broke a spring hanger up in Alaska I pulled into a rest area to check it out and found the broken spring. I immediately called GS RSA and they told me they would get right on getting someone out to take care of it and would keep me posted. In fairness this was on a holiday weekend in the middle of the afternoon. An hour or so passed and I called them. They told me a repair guy had been contacted and he would contact me to let me know when he would be there. A couple more hours passed and I had not heard from anyone. Now it was getting to be evening, so we booked a campsite at the Luling, TX exit, about nine miles up the road. I contacted GS RSA and advised them I had not heard from the repair guy, told them we had found a campground and I asked them if they had any problem with us moving to the campground. They said it would not be a problem and they would let the repair guy know where to find us. So we limped the nine miles and checked into the campground. Shortly after getting set up I got a call from GS RSA advising me the repair guy was at the rest area and since we had moved we would have to pay for him to come to us. Obviously they had not contacted him and he had not contacted me like I was told. I refused the service. The campground recommended a mobile repairman who did a lot of work for RV’ers there. He came out the next day and ended up getting us back on the road a few days later. It took a while because of parts issues and we ended up replacing all four springs with better ones as well as a bent rear axle. This guy was great and the cost was very reasonable! I highly recommend him: William Garner of Lone Star Services, (830) 463-1057. I think in retrospect the problem with GS RSA was their lack of communicating to me and their repair guy and his lack of communicating with me.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

I have Coachnet and had to be towed twice in 2015 within a 2 day period. Not a perfect experience, but the situation was unique and I have had them ever since. I'm going to stick with them.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #12

road side service

I don't know why in this day where cell phone service is good in the citys the provider can't be in better communication---- but confusion and poor communication seems to happen.

I had a blowout right at the beginning of a 4th of July holiday. I was told that many people were off fri night. It took a long time for a response. I was along a large freeway exit that would get very busy next morning in fact the police man that eventually came along told me that if it weren't as quiet as it was for now, he would have insisted that I be towed away. But gave us permission to set there in anticipation of service-- service that didn't arrive for several hours.
Then after the tire was fixed turns out the loose tread that flopped vigorously caused an electrical problem that the vehicle couldn't move. So called GS again and had a mechanic on the way only now it's 1AM. I am getting a little concerned about my location after a few car honking sometimes yelling which I couldn't under stand they couldn't see my flairs and realize I'm not there by choice.
So I discovered I could coast. After I walked to the bottom of the hill and found that there was a safe place off the road. I made a decision to get off what was going to be very busy and possibly dangerous freeway exit to the safe place off the road. Was only 500 feet farther down road but no one could figure where we were.
So I say all that, to say sometimes communications get a little confused and all we can do is our best-- hopefully as it did for us work out successfully in the end. So one could lay the delays at GS feet but it comes down to how successfully one communicates back and forth for best service.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #13

KZ RV Club
Coach Net for years used 3 times, two flats and one major break down. 2 times I had help in under an hour. 1 time east of Wolf Creek Pass near Cortez it took just under two hours to get two trucks from Durango, one for my F350 & another for my 5W. Twice drivers had me sign receipt - done. Once said he had been paid before he arrived. Google Good Sam Road side complaints or search some of the RV Forums.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #14

GS did great for me, towing the truck, and fw together to rv park then truck to the dealer.
It was a two hour wait, but roadside assistance is not like ordering a pizza.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote