Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance

Good Sam's is offering Roadside assistance for $79.99 for 39 hours more. Usually leary of this sales tactic so I thought I would ask here. Is that a good deal? What Roadside Assistance do you use and how much? Obviously I need/want it. Have been out of RVing for 12 years. We will be on the road in a couple of months.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Good Sam's is offering Roadside assistance for $79.99 for 39 hours more. Usually leary of this sales tactic so I thought I would ask here. Is that a good deal? What Roadside Assistance do you use and how much? Obviously I need/want it. Have been out of RVing for 12 years. We will be on the road in a couple of months.
It's a bait to get you to upgrade later on at more $$$$. Keep in mind if you have a motorhome, you have to get the platinum coverage. More $$$ again.

We've had their service, never have had to call them though. So I can't evaluate that part.

Lots of posts on this subject on this website.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
I have State Farm .. they provide same service
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
I have State Farm .. they provide same service
x2 !
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

Take a look at Coach Net. Good Sam has a lot of good and bad reviews - guess it depends on the situation. What prompted me to go with CoachNet is that they will tow my MH to an authorized service dealer regardless of distance at no additional charge. We have a MBS Sprinter, so authorized service dealers / locations can be spread pretty far apart. I found that a lot of the providers had caps on how far they would tow before it started costing me money. Some were as little as "closest mechanic", others were 50 - 200 miles. All depends on what you have and what you think you need. You really need to go through the phone print to understand what the roadside assistance plan really offers.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #6

I suppose I should have mentioned that I have a 5th wheel. There could be a situation in which I would need both towed. So, a second question - does roadside assistance cove towing my truck and my 5th wheel at once? Thanks for the responses.

Friz
Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

We've had their service, never have had to call them though. So I can't evaluate that part.

Lots of posts on this subject on this website.
We had their service for a while, but any time I ever called their standard "projected time wait" was 2 hours. The times we waited that two hours, it actually took longer then both times the folks they sent were ill-prepared. One time we had a flat tire and the wrecker driver didn't even have a jack to lift the trailer.

The other time the wrecker driver tried to use a jack on the axle tube - which should never be done.

One other time I went ahead and changed the tire myself rather than waiting the two hours and a young man stopped to help. He wouldn't let me pay him, but I gave him $40 to take his wife out to dinner. When I called to cancel the roadside service they asked if I paid the helper...I explained what I did and they reimbursed me. A check was waiting for me when I got home. That was unexpected and nice, but not enough to keep me paying for a service that was pretty much worthless.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
JDT

It's for new members only. I've been with them for 5 years but never used it. My renewal comes up in May. If they want to hang on to us current members looks like they would offer it to us also.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #9

I don't want a dollar of mine going to camping world or it's parent company.
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #10

I have GS roadside, and the one time I used it paid for 5 years of the cost.
Garyp4951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

we are members of escapees and they are offering roadside assistance we are still researching but thinking this is the one for us we have 2 more years til we are full timing
Dave n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave n Deb View Post
we are members of escapees and they are offering roadside assistance we are still researching but thinking this is the one for us we have 2 more years til we are full timing
Good price at $100 but I suspect one has to join the club, $40 to buy Roadside Assistance? Don't want the other "Benefits" they offer at this time unless $140 turns out to be the average price for Roadside Assistance.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #13

I had the GS roadside service as part of a purchase on a 5th wheel a few years ago. 1st big trip had a blowout, called GS and no one would come out. No help at all. Kept wanting to know what intersection I was. Told them I'm on a US highway about 10 miles from Selma AL and not at an intersection. Moron couldn't understand that. I had recent back surgery and a couple local guys stopped, changed the spare, I gave them each $40 and limped on 3 tires to Selma where I bought 5 new tires. Original tires, 2 YO, properly inflated, etc. I wouldn't waste time or money with GS again and if I got it free with a purchase would use someone reliable.

I have progressive insurance on the motorhome. 2 years ago broke down in WA on I-90 just west of Snoqualme Pass. Air dryer controls failed and lost air. Progressive rep was equally clueless, same dumb questions. Think he must have been fired from GS. At any rate I spent the night in a rest area, made it that far, contacted Freightliner in Yakima WA and a tow company and got towed to Yakima and repaired. Motorhome put on a low-boy and we followed in the Jeep. Progressive fully reimbursed the towing charges over $800. A senior rep also followed up about their phone rep dropping the ball.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #14

We are full timers and have had coachnet for 10 years. We have used them 3 times and have never had any problems. The last time they had to tow both the truck and trailer about 12 miles to a campground and then the next day tow the tractor 140 miles for the repair. I have never seen a bill for anything. Can't say enough good things about them.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote