Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Rocker Switches

Hello All,

I want to upgrade my 12v light switches in my fifth wheel. Currently they don't illuminate and I want the too, especially at night so I can reach for them at night. Plus I want to modernize my 2006 Newmar fifth wheel.

Has anyone switched theirs out or know of a good source to buys these types?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

I switched mine.......got them from a vendor here in Quartzsite late year......$2 each

Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks Bob! Do you know the name of the vender?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

Was KB tools....they sold the tool part to another vendor, who is across the aisle from them....
Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #5

Check the amperage rating of the switches.

The (toggle / rocker / push button) switches I use are rated 20A @ 12VDC.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Alloy,

Thank you for your input. What name brand are yours? I am looking for some nice switches. More like luxury switches.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good source.. Most any Automotive store. Pep boys, Auto Zone, Discount Auto.. Or a Chrome shop like the I-80 Truck stop (off I-80 in as I recall Iowa)

You get 12 volt Illimuated switches. Now these have 3 terminals HOT (Battery) LOAD (light) and Ground.. to get the to light when off, hook Ground and HOT together DO NOT GROUND.

NOTE I( ind the lamps in these switches do not last long so a few ohms of resistance on teh jumper will "Dim" the light and make it last longer. how much I can't tell you without measuring bulb current. and Im not set up to do that.

Alternate......

|I used to buy 12 volt LED assembliesd that were made like this

A long tube (perhapsd 2 inches) Leads out one end, Lens and ring on the other.. about 1/4 " diameter Alas my supplier locked their doors and now does only mail order but I have another possible source.

here is a page of indicators, both 12 volt and 120 volt, incandascent and LED. (and neon on the 120 volt side)

All Electronics dot com

Scrll down to the 120 VOLT Tube like jobs with the light on top and leads out the bottom (as displayed) and those are the type I use. only 121 volt LED. Many to chose from

Put them eithe rjust above, or below, or beside the switches. LEDs last a long, long long time if they are properly fed.

Hook the LED between (the switch HOT lead (RED) and Load (Black) and it should come on when the switch is off (and the other way around) if you are using incandescent lights. if you use LED's you may wish to hook between HOT and Ground. (Try both ways)

Iv'e only had one fail so far and though I've yet to diagnose, I suspect a broken wire NOT the lamp assembly.. Diagnosis involved controtions as it's a dash indicator. one of two that do not work just now.. The other one is gonna be a major pita.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #8

I bought a indicator light and mounted it to the water heater switch to show when the power is turned on. I mounted the same type of light next to the camper power plug to confirm power to the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater light.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	189368  
Old 01-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

Thank You! I like that.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Thank You so much. I am researching this now. I forgot about I 80 truck shop. What a great source tha t place is. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

Thank You so much. I am researching this now. I forgot about I 80 truck shop. What a great source that place is. Thanks again!!

R/
Mike
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandSteph View Post
Alloy,

Thank you for your input. What name brand are yours? I am looking for some nice switches. More like luxury switches.

Thanks!
Where appearance is important I use either Blue Sea or Carlings.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...ntura_Switches

Rocker Switches | carlingtech.com

These mounting blocks

https://www.bluesea.com/products/826..._Bracket_-_End

https://www.bluesea.com/products/826...acket_-_Center

For something easy to mount (7/16" hole) where appearance is less important I use Cole Hersee with a #81255 silicone boot

DPDT On/Off/ On Screw Toggle Switch - Cole Hersee

SPST On/Off Screw Toggle Switch - Cole Hersee

I've moved the 12V distribution to easily accessible location inside the trailer using this panel.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/826...-_24_Positions

All the wiring is done with tinned wire from either Ancor or Vertex Marine. Everything is sealed with heat shrink.

Terminals get a tiny dab of Tef-Gel from a 20CC syringes

https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_price

Tags
switch