RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Roof bubbles

I am buying a 2018 leftover Big Country, I noticed the roof has some bubbles around 4 to 6 inches long on the outside edge where it attaches to the side. I climbed the roof and you can feel that it's not glued down. The dealer is telling me it's normal. Should I demand they fix it before I take delivery. I looked at the other 4 Big Country's on the lot and they all had some.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Personally I'd run away from that manufacturer. To me those bubbles are a sign of poor workmanship. I may be wrong, but I'm betting I'm not. But at then end of the day it's your money.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Personally I'd run away from that manufacturer. To me those bubbles are a sign of poor workmanship. I may be wrong, but I'm betting I'm not. But at then end of the day it's your money.
x2
Why purchase an RV that has an obvious fault? Exercise your option to purchase a different unit.
I personally don't see a "fix" for the bubbles. They are evidence of air underneath the material due to it not being properly rolled down to bond to the glue.
I don't see a fix for that.
Don't buy it. Choose another rig.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
x2
Why purchase an RV that has an obvious fault? Exercise your option to purchase a different unit.
I personally don't see a "fix" for the bubbles. They are evidence of air underneath the material due to it not being properly rolled down to bond to the glue.
I don't see a fix for that.
Don't buy it. Choose another rig.
great advice . and. don't listen to salesman he will say anything to get your money!
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

What you are seeing, is the tin radius popping up from the edge most likely. It is repairable, the termination trim (gutter) has to be removed and the entire radius strip needs to be screwed down and re-taped. The roof is then re-attached to the metal, trimmed, and termination strip reapplied.

It is not normal, it is just common :-)

Even if you find a unit without this problem, it may appear later as it is unfortunately a problem with most all manufacturer’s process. DRVs do it, as well as Keystones and Forest Rivers. If they are willing to repair it, I would have no issue purchasing the unit. I would however, require they do both sides.

The staples and masking tape they use come loose and the metal lifts up creating air pockets.

Go on YouTube and search “keystone roof repair“ and you will see the exact process done on video.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
OMG
Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #7

I would try to negotiate for the dealer to re-glue or replace the roof. Another option is to get a quote for a roof replacement/repair and then negotiate a price deduction with the dealer to cover the expense.
As long as the money is still in your pocket, you have options.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I would try to negotiate for the dealer to re-glue or replace the roof. Another option is to get a quote for a roof replacement/repair and then negotiate a price deduction with the dealer to cover the expense.
As long as the money is still in your pocket, you have options.
I already told them I want it fixed, my walk through is Wednesday so I will find out then.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Sounds to me like you have already made-up your mind. Everything should be in order before the walk through. I would not close on the deal until everything meets your satisfaction.
If you have given deposit and signed financial papers you are probably locked-in. I doubt they will do anything about the roof if you didn't sign an agreement for them to do so. The dealer certainly is not going to eat the cost of roof repairs and I can't imagine Heartland agreeing to repair it as that would be an admission of an issue. All the dealer wants to do is get the unit sold. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

I believe you will be covered regardless. It is a new unit and you will be able to invoke the warranty. You might even suggest that to the dealer as a way for them to offset their repair cost.
Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #11

We have a 2018 Road Warrior 427 made by Heartland. We had the bubbles issue come up on this roof while it was still under the 1 year warranty. When at an independent repair place it was found. They contacted Heartland and Dicor and both looked at the roof. The determination was made no leaks so no issue. Dicor has 10 year warranty on the roof.
The repair place was Affinity RV Group in Goshen Ind. they do work on various makes and do great repair work.
So I would doubt if it will be repaired under any warranty issue claim, you may get the dealer to repair it, but do it before you sign on the dotted line.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The OP doesn't state if he has signed the contract and pushed money their way.

Not much help if so....if it's not in writing it won't happen. These issues have to be dealt with up front.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #13

I did buy the Big Country the dealer and I both took pictures and was documented on the paper work, They said if the bubbles grow they with put in a claim.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
We had the same problem with bucks on our Big Country, also a 2018. The dealer took truck loose, stretched it and it looks fine now. No leaks.

Tags
roof