Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

Roof Cleaning and Conditioning

Anyone else out there regularly clean their rubber roof with that "cleaner and conditioner" made specifically for RV's? I usually only do it before it's time to do a thorough wash/wax of the rig to keep the streaking to a minimum after it rains. My question is-do I really need to use the conditioning agent or will regular soap work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Been Rving for 15 years. Clean my roof twice a year. I just use a little non citric dish soap in a pail of warm water. Use a scrub brush then rinse w/ cool water from a hose.
Clean roof = no black streaks. I try to stay away from "rv supply stores"

Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Used the all in one rubber roof cleaner/uv protectant for the past 12 years on our couch before selling it this month to buy a new 5er. It has served us well and the roof on the unit just sold even at 12 years old, still looked good. Seems to do a good job cleaning...just trusting the treatment to do its job as well. All of the techs I've ever talked to say it's a must if you want a long life out of it.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Used the all in one rubber roof cleaner/uv protectant for the past 12 years on our couch before selling it this month to buy a new 5er. It has served us well and the roof on the unit just sold even at 12 years old, still looked good. Seems to do a good job cleaning...just trusting the treatment to do its job as well. All of the techs I've ever talked to say it's a must if you want a long life out of it.

That was the exact feedback I was hoping for!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I put a new roof on a used RV we bought last spring. I wash it with water and a little Dawn in the water, and rinse it thoroughly. Then 303 it a few days later when good and dry. Twice a year.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I do mine about twice a year, sometimes 3 times. I use separate rubber roof cleaner and the protectant. I'll also take off my Camco vent covers, vacuum the screen, wax it with car wax. I'll also spray silicon on the the rubber seal. I'll also wax the AC & frig covers. Once a year I'll pop off the lens covers on the marker lights and clean them. I'll also get down on my hands and knees and check all caulked areas. One might call me "anal" but if you care about your home one wheels, I take pride in keeping her happy.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Do you need to take any special precautions to avoid damage to the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I do mine about twice a year, sometimes 3 times. I use separate rubber roof cleaner and the protectant. I'll also take off my Camco vent covers, vacuum the screen, wax it with car wax. I'll also spray silicon on the the rubber seal. I'll also wax the AC & frig covers. Once a year I'll pop off the lens covers on the marker lights and clean them. I'll also get down on my hands and knees and check all caulked areas. One might call me "anal" but if you care about your home one wheels, I take pride in keeping her happy.

I always check the caulking, but you brought up some other great areas to inspect/maintain.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderray View Post
Do you need to take any special precautions to avoid damage to the roof?

Do you mean as far as not tearing up the rubber?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

I was thinking more about trying not to break seals on the edges etc-Not sure if they are fragile or can be easily damaged. I have cleaned mine from a ladder but not very effective.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

My roof wraps around the side of the rig a few inches, so the only seals/joints I need to worry about are the front and rear cap. I just use lap sealant on those. Check them and all the other areas up there like the vents and whatnot once a month when I fire up the generator and back flush the softener.

I could be wrong on this, but if memory serves I believe some roofs are not meant to be walked on. I know ours is fine, but to avoid any potential of damaging the rubber I just make certain to check that no rocks or other hard pointy items aren't stuck in my shoes after I start climbing the ladder.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #12

Thanks- when all else fails read the owners manual for directions on roof walking! Lol

Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #13

Clean mine with Dawn dish soap and a soft brush.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Been Rving for 15 years. Clean my roof twice a year. I just use a little non citric dish soap in a pail of warm water. Use a scrub brush then rinse w/ cool water from a hose.
Clean roof = no black streaks. I try to stay away from "rv supply stores"
Sounds like you have a poly roof instead of a rubber roof. The rubber streaks from natural caulking. Mine is new 2 years and it streaks terribly. Poly roofs don't caulk so it don't streak sides.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof