RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 01:48 AM   #1

Roof leak

I called on a 2005 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon.

The owner told me it was in the shop getting the roof replaced. I asked if there was a water leak and it was mentioned that it just started. I guess a new roof is a good thing but on the flip side, water damage scares the heck outta me.

What is the normal life expectancy on a roof? I am assuming itís the rubber membrane type roof.

Do people roll on a roof sealer after so many years as a preventative maintenance item?

Would you run away from something like this or?

Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #2

I would be leary of this unit. You don't just go get a new roof if a little roof leak just started. To replace a roof on one is a big expensive deal.

If you have a low tire, which is a leak, do you rush out and get 4 new tires right away? I don't. I get the leak fixed.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

A rubber roof should be good for 10 - 12 years. Getting a new roof resets the clock to 0 which is a good thing. It's also possible that it's a spray on which is a big bonus. I'd get a moisture meter and see the unit. This way you know for sure.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #4

How does one know when a leak starts? They donít always show up right away. Speaking from experience, water can travel a long way, causing damage between where it shows up and the source. Mold is a concern as well.
Iíd run.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

if the structure of the unit is aluminum a leak is a non issue. if it has a wood frame id be very leary and looking at the unit while in shop. id want to see it when its opened up. as if you can peak with roof off.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Do you really want a 20 year old rig that has leaked for god knows how long?

A new roof is not a cure for any damage that will be inside.

It would have to be cheep, really cheep. Like stupid cheep!

And a new roof does not help bring the price up much at all.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

I would ask why the roof is being replaced. I had one replaced once but something apparently hit it while going down the road and tore it. When we pulled into our campground that nigjht we were told that they could see us coming all the way down the driveway with roof hanging over the side. We stretched it all back into place and there was a round hole about 5" in diameter missing. That was the day I learned about industrial strength duct tape. We ran screws all around the edge of the tear and then duct taped it all in place with industrial strength (could have been commercial grade) duct tape. You had to cut it because you could not rip it. Traveled from Hannibal Mo. to Benton Harbor Mi with no trouble at all.

So it depends on why the roof was being replaced whither you should run or not. If you like the rig and it is cheap call an inspection place to look it over for damage.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #8

If you can inspect it while the roof is being replaced, you'll get a better idea. For me, it would depend on what they mean by replacing the roof. Are they just replacing the membrane, or are they replacing water damaged underlayment as well?
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #9

You could always call the shop and ask the repairman what he thinks about the roof durability.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #10

If you were able to look at the roof structure with the membrane off you can see where the leak started. The inside you should be able to see where it became visible to the owner. Then you will know there is damage between the two points.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #11

Thanks all for the information. The seller won't answer or return my calls now so I have moved on.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

He is going to list it as New Roof no leaks.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #13

I looked at the Landmark Grand Canyon today that is having the roof replaced and have more info.

It started out life in North Dakota, and has some time in Arizona but no idea how long at either place.

When I originally called on it the ownerís son told me it was in the shop getting a new roof. This threw up a red flag for me. I asked if it was leaking and he mentioned that it just started and they took it to the shop when they discovered it.

I climbed the ladder on the back of the trailer today to look at the roof and there is an obvious low spot to the left of the roof vent over the kitchen counter. To me, itís pretty obvious as to what happened. Iím not an expert by any means, but in my opinion, I believe the vent / roof material / seal failed and water found an entrance. I believe the roof plywood has rotted away and thatís what has caused the low spot.

No idea how long this has been going on. The current owner claims he always stored it with a cover and the cover was in the basement but I didnít pull it out to look for holes in it.

Looking around inside the trailer, there is evidence (tea stains in the boat world) of water dripping from the vent lip above the kitchen counter. There were no waves or distortion in the ceiling panels around it though.

Moving to the back of the trailer, the left side ceiling panel shows a couple little waves in the panel, and tea stains between the two ceiling panels where they join together and obvious signs of dripping from the light fixture.

At some point, somebody installed cables through the ceiling (see picture) and I am wondering now if that was a separate leak all together since there is no evidence of tea stains or ceiling panel wavy-ness between the kitchen and back of the trailer.

Moving to the floor next to the wall where the slide goes out there was a very slight discoloration in the carpet but it was minimal area. Maybe a small dinner plate size.

There was no funky smells, perfumey or damp, moldy, mildew-ish or otherwise obvious staring at you in the face signs of (Houston we have a problem here) anywhere in the trailer. I believe the overall condition of the interior (less described above) was really pretty good considering its age.

When the owner mentioned the roof is being replaced, it is my understanding that everything on the roof (accessory wise) will be removed. The rubber membrane will be peeled off and any rotten wood will be replaced. I have talked with the tech doing the work and he encouraged me to come take a look at the trailer again when he has the roof peeled off and look for anything more of concern.

The repair facility has been around for many of years and has a good reputation for workmanship.

With all that being said, I am looking for advice from others that have been down this road or what more should I look for or should I run away fast?

I realize that the roofing material has a life expectancy and after observing the roof it appeared to be the original roof as there was no coating of any kind anywhere.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

The repair shop can only repair what the owner says he will pay for. You will not get to decide what is done unless you own it. I would be surprised if the owner will pay for the repairs to be done completely and properly if he already intends to sell it.

There are thousands of RVs for sale, why are you so attached to this one with obvious large problems?

Tags
leak, roof