Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #1

Roof mounted satelites in place of antenna

Any ideas on roof mount satellites ? Thinking of pulling roof mount antenna off sticking a dome in place using coax supplied. . Coach has ext sat connection , just tired of fooling with tripod and trying to get service at 6:00 in the afternoon . If so what is the best way to go , obviously don't need a king dome for motion service in a 5th wheel .

Jeff/ Elaine Plath
Tyler, tx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlostyet View Post
Any ideas on roof mount satellites ? Thinking of pulling roof mount antenna off sticking a dome in place using coax supplied. . Coach has ext sat connection , just tired of fooling with tripod and trying to get service at 6:00 in the afternoon . If so what is the best way to go , obviously don't need a king dome for motion service in a 5th wheel .

Jeff/ Elaine Plath
Tyler, tx
I have a nearly new Kingdome sitting on the ground next to my RV and a new Winegard Tvlr mounted where it used to be. The Winegard is simple to use and pulls in a good signal.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #3

You can use the coax IF you take it loose from the back of the TV antenna booster and wire it direct to the receiver. It CAN NOT go through the booster.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
If you go with satellite, you won't be sorry with the Winegard traveler.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Remember that a roof mount satellite wont bring in the normally spot beamed local channels when traveling away from your home area.
For local channels you will still want a regular antenna.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to rebane
Talking

I'd opt to keep the off-the-air antenna and add a coax downlead from the new dome to a switch in the coach. The dome is great for boondocking where you have a good view of the southern sky - nearly instant gratification. At a nice wooded site with shade trees the yagi is often a good option.
rebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I'm not sure that many of these folks replying are familiar with the winegard traveler-or how it works. Bottom line, the winegard will pull in all required satelites, even in areas further east or up in the Canadian maritimes where domes will no longer get the signal.

I don't know what a "off air antenna" is, but an "over the air" antenna can be kept on your rig along with the winegard or the dome.

As to local stations-with the satellite, all we do is call or internet chat, ask them to change our service address when we move, and we get the local stations on the satellite -easy peasy.

Good Luck
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd keep the off the air antenna as you'll not get the locals without it (outside of your home area) and I'd forget the dome for something like the Traveler. It will provide full HD capability for either service (Dish or Direct TV) and is much less susceptible to interruption in heavy rain.

The previous post is correct, you'll want a dedicated coax line from your satellite antenna to the receiver.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #9

If you want DirecTv in HD I do not think you can use a dome, you have to go with a Winegard Traveler. Even though our 5th wheel was prewired for satellite, it was only for the dome type and we had to have more wires run for the install. We love it. We have not had to break out the portable dish once since we have the roof top Winegard installed. If you are a fulltime RVer, you can sign up with your satellite provider for Distance Network Service which gives you and east and west coast feed for the networks from a major city (we get NYC and LA). You can also attempt to change your service address when you get to a new location so you can see the locals. We have only done this once and I understand Dish is more amendable to this than DirecTv.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #10

I use the tailgater because have been to some sights where trees block the dome. It is very easy to use just sit it out facing south and it automatically finds the satellite. Very portable to.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I'm not sure that many of these folks replying are familiar with the winegard traveler-or how it works. Bottom line, the winegard will pull in all required satelites, even in areas further east or up in the Canadian maritimes where domes will no longer get the signal.

I don't know what a "off air antenna" is, but an "over the air" antenna can be kept on your rig along with the winegard or the dome.

As to local stations-with the satellite, all we do is call or internet chat, ask them to change our service address when we move, and we get the local stations on the satellite -easy peasy.

Good Luck
Is this a difference between DirecTV and DISH. Got it about DISH. I have not had any luck doing this with DirecTV. Maybe I don't know how to ask or HOW to say PLEASE correctly.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
We've not had Direct, so it in fact may be different with them. We've had only Dish in our last 6+ years as FTers. We never sit still very long-thus we end up changing our local stations dozens of times per year with a phone call or internet chat. Sorry if I mislead about Direct, I don't know what their procedure is or even if they allow you to do this.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many have done somethign close to what you describe. Personally i'd not do it but that's cause I like the Tier-2 Digital stateions better than what comes in via satellite.. But that is MY preference. yours may (likely will) be different.

A short lesson on Sat antennas

Dish type antennas are matched to the service you have, they work, One receiver, dual channel DVR, multiple receivers or DVRs. they work.. You may need a digital equipment switch if using more than two receivers but they work.

Negative, They only work,, when you are parked and set up.
They can be roof mounted, or ground mounted, automatic or manual. more on roof mounts at the end of this.

DOMES: however can work "In motion" but there is a catch

DirecTV, A dome with a DUAL output lnb is just like a dish (Dish-300 class dish or the 18" round DirecTV dish) they work, period, as described above with the tree exception below.

DirecHDTV, Domes do not work, period. they can not receive the HD satellite signals, different frequency band need a different LNB.

DISH: SOME (Selected) domes work very well with a SINGLE receiver, example the VIP-211k.

But since Dish scatters the transmissions over 3 satellites (2sd one is HD only) if you have multiple receivers, and they all need to see the same bird.. It works. but if they need different birds... NO JOY will be had by one of 'em, so you need one dome per receiver. .Kind of expensive, and heavy.

and that covers domes.

I have a single VIP-211k, and will get it working sooner or later.

Now, the tree execption:

Rooftop antennas Dome or dish, work ONLY so long as you are NOT parked in the "Shadow" of either a building or the evil signal eating tree.. For this reason you need to have a ground mount dish that you can select when so parked.

To use this dish, You start by finding out how to point it (Enter the zip code on teh proper menu page and WRITE DOWN the settings) Then with an A/B switch you put in at time of install (A for the Roof up A-bove and B for the ground mount down B-elow (B-ulkhead conenctor or ground B-lock in the B-asement or in my case the B-rake B-ell crank B-racket.> Well you get the idea).

With the switch in A-bove position hook up, then slide to B-elow, reset a Directv receiver and aim or
Aim and Check switch on a DISH receiver.

To unhook, first slide the switch back to A.

Then reset the Direct receiver again

or wait till in the clear and locked on and check switch on Dish.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

we have the same problem with trying to get service in the evening with ours but ours is a dome instead of a tripod. we have a KVH R4SL dome mounted on top and it works fine in the day but as soon as the sun goes down we loose our signal. we have dish network. I contacted KVH and they told me that "it is a normal issue to have". I don't think so. they also told me to "get up on the roof every morning and wipe the dew off" that was to get the signal back. don't think so there either. we have come to live with the issue and just installed a switch so at night we simply switch over to the antenna. we don't get the 250 channels from the antenna that we do with the dome but there has to be a compermise somewhere lol.