Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Roof question

I have never worked on the roof of a 5er except to reseal a skylight on my old travel trailer...here's my question: We had a look at the roof and found that the old sealant has cracked and in general looks really bad(see picture) and I wonder how to reseal everything...just scrub things clean and apply the new stuff on top of the old or somehow remove the old and then reapply?

The picture is representative of most of the seams, etc., on the roof. I have no leaks at this time...at least I can't find any.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	62666  

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
For any straight seams (edges, fans, skylights, etc) I would recommend Eternabond tape. The sewer vent you have pictured can be resealed with self leveling Dicor caulk. Using the search window at the top of the page will offer extensive discussion of using Eternabond products. A few months ago I resealed my entire roof with Eternabond and have no regrets.

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Many of my seams and vents were worse than yours. I was very afraid of damaging the rubber roof so I searched and searched reading all kinds of methods to removing the old sealant. I was surprised how resilient the roof material is. Just be careful if you choose to remove the old sealant.

From your pic I would just use self levelling Dicor and top coat what you have. Any vertical seams use Non levelling Dicor and use masking tape to control the width.
Dennis & Dee
2006 GMC D/A
Automate 36ft 5th wheel
DennisG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
I had some similar cracks in my sealant. I found that the seal itself was very good but I cleaned and rinsed my roof (if you don't want to clean the whole roof you could just clean and rinse the sealant areas) then applied self leveling sealant on the cracks. I felt that digging up the old sealant might create more problems than it would solve. My thought is by sealing over the cracks you prevent water and dirt from settling in there and prevent further degradation of the overall seal.
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Follow the instructions, on the tube, for cleaning/ prepping the old sealant, before applying the new self leveling sealant and you'll be fine.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
I recently removed a roof vent in order to add 2nd A/C. While my caulk was in much better shape than yours, I unfortunately needed to remove the majority of the caulk to have a level surface for the A/C gasket to seal effectively. I used a dull putty knife to scrape off most of the caulk, while it was slow work, it was effective.

In your case, I suggest removing the top surface of the old caulk to expose clean, unweather caulk, doesn't need to look pretty. And if you don't want a larger caulked area, then also remove the outer 1/4-1/2 inch down to as close to the rubber roof as possible. Then apply new self-leveling caulk. This will provide better adhesion than just applying the new caulk on top of the old caulk.
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Clean the area with Denatured Alcohol then apply Dicor sealant. Make sure you use the proper Dicor product for your type of roof material. There are UTube videos on this.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
The final report: my son and I used Eternabond for the straight seams and Dicor self-leveling sealant for the round vents. We first pressure washed the roof (found NO leaks), then put down the tape and sealant. The Eternabond is GREAT - you'll need 4" wide tape as 2" isn't wide enough - and the dicor did GREAT as well, right up until I put the toe of my new shoe into one of the vent seals!

All done for several years!

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote