Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Roof repair.

Hi folks! I have a 2005 HR Savoy, and i am very pleased with it. However, i have found a couple of soft spots on the front corners of the roof, and the seal is obviously letting water in. I am going to do this repair myself, and wondered if any of you know if the front cap is an easy remove (should it require this)?
If i am going to repair it, i would rather do a proper job.
Many thanks,

Craig (UK)

simsy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your roof. Here is a link to some previous threads which you may find some advice in. Good luck and update us when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Front cap shouldn't have to come off unless the rot is way down the front.
We pull the rubber completely, fix all bad wood by usually just replacing the whole sheet of OSB or plywood, and then deck over that with luan so the rubber has a smooth surface to adhere to.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree the front cap most likely does not need to be removed. I would just start removing all the sealant that seals that front section of the roof. Then you should be able to see what you need to do to peel the roof back to expose any rot and/or black mold.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Thanks guys, I doubt if the front cap needs removing, there is no interior damage or smell, just the extreme corners are soft. I saw the sealant was 'cracked' and cleaned and resealed straight away,now the weather has improved, it is time to do a more permanent repair. The soft spots are around 12" square in the corners, so i am hoping that the damage is limited. I will let you know how we get on.

Once again, many thanks,

simsy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Problem with pulling the rubber or TPO roof back is that it probably won't seal back right or the OSB chips will poke up and need to be fixed.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
on one roof repair, I peeled the EDPM back along the side rail about 10 inches by 6 ft. Repaired underlayment and reset EDPM with 3M super 77 spray (Lowes). Great stuff for repairing belly membrane also.

2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV75 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote

roof, repair