Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Roof top a/c

I have a older model Teton that I have dismantled and it is on its way back together. We have used the a/c units (2) in the process of repairs for heat and now cool air. But the living area unit stopped working. I of course removed the cover and cleaned but it looks as if the weather may have taken such a toll on the unit it may not be worth repairing?
It is a analog early system (59016) model . With heat strip that doesnt work I dont think.
My question is .. What are the most respected models today to replace it with? Efficiency and cost being the priority. Mine are 13,700 BTU and cool the rooms very quickly normally.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

You have Dometic and Coleman as the most common units in our world and you are looking at roughly $520 for a unit in the size you offered... but would you buy used? Call an RV junk yard and see if you can get a great price on a unit off a newer wreck.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Atwood now makes a 15K AC/heat pump that only pulls 10amp. A good friend had two installed last years because his basement AC/ heat pump would not cool the 5th wheel down when temps went to up 90's and above. They sure made a big difference in his.
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I would upgrade to heat pumps. We really like ours. Ours came with 2 15k units with heat pumps from factory. heats and cools great. We don't run the furnace until low 40s. Ours is 39'
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

May I ask before I google it? What is the difference from a heat pump and a heat strip?
When inspecting mine I realized they are a very simple system and should almost never need charging as they are sealed. I bought a capacitor for the one that looked bad and it fired right up. But in my upgrade I want to get efficient and of course new so I feel as if I can depend on it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

Heat pumps don't have heat strips, at least rv units don't. Heat pumps are ac working in reverse. They literally have a reversing valve in them. about a hundred dollars dif.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbrown View Post
May I ask before I google it? What is the difference from a heat pump and a heat strip?
The heat strip is a resistance heating element in the duct of the unit. Air blows over the strip and is warmed.

The heat pump is the a/c unit working in reverse (simple explanation). It is more efficient than the heat strip. The heat pump does not work in temps below approx 40 degrees depending on ambient humidity. The 40 degree cutout varies depending on humidity and manufacturer.

Note..... I like my rooftop a/c - heat pumps. However, discharging heated air from the ceiling is not a good design for even heating of the cabin.
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

I understand it now, so at 40 degrees in reverse there isnt enough heat outside to draw in.. I did look at the junk yard sites..wow .... They were asking 550.00 for the ones I have .. Seems like new prices.. So maybe it is time to look for new ones with warranty?
I think it would be nice to have the 15000 model and the heat pump is attractive although I never really use my gas heat as it is in Texas. I may have ran 1 bottle through it this year?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

last time i looked around 800 ac 900 hp
Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #10

My foolish and unknowing got me into a pretty big mess with this Teton
and only after trying several repairs did I just stand back and decide to tear it down and rebuild it entirely .. So if I spend 550 two times and they are no better than I have I will kick myself in the butt. So if someone has two modern units for sale they know are good I would be interested or a salvage yard that is at least reasonable. I would rebuild mine although the compressors are rusting and one day soon they will leak out . And I am going to spray the roof on after I finish the new siding . Witch I must say is a hectic challenge in itself.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #11

Get us some pictures. This is getting interesting.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #13

I must say you are very right! I am a auto mechanic and completely hate working with wood. Yet every evening and most weekends I am in there digging in a little more. Before I brought it home I knew the slideouts were junk. But a couple where full timing in this thing and there wasnt one piece of the slides that wasn't rotted beyond wet dust. But I quickly learned the slideouts are about 200.00 in materials and not including the 200.00 roof material. urghhh And it is new. So I am half way in the interior , enlarged the bathroom. Two full size washer and dryer and hardwood floors. But the weather has to cooperate so I can pull all of the siding and cut the floor seals for the rear lower half floor that is poor around the edges.
This is a show , and my friends and lovely lady were laughing.. But now they come to help. It is fun , not very expensive and it looks modern .
Would I ever take this project on again? Oh he** no!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #14

On mine the slide out floors are same as the wall. laminated with blue dow. Very warm and strong.

Tags
roof