Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
I climbed-up a ladder to look at it- it looks like a spongy composition material. Is this what is called 'Rubber' ?

Then, is there any recommended treatment that should be used to prevent leakage? It does not leak, but it is 8-9 years old: 2000 Jayco 325 bhs 34'.

2000 F-350 2wd CC Diesel Dually Auto found a newer mate: a 2008 JAYCO Designer 31RLTS
wanderinf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
It's probably EPDM, perhaps from Dicor.

Unless there are tears in the EPDM, there's nothing other than just cleaning with soap and water that is needed. Just be sure that you do not use any cleaner that contains petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. Dicor does make a rubber roof cleaner and a rubber roof guard for additional UV protection, but I don't know how necessary those products are over just regular cleaning with something like Dawn or liquid Spic & Span.

Do check all the seams and see how they're holding up...at 8/9 years old, it's probably getting time to recaulk.

2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Camco makes a product called Full Timer's Choice EDPM roof cleaner and treatment.

I actually like it better than Dicor's cleaner, and protectant, plus it is a one-step deal.

Be sure to have your tow vehicle out of the way and wash the sides of the RV before the run off from the roof dries. If it hasn't been cleaned and treated in a long time, it will give off chalky residue...

The EDPM roof is probably in great shape, as long as it hasn't snagged a tree branch or anything. The sealant around vents and such, though, may be showing cracks.

If that's the case, the old stuff can be carefully picked off with a blunt scraper. Dicor says a rag dampened in mineral spirits can be used to remove stains, and I find that if I wipe around the vent after picking the old sealant off, the new stuff seems to cling better.

I'd use Dicor's self-leveling EDPM lap sealant. Don't use silicone or vinyl caulk.
Dodge Ram dually laramie 4x4 w/jake, B&W, Brakesmart.
Kit Patio Hauler 394F toyhauler 5th wheel
Camo 680 Rincon, Green 500 Foreman, Blk twincam Roadking
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Dicor has removed their EPDM roof treatment page. They sell products for this purpose, and also state that Spic N Span is an approved alternative.
If your roof covering is badly worn, yet intact and has no leaks, you might consider Liquid Roof.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
the only thing I have done to my '97 28' 5er with a rubber roof is wash it twice and touch up the sealent in a couple of hairline cracks with Dicor lap sealent. I check the roof sealent twice a year is all.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
It is important to use a UV protectant on any kind of rubber roof. Over time the sun will have an adverse effect on the rubber. Nothing will stop it completely, but a good UV protectant will slow down the process considerably and make it last longer without problems.
Smokey Ridgely
smokeyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Thanks to all responders

2000 F-350 2wd CC Diesel Dually Auto found a newer mate: a 2008 JAYCO Designer 31RLTS
wanderinf350 is offline   Reply With Quote