Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #1

Roofing sealant info requested

I have a '96 Alfa "See Ya" How do I prepare for a new roof sealant and what would you recommend?
Simqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Dicor lap sealant is what you need. There is also several youtube videos talking about roof repair and replacement. Google "replacing an rv roof. Cheers!

Chad
Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Chad has it right. That stuff is awesome.. Doesn't harden completely--sort of becomes like hard chewing gum when it is "dry." Remains flexible for years so it can handle vibrations..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

This is an old 5-wheel, but new to me. I confirmed that it has a EPDM roof. Not to reinvent, but I hear Mule-Hide A-300 is awesome. If true, how does one prepare the roof. i.e., etching or priming? What about sealing any breaks in the roofing material...fans, attachments etc?
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simqueen View Post
This is an old 5-wheel, but new to me. I confirmed that it has a EPDM roof. Not to reinvent, but I hear Mule-Hide A-300 is awesome. If true, how does one prepare the roof. i.e., etching or priming? What about sealing any breaks in the roofing material...fans, attachments etc?
Thank you in advance.
Simqueen
Whatever you decide to use, the best, (and only), way to prepare your roof for the application......and the only way to apply it....... will be however the manufacture says it should be done.

I used a combination of Eternabond tape and Dicor self leveling caulk.

But I don't know what will work best on your roof......a little research can save you a lot of grief.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Alfa sadly, is no longer in business. I'm kinda blowing in the wind here ;-)
I wrote to Mule-Hide for advise. And to Dicor. It's Saturday so I'll hope to have some info forthcoming.
Thanks Mel
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Simqueen
Whatever you decide to use, the best, (and only), way to prepare your roof for the application......and the only way to apply it....... will be however the manufacture says it should be done.
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simqueen View Post
Alfa sadly, is no longer in business. I'm kinda blowing in the wind here ;-)
I wrote to Mule-Hide for advise. And to Dicor. It's Saturday so I'll hope to have some info forthcoming.
Thanks Mel
Simqueen
I meant that the "roof sealant manufacture" is the best place to get correct information.
BTW, I thought Alfa was out of the "motor home business" but still making "towables"....(No matter, 90% of us own "orphaned" RV's).
Good luck an good "sealing".
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
Alpha is actually out of the business but the Evergreen owned company "Lifestyle" now has the Alpha Gold line, different coach though. Ya gotta love how the brands go under and get resurrected by other company's!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

I prefer Sikaflex 715. Scrape all the old sealer off, add screws where needed. Then just clean and dry well, and apply Sikaflex 715. It's a self leveling lap sealant but handles UV exposure better than Dicor 501LSW.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roofing sealant info requested

Sikaflex 715 does indeed appear to be a much better and longer life product than Dicor for several uses. Isn't listed for use on fiberglass though.
http://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument....lex-715-us.pdf
Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Sikaflex 715 does indeed appear to be a much better and longer life product than Dicor for several uses. Isn't listed for use on fiberglass though.
http://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument....lex-715-us.pdf
I emailed Sika Corp. about that and they said yes, it can be used on fiberglass and I have, and it's worked well.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer to use the roof sealant made by Geocel. They offer two that are excellent, Geocel Pro-Flex RV and Geocel 2300.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

Most of the self leveling sealants will bond well with EPDM roofs the issue is they don't all like to bond with each other. If your doing a complete clean up and reseal you can take your pick of several choices. Royal, SikaFlex, Geo-Seal and Dicor all work. I only use Dicor to topcoat on roofs that already have Dicor as a sealant. I just don't like Dicor very much but it is my personal opinion not anything against them. Application temp is also a factor if you want it to flow out nice and seal well. I don't do a lot of roofs anymore so take that for what it is worth but I had a bucket with a rack in it so it would hold 12 tubes of sealant and I had a 100w bulb and a thermostat to keep the temp around 100deg for the sealant. That along with my 18v caulk gun would let me do a entire roof in a few min and it would lay out very nice.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal