Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I've got a Ram 3500 DW, diesel, long bed, crew cab. Bed has a ball-over setup. I got a B&W for the ball-over setup. Works great! Our 5er is 14,000 lbs with about 2,100 lbs pin weight. Pulls the 5er like it's not there. Dually is exceptional in the crosswinds. Steady as can be, no swaying. Bonus with the ball-over hitch: 5 bolts loosened and I can pull the hitch out and have full 8 ft bed use. Also, no permanent mounting holes in my truck bed. Happy Camper!!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #16

Rookie F'ver needs 5th wheel hitch recommendations

I'd recommend going with the long bed. Since it has the built in puck system then I'd get the B&W Companion shown in an earlier post. It can be remove fairly quickly and leave a clean bed if you need it. As far as the material in the bed of the truck with the Anderson hitch I think that is a bedrug - https://www.realtruck.com/bedrug-mol...ck-bed-liners/
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #17

^^^^^^^^ FYI not ALL longed RAM's have the puck system. It has to be ordered that way. Some of the upper trim levels may include the pucks I don't remember. If a truck is minus the pucks it's easy to install them.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 AM   #18

The carpeting in my bed is indeed a BEDRUG. Unless towing it stays out of the sun (trifold tonneau cover) so I don't know how it does resisting fade. The padded floor sure is nice on the old knees!

As far as connecting the Anderson to the GN ball... check out the video HBILLSMITH posted in this thread. its a little long but he does a great job explaining the system.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/ander...te-290640.html

At just 35 lbs the Andersen is easy to stow away. I keep mine in the front basement compartment when parked.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #19

Our truck is a RAM Mega Cab with factory hitch prep. We use the Andersen and love it!

Happy trails,
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
^^^^^^^^ FYI not ALL longed RAM's have the puck system. It has to be ordered that way. Some of the upper trim levels may include the pucks I don't remember. If a truck is minus the pucks it's easy to install them.
Yea, I couldn't find the truck with the trim level I wanted with the factory hitch prep already installed. I ordered the OEM parts and installed it myself. Took about 3-4 hours total to install, including the in bed wiring harness. Helps to have a partner to help with the install, but not required.

The dealership offered to install the hitch prep for me, for a measly $3,000. I laughed at him and said it is a $200 factory option, how in the world could they charge $3 grand for it. Sales guy said that they have to remove the bed, which is not even remotely true.

I was really nervous to do it myself, but it ended up being really easy.

As far as hitches go, I got the Pullrite Superglide 16K hitch. It works great with my short bed setup. But if I had a long bed, i would absolutely go with the B&W hitch pictured above by another poster.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
Yea, I couldn't find the truck with the trim level I wanted with the factory hitch prep already installed. I ordered the OEM parts and installed it myself. Took about 3-4 hours total to install, including the in bed wiring harness. Helps to have a partner to help with the install, but not required.

The dealership offered to install the hitch prep for me, for a measly $3,000. I laughed at him and said it is a $200 factory option, how in the world could they charge $3 grand for it. Sales guy said that they have to remove the bed, which is not even remotely true.

I was really nervous to do it myself, but it ended up being really easy.

As far as hitches go, I got the Pullrite Superglide 16K hitch. It works great with my short bed setup. But if I had a long bed, i would absolutely go with the B&W hitch pictured above by another poster.
Nice to see some people can actually do things them selves!!! Good job.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #22

I have a 1-ton 3500 Ram DW long bed and use the Anderson hitch. It's a very simple do-it-yourself installation. My trailer is ~16k GVW, I weighed my complete setup last week and I was at a total of 26K GVW fully loaded including passengers and dog. I have a Moryde pin box.

I'd chose the Anderson due to it's performance capabilities, light weight and no grease setup.

The long bed TV gives you some options at the expense of turning radius. In mine, I have a large over-the-rail toolbox and I also have rail handles. So far, no problems noticed with tight turning or tilting.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #23

"In mine, I have a large over-the-rail toolbox and I also have rail handles. So far, no problems noticed with tight turning or tilting."

You are on borrowed time.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #24

If you don't get a long bed dodge, I went with Pullrite.

I have a few months with a pullrite superglide in my SRW 2500 Dodge shortbed. Very happy so far. I had to adjust it once so far and it takes about 5 minutes.
Video of that below. I am towing a 38 foot Puma Unleashed with no issues. 1700# pin weight, 10800# tow.

https://youtu.be/ws6Rx8zMaHA
sburrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #25

We have the Curt Q20 for the Ram pucks. We like it very much and find it smooth towing and very easy to hitch and unhitch.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:12 AM   #26

I would second the B&W Companion. I have only pulled my 34' Alpha once but it was easy to hitch and unhitch even on uneven ground. The one thing I have to get used to is it does not "click" when hitched like my old hitch or the one on the semis I drive.

Going to test it again at the end of the month and go to the south rim of the GC, last month it went to the north rim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2751.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	129700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	129701  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	129702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2810.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	129703  

Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
I would second the B&W Companion. I have only pulled my 34' Alpha once but it was easy to hitch and unhitch even on uneven ground. The one thing I have to get used to is it does not "click" when hitched like my old hitch or the one on the semis I drive.

Going to test it again at the end of the month and go to the south rim of the GC, last month it went to the north rim.
Very nice! "PERSONALLY" I don't do a pull test with my B&W. I do a "visual test". Hitch and kingpin plates touching handle is closed and LOCKED then I verify the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin. That's it.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Very nice! "PERSONALLY" I don't do a pull test with my B&W. I do a "visual test". Hitch and kingpin plates touching handle is closed and LOCKED then I verify the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin. That's it.
I don't do the tug test when I latch on the fifth wheel but do check the jaws before I close the tailgate. When I first start to pull out of a spot I hold the brake gain and pull against it to make sure they work. Have had a bad wire and no brakes.

The thing about not clicking I was trying to hook up this last trip in the forest and did not hear it click so let it idle back a bit to make sure and it slid the trailer back a foot. Of course I had not removed the wheel chocks, I use the BAL X-type.

And thanks I think you recommitted the B&W also have the ball.

Tags
5th wheel