Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Route through Colorado to NC.

Hi all is me again and this post might néed to be placed elsewhere but since we are going to pull a 5er I'm starting here. What sources do you use to find the safest route. Our trip gas been delayed and I really don't want to wait for next summer. I am looking at google, apple maps, AAA map programs, I subscribed to the almanac, I found a website with truck stops. We have a weather radio too. I want to be able to plan with stops at about 200 to 250 miles and accommodate for unexpected stops. And we are planning on getting a CB. Plus we have a GPS. The only thing we lack is experience. Am I missing something. What us the best route from California to Colorado. We live in Northern CA but can travel south to start.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #2

Stop at a truck stop, spring how ever much it cost to buy a truck driver Atlas and use google maps if you so choose. Get the Atlas for truck route info. If you go over I-70 from west to east, check your brakes in Eagle Colorado and should fuel there,then in Breckenridge Colorado check your brakes again. If there is snow on the passes then take your time, might even want to think about getting chains. I used to drag a gooseneck up and down I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction year round with a GMC 3500. I was considered a commercial vehicle though and chains are required on all commercial vehicles from September to spring. Follow the laws of a commercial vehicle and you shouldn't have any problems. That is my opinion though.. Safe travels...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Since you are in No. Cal you can avoid the two high passes (Vail Pass and Loveland Pass, both around 11,000') by taking I-80 all the way to Cheyenne, WY and then south on I-25 to I-70 in Denver. There are some climbs in UT but not like the 2 on I-70 in CO and no major mountain climbs in WY. Probably about the same mileage.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Thank you great advice. Especially the trucker atlas and checking the brakes .

Old 09-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Since you are in No. Cal you can avoid the two high passes (Vail Pass and Loveland Pass, both around 11,000') by taking I-80 all the way to Cheyenne, WY and then south on I-25 to I-70 in Denver. There are some climbs in UT but not like the 2 on I-70 in CO and no major mountain climbs in WY. Probably about the same mileage.
I agree on I-80.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Thank you. We had been planning going I 80 but were worried about the colder weather.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
x2 on 80 east, and 70 to St Louis. From St Louis there are many ways to get to NC. Once you are over the Rockies weather this time of year should be ok. Watch your five day forecasts every so often and move south as necessary. This time of year rv parks are not crowded and I would not reserve ahead of time. Drive till you need to stop and find a park or walmart, cracker barrel etc. We use our Rand McNalley 7710 gps navaigation unit which shows all camp grounds along the way as you travel.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you take 25 south to 70 be sure to take 470 bypass around Denver. You will be glad you did.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The climb up 80 out of Salt Lake will we your steepest/longest and if towing with a gasser as your signature states, I would unhook and let the wife drive the toad to about Coalville. There is a nice rv park right by the river, not fancy but nice setting.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Been Trucking for 35 yrs and traveled that way many times. Go out rt 50 out of Sac if weather is good . You can run that right to 15 jog north and take it to 70 . 50 is a lonely road thru Nevada so everything needs to be on tip top shape. The other way is to take 80 to 15 go south to Rt 6 and take that to 70. Hope that helps One other route which is longer. I 5 south to 58 e Barstow to 40 across Az to Alb NM then 25 north to Denver.
Hope that helps . Unless you take a plane or train that's it !
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #11

Thanks no plane or train this trip. If we get out soon enough. Hadn't thought about the last one.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Free Routing

Go to Truckmiles.com enter your origin city and state and your destination city and state and click run trip. That will go to a verification page then click run trip again. Then a small map and directions will show. Just above the map is a link to "Get Truckstops Along The Way" That will give you a list of Truckstops with the mileage from the point of origin. Even if you don't stay at the truckstops you can gauge what city would be 200-250 miles from where ever you started on a particular day.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #13

Thank you. This will be helpful too.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

Won't truck routes take you on lots of extra mile causing detours that aren't necessary? I just plug my destination into my gps and follow it. Only thing you've gotta worry about really is snow/ice in the mountains but I have 4x4 and am used to driving in it so I'm not too worried. if it's really bad they close the roads anyway, if you only have 4x2 id definitely be avoiding mountains during snowstorms though. I've past many a tractor trailer going uphill that couldn't get any traction and was stuck on the side of the road, lol! If you have a huge trailer or the roads are super bad you can't make it either, but 4x4 helps a lot. I've been stuck on wet grass in 4x2 before many times, it's nice having that knob to turn to 4x4 when towing off highways or in snow.

Tags
colorado