Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #15

There are many things to be paranoid about when you own and use an RV. This isn't one of them. As trackman suggested, get some thick pipe insulation and secure it firmly onto the hose and travel with peace of mind that your propane line will be fine. In the unlikely event that it DOES get punctured, the safety valve on the tank will shut off the flow of propane and you will have to repair/replace the line. My RV has iron pipe running the length of the frame and rubber hoses tapped off to the appliances but all rubber would be fine as well, I would probably wrap it with pipe insulation.

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #16

No doubt it meets the LP gas code for when it was built so it depends on what makes you comfortable. The exposed pipe on my rig is all steel but it is 13 years old. Times change I guess.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A puncture of a plastic under-belly is pretty much a non-event, but puncturing a propane line can be a big event possibly resulting in afire.

Not a good comparison.

Ken
I was comparing how often the underbelly gets punctured to how often rubber hoses would get punctured. Never seen a belly punctured.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Black iron pipe or copper tube would be better.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #19

I'd also be concerned with squirrels etc chewing on the line while its parked in a woodsy spot. I had a rubber line for a 20 lb tank to a Coleman stove that I used as outdoor kitchen during hurricane sandy. Second night of the set up, I assume squirrels came and bit several holes through the line. Ugh!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #20

You can get a propane line with rubber on the outer skin,as I find it very unsafe to have propane running in a tube unprotected as the propane will corode it's way through..in Australia the vehicle would not be given a gas certifice which means it is not allowed on the road.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
But if you're 'moving down the road' any leak would be dissipated safely in the wake of the trailer. How many rubber gas lines have you seen damaged by road debris? Yes it would be nice if the underside of the rig was armor plated to prevent any possible damage, but then you'd need a tank to pull it.
I agree. If you assume that everything that could go wrong will go wrong then life on the road could be too much to endure. If something is going to be picked up by the trucks rear tires it will hit the truck. A trajectory that sends it from the tires to the underbelly of the rig is not possible.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
... As a minimum, run copper and clamp it in place.

Ken
Copper is not a good idea. Copper will fatigue crack from vibration/flexing. There is a reason you don't see springs made of copper. Quoting a Wikipedia article on fatigue limits: " Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys have a distinct limit, an amplitude below which there appears to be no number of cycles that will cause failure. Other structural metals such as aluminum and copper, do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes." (Fatigue limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Bruce
Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
But if you're 'moving down the road' any leak would be dissipated safely in the wake of the trailer. How many rubber gas lines have you seen damaged by road debris? Yes it would be nice if the underside of the rig was armor plated to prevent any possible damage, but then you'd need a tank to pull it.
For those of us who don't tow with our propane systems pressurized, the leak wouldn't appear until we are in a campsite.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Black pipe was used on our teardrop but it was such half assed job the bottom leg under the axle was a bout three inches below and the lowest part on the trailer, just waiting a tall rock. I replaced the line with copper. Less vulnerable to squirrels. I read at one point that the hose deteriorates but can not find confirmation.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #25

The small exposed rubber lined propane hose I have I have wrapped in a screen mesh. Last year after storing it for the summer, I found a squirrel had chewed through it. I have also heard that mice will do this too.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandCTravel View Post
Copper is not a good idea. Copper will fatigue crack from vibration/flexing. There is a reason you don't see springs made of copper. Quoting a Wikipedia article on fatigue limits: " Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys have a distinct limit, an amplitude below which there appears to be no number of cycles that will cause failure. Other structural metals such as aluminum and copper, do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes." (Fatigue limit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Bruce

And that is why I said to clamp it. There are also various grades and hardness copper for various uses.

Ken
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
I spent my working career in non destructive testing Xray ultrasound mag particle penetrant and eddy current on everything from the space shuttle to ocean going ships and nuclear plants so I am well familiar with materials and there life expectancies. Our teardrop has an all aluminum frame which gets an annual inspection for cracking and I check the piping for leaks and cracking. The modulus of elasticity for copper is better than for the aluminum. RVIA standards allow copper and at least the older Airstream's used copper. Mine is well supported so I am not particularly concerned and propane is heavier than air so even if there is a leak no big danger. I check each year and A it will show up when I pressurize and leave it for a couple of days to see if the system leaks down and B I check for leaks using leak detecting fluid when A fails. I had fun last spring as I had a couple of flared connections that needed tightening.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
...and propane is heavier than air so even if there is a leak no big danger.
Heavier than air gases are more of an explosive threat than lighter than air gases. A heavier than air gas will concentrate along the ground and can more readily build up to the LEL (lower explosive limit) whereas a lighter than air gas will generally rise into the atmosphere and dissipate before the LEL is reached. See the first two listings HERE.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane