Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Rubber propane hoses exposed on underbelly normal?

Our new Winnebago 5'er uses a black rubber flexible hose running across the underbelly of the trailer. It runs from the auto switch valve near one tank to a 2nd tank on the opposite side the the trailer. Should I worry about such a hose being exposed to the road surface or is this common on trailers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

It is common and you should have no reason to worry. If you want peace of mind you can get water line insulation from Lowes or Home Depot the size of the propane line and cover them.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

My 5er has black iron pipe where it is exposed.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

It used to be black iron pipe, but I've seen Coachmen trailers going to the rubber LP lines under the trailer. But I wouldn't really worry.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If it does leak, better to have it beneath the trailer than having it enclosed in underbelly. Can you say bomb?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If it does leak, better to have it beneath the trailer than having it enclosed in underbelly. Can you say bomb?
While true my question was regarding the use of rubber hoses exposed to the road surface. I would think road debris and grime could easily puncture a rubber hose. I was expecting to see steel or iron pipe as all of my prior trailers have had.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

The only reason why you shouldn't worry is because you will not put that many miles on the rig and mostly over pretty clean a debris free roads.
That's probably why they did it too.
On vehicles that have to be "reliable", like commercial trucks, critical hoses, lines, etc. are routed away from road debris, shredding tires, etc.
If that cannot be avoided a steel cased tubing is utilized. On my fifth there is a long underbelly run to forward heating units, it's a steel pipe.
I'm surprise about Winnebago, I was under the impression that this company was not in a habit of cutting corners.

hjs
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshuff View Post
Our new Winnebago 5'er uses a black rubber flexible hose running across the underbelly of the trailer. It runs from the auto switch valve near one tank to a 2nd tank on the opposite side the the trailer. Should I worry about such a hose being exposed to the road surface or is this common on trailers?
Yes - IMHO you should indeed be worried. There is too much chance of road debris being kicked up and slashing through a rubber hose. My rig has steel gas lines where they run under the rig. If a rubber hose must be use for flex purposes, it should be protected by a metal shroud.

Jim
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
Yes - IMHO you should indeed be worried. There is too much chance of road debris being kicked up and slashing through a rubber hose. My rig has steel gas lines where they run under the rig. If a rubber hose must be use for flex purposes, it should be protected by a metal shroud.

Jim
But if you're 'moving down the road' any leak would be dissipated safely in the wake of the trailer. How many rubber gas lines have you seen damaged by road debris? Yes it would be nice if the underside of the rig was armor plated to prevent any possible damage, but then you'd need a tank to pull it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
But if you're 'moving down the road' any leak would be dissipated safely in the wake of the trailer. How many rubber gas lines have you seen damaged by road debris? Yes it would be nice if the underside of the rig was armor plated to prevent any possible damage, but then you'd need a tank to pull it.
I haven't seen any rubber gas lines damaged - cuz I don't have any. Yes, the gas may dissipate before you stop, however, you will still be in for a big surprise when your appliances won't work. Steel gas lines don't add much weight...and the last time I checked, I didn't see any other lines that are rubber under the rig, so I guess the extra weight is not a big factor.

Jim
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I'd change out the hose and clamp black iron pipe where exposed under the trailer. As a minimum, run copper and clamp it in place.

On gas lines use only flare connections and pipe thread (with the proper thread sealant). Do not use compression fittings or the white Teflon tape.

Ken
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I'd change out the hose and clamp black iron pipe where exposed under the trailer. As a minimum, run copper and clamp it in place.

On gas lines use only flare connections and pipe thread (with the proper thread sealant). Do not use compression fittings or the white Teflon tape.

Ken
I second that.

No, you can't expect for the RV to built like a tank or be so heavy that you have to pull it with a tank, sadly though the opposite is the "norm" in this industry. There is a lots of utter junk, particularly at the "entry-level", but the temptation to save a buck and cut corners gravitates quite a ways up the "price point scale" and this is another example, this time from Winnebago.
RV industry is at the same point as the car industry was in the 70's, when Chrysler almost went under. Lee Iacocca admitted years later that "we built lots of junk in the 70's". Remember the K cars from Chrysler, or the Citation from GM, or the Pacer from AMC, you can't find any of these "restored" or offered to car collectors at auctions. Or the $1,500 damage from 10 mph collision because bumpers were stamped out to work up to 5 mph, pure "decorations" until insurance companies went nuts.
It also took someone as crazy as Ralph Nader to embarrass everybody and the competition from foreign built cars that would last beyond the last coupon from the payment book.
There is no excuse for what Winnebago did on that rig. It involves safety and reliability and their savings cost wise were minimal. You see stuff like this and one wonders if the RV executives worked first for companies producing stuff sold at Dollar Stores or Flea Markets.

hjs
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #13

On the other hand, how many times have you seen something that flew up and punctured the even softer corrugated plastic bellies? I never have.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
On the other hand, how many times have you seen something that flew up and punctured the even softer corrugated plastic bellies? I never have.
A puncture of a plastic under-belly is pretty much a non-event, but puncturing a propane line can be a big event possibly resulting in afire.

Not a good comparison.

Ken

Tags
propane