Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Rubber Roof Issue

Today we looked at a 2012 Keystone Cougar 274RLS. It's like new but when I went on the roof I noticed the rubber membrane is bubbled all over the roof. There were no holes or cracks but I'm concerned about the fact that the membrane separated from the roof in lots of areas.

Should I be concerned about this? We put a deposit on it.

Thanks so much.

Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd pass on the unit. Current 2013 has no bubbles and the previous usnits with rubber roofs did not have bubbles.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
If you could get the unit at a discount... I would draw a small circle on each bubble... I'd consider putting a hole in each bubble with a needle and letting the air out... I'd push in some adhesive... stick the membrane back down to the roof.... and put a dab of sealer on each pin hole... this is the type of repair a dealer would do.. if the unit was in the shop under warranty... and is a suitable repair...
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
I'm with jelag a discount and if they repair it get a written warranty on the repairs, and no it's not normal to have bubbles in the membrane. Sounds like a bad glue job or the glue has broken down.
Jim/Lois 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA3797 F53 - V10
Bel Air, Maryland 5 Star Tuning & Air Lift Bags
camperkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
I'm with jelag a discount and if they repair it get a written warranty on the repairs, and no it's not normal to have bubbles in the membrane. Sounds like a bad glue job or the glue has broken down.
Fist question to ask is why wasn't it fixed under warranty?

Repairing the roof as described is a tedious task....do you only fix the 1" -1/2" bubbles or do double the work and fix the 3/8" bubble as well ....then there are the 1/4" bubbles. ...What it will look like in 4-5 year and how will the patch up affect the resale at that time.

If the rood isn't right, then what else? Some RVs start out wrong and move through the factory with mistakes being make on one after the other.

Unless the price is discounted more than the cost of replacing the roof I'd move on.....there are thousands of RVs (especially mass produced like Forrest River, Keystone, Jayco) out there for sale.

RV industry is booming right now but people change RVs an average of every 3 years.......in 2-4 years the market will be flooded with used RVs.
F350 6.7PS CC -TST TPMS - Honda 3000is
- Carriage Cameo 34SB3 Hensley BD3 & 19k Sidewinder
- Outdoors 270DBHS
-SwayPro1500 -BlueSea VSM422 - 2x50amp Chargers

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
That to me sounds like a roof that needs to be replaced,,, not repaired...
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Depending upon the size and location of the bubbles there is likely no real problem other than cosmetic. Unless there are holes the membrane will not leak. Do not intentionally poke holes in it unless you want it to leak.

Negotiate a discount if you and a clause that says if the bubbles increase in size the membrane will be replaced.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote