Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We use the three all the time depending on temps...
That's why they have thermostats
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #16

3 AC

I run 3 all the time,220 dryer also at the same time,no problem.2018 drv
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #17

If you are at 112 degrees you really need some sort of full sun shade for the rig.
One that covers the roof of the rig.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
I think you could even ask your wife this one. $1000.00 for new A/C or at least $25,000.00 dollars or more, likley more, likley much more for a "better build" unit cause you could use it for a couple of months a year and the electicity is free. I`ll bleed thank you
Hi i gladly dont have a general to report to. if i did id be divorced in 60 days. issues like you mentioned are exactly why. but to each his own. good luck

Me being full time. Im on my 4th rig. But the rig i have now weather temps dont effect it no matter where i am. guess im biased toward build, structure and insulation. happy camping
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #19

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmck View Post
Recently I've seen several high-end fifth wheels sporting three roof AC units. Because I'll be staying in Tucson this summer (in a 2016 Bighorn with 2 ACs), the idea of a third unit has my attention. If all three are 15,000 BTUs I believe that they would need something like 41.5 amps (13.5 x 3) when running together. I understand that they can't all be turned on at once because of start-up demand issues, but it seems like they should all run fine with a standard 50 amp shore connection. The downside I guess is that you probably won't be able to run, say, the water heater and micro at the same time but I think that should be manageable. Or maybe I'm missing something here, just wondering what more knowledgeable folks might think about this. Truth is, if all three can run at once I'm going to have a hard look at one of these fivers real soon.
Find shade, as much as you can. Absolute first priority. Morning sun is tolerable, but you want most shade on the S and W. Situate your rig with the a$$ end S, so it doesn't heat up the bedroom as much.

If you don't have slide toppers, install some. Shade...

Last year, someone posted a DIY window awning in Trailer Life (IIRC). Plywood boards cut to slip over the upper flange on their slides, with a "curtain rod" that went across. Had an awing made with a rod pocket for the rod to slip into. Tied the outer end down with stakes. Cuts off the view, but that could be mitigated with some poles on the outer end.

If you have a way to vent it, get a portable A/C and run it off the 110v plug on the pedestal, so you don't have to worry about your internal panel.

Lyle
Old 01-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #20

Problem with many portable AC units is that they discharge hot air that has gone thru the condenser coil. That creates a negetive pressure in the RV.

With negetive pressure, hot air from outside will flow in from every nook and cranny to equalise the pressure.

There are a few 2 hose units that use outside air to cool the condenser and then discharge that. I would want that in 100° temps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #21

We changed ours out to mini splits and they sip electricity. Keep us very cool and they are so quiet
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
What are you guys doing with 3 AC's running? Do you just leave your milk/cold drinks on the counter? We have 1 AC in our fifth wheel and even in 105F temps, the inside is bearable, low 80's with the humidity removed.
Everyone has different views and comforts with ac or heat.
I run mine when it's hot. All of them. Unless your totally shaded, your going to get heated up fast in the sun and in the summer.
I sleep in mid 60's with my ac running.
But I'm in my 40's sso maybe that's why?
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
Everyone has different views and comforts with ac or heat.
I run mine when it's hot. All of them. Unless your totally shaded, your going to get heated up fast in the sun and in the summer.
I sleep in mid 60's with my ac running.
But I'm in my 40's sso maybe that's why?

Not all people try to be carbon foot friendly to the planet. We usually sleep 50's in the winter time and 78 for summer. For Jan in our winter campground, a couple in a 30' TT had a $15 elec bill for this month and 2 lots down a 34' MH was complaining about their $160 elec bill. Our bill was $44.10.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #24

still ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Hi i gladly dont have a general to report to. if i did id be divorced in 60 days. issues like you mentioned are exactly why. but to each his own. good luck

Me being full time. Im on my 4th rig. But the rig i have now weather temps dont effect it no matter where i am. guess im biased toward build, structure and insulation. happy camping
Sad... I rest my case
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Palm Springs in July and Aug. 120 degrees. Run 2 full time. 3rd comes on periodically. They only pull 7-8 amps each on high. Family loved one dying. Had to be there.
So hot did not have to turn on hot water heater for showers.