Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #1

when traveling in freezing temps how do you keep trailer warm. ran full day in 20 degree temps took forever to warm up 5th whl.stopping not an option. memory foam matress topper turns to plywood at freezing !!!!!!!!!!!
Sarah and Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #2

when traveling in freezing temps how do you keep trailer warm. ran full day in 20 degree temps took forever to warm up 5th whl.stopping not an option. memory foam matress topper turns to plywood at freezing !!!!!!!!!!!
Sarah and Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #3

It seems logical to me. But then I run my fridge on propane when I am traveling.
Chet
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
What Chet said.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hmmmm, never really thought about that. We probably wouldn't heat the 5-r, anyway, during towing...wouldn't like to use up that much propane - save it for the destination. We even turn the fridge propane off while travelling when it's in the low 40's. Fridge temp never rises when it's that cold out. When it is cold, we have an electric matress pad plus an electric blanket that we plug in & turn on as soon as shore power is hooked up. That gets the matress & topper thawed out & toasty. We also are sure to open all the cabinet/closet doors/drawers for a bit when we do get set up & turn on the furnace & space heaters. Otherwise that cold air stays inside those closed spaces for a long time & comes out into a warm camper later. Nuthin' like cold underwear to get you really awake in the morning!
L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #6

I was told that it's not good to run the furnace will traveling on the road.So i never do it .When we get setup we turn furnace on plus turn on 2 electric heaters doesn't take long to warm up.

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
RayRiviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not see any reason not to run the furnace while under way. We have traveled in freezing weather and to start taking the chill off the trailer, I stop about an hour before we arrive at our destination and start the heater and set it fro like 60 dF. By the time we arrive, the trailer has started to warm up a bit.

Never had any problem doing this.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I have no problem with running the fridge while traveling, because I do. But running the furnace is another thing. I know that SOB gets real hot and I would just hate to have that thing catch on fire while attached to the truck, or anytime. I just don't see where that's real smart, I just light it off while setting up, it takes the chill off real quick like.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #9

Though you could get by, I think there is clearly increased risk by running the furnace while traveling...

My question for you guys, though, is what other options are there to keep the water lines from freezing up while traveling in really cold temps?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 AM   #10

Hi Sarah! This is Jo! Too funny that I find you on this website!!

I know what you mean about the foam mattress topper turning into plywood. We have a TempurPedic and man oh man does that thing get hard in the cold. Go to WalMart and invest in a dual control, heated mattress pad cover. It will run you about $65. Plug the sucker in as soon as you hook up. With the dual controls, Jack will be able to set his side at his preference, and you'll be able to set yours to your desired temp as well. They work great! I just love slipping into a warm bed when it's cold out. They cost pennies to run as well.

As far as keeping the rig warm when traveling, it seems like the forum is split on running with the furnace on. We don't do it. We just don't think the risk is worth it. What we do, is we turn on the furnace as soon as we park. We do the set up and keep the furnace just cranking. Open your cabinet doors too. I also turn an electric heater on. We found that when we were in cold weather, we had to set the temperature a bit higher to keep the heat level up.

Don't you just love living in your 5'er in cold weather??? Ugh!

Hope all is well. Email me with an update on you guys. Hope to see you sometime soon!

GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax
Mooky Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote