Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #99

The strip I mounted under my awning frame is one of those color changing type and I can select one of many different fade color rotating and flash modes. Party camper style!

The real reason for the multi color dimmable strip is I'm an amateur astronomer and I can switch it to night vision red and dim it way down when I'm setting up and taking down my scope. That is unless my neighbor has his cranked to aircraft landing light mode.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #100

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
The strip I mounted under my awning frame is one of those color changing type and I can select one of many different fade color rotating and flash modes. Party camper style!

The real reason for the multi color dimmable strip is I'm an amateur astronomer and I can switch it to night vision red and dim it way down when I'm setting up and taking down my scope. That is unless my neighbor has his cranked to aircraft landing light mode. [emoji23]
Love this [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #101

Quote:

The real reason for the multi color dimmable strip is I'm an amateur astronomer and I can switch it to night vision red and dim it way down when I'm setting up and taking down my scope. That is unless my neighbor has his cranked to aircraft landing light mode.
Many times when looking at the shadows from yellow pouch lights I have wished that it was socially acceptable to use red outside the door.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Many times when looking at the shadows from yellow pouch lights I have wished that it was socially acceptable to use red outside the door.
Isn't it? You gotta pay for that camper somehow.
Lynn
Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #103

Lights,LED,Action

To the OP, why even bother permanently fixing lights to your rig? How much light does one need? Doesn’t the light on the exterior wall work? IMHO.... I’ve decided in the past 5 years that a rope light on the ground surrounding our patio mat under our awning is plenty of light. I used to set up lighted flags,or mini palm trees etc.,fun stuff for the kids. This whole bright LED craze is out of control. It’s like walking through an RV dealership lot lit up at night. Have you driven by “South of the Border”,off I-95 after dark lately?? That’s what many CG’s have become. I get it in a primarily seasonal park, where you have a choice not to stay there,but not NP’s or State Parks where I should not feel that daytime needs to be extended after dark.Is that Glamping? Bigger, Brighter, Bolder. The tides of change aren’t always what we expected.
Kennest6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #104

This is what I use to string my 16' LED awning lights up with.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-De-...UaAlH2EALw_wcB
I attach these to the edge of the awning, tie a clothesline to the loops on the De-Flappers under the awning and hang the LED strip from the clothes line. I can hang the strip with clothes pins or simply wrap the strip around the rope.
Depending on how high or how low I have the outside of the awning I can slide these back and forth to keep the light shining where I want or need it.
I have plenty of light but don't impose on someone else by shining up the night sky.
I haven't considered a dimmer before but after reading all these posts I will look into it.
On a real windy day I can use these to help secure the awning together with the other set I use just for that purpose.
Too windy I roll the awning up of course.
Lynn
Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #105

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was going to mention that mine has them attached to the strip of heavy duty vinyl that attaches the awning fabric to the wall so the lights work even when the awning is rolled up and also that we rarely use them in summer because they attract bugs so bad the whole wall will be covered in minutes. That brings tons of them in each time you open the door. But then I decided that after 8 pages there was not much left to say.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #106

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Boy did you hit the nail on the head!!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Isn't it? You gotta pay for that camper somehow.
Lynn
You get two thumbs up
Old 01-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennest6 View Post
To the OP, why even bother permanently fixing lights to your rig? How much light does one need? Doesn’t the light on the exterior wall work? IMHO.... I’ve decided in the past 5 years that a rope light on the ground surrounding our patio mat under our awning is plenty of light. I used to set up lighted flags,or mini palm trees etc.,fun stuff for the kids. This whole bright LED craze is out of control. It’s like walking through an RV dealership lot lit up at night. Have you driven by “South of the Border”,off I-95 after dark lately?? That’s what many CG’s have become. I get it in a primarily seasonal park, where you have a choice not to stay there,but not NP’s or State Parks where I should not feel that daytime needs to be extended after dark.Is that Glamping? Bigger, Brighter, Bolder. The tides of change aren’t always what we expected.
Yes the rope lights around the two patio mats are what we use as well as the porch light on the MH. It is amber and faces downwards.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennest6 View Post

That’s why they come with dimmers!
Bargeloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #110

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargeloh View Post
That’s why they come with dimmers!
Which are worthless if not used!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
So are shades and an eye mask so if you dont like LED lights great do buy a coach with them but some ofnus doo and will continue to install and use them. So getting back to the topic there are the new ones that are controled by blue tooth with a smart phone, so the range of collors is much better and the dimmer as well.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #112
tcg

I'm putting off going outside to take down my Christmas lights because it's 25 out right now so I thought I'd kill a few minutes and read this topic.

After reading a few posts I was hopeful that this was the topic that everyone would finally agree on lights or no lights.

Or at least everyone would agree to not care.

Oh well, maybe the next topic about lights will change each other's minds.

Better go take down those Christmas lights before my neighbors call the light police.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light, lights