Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

RV Carport Question

I'm planning to install a carport to store my 32' 5th wheel with two slides on same side. I'm going to get one 36' long. However, not sure what width and height to get. I have several trees in the area I'm building that will affect the width only so having to decide how wide I need to go; thus how many trees to cut down. Basically, my choices seem to be either 12' or 18' wide unless I want a custom width. The suggested height dimension on each end will be 12' and will go up to 14' 3' at the center. With Carolina Carport it's only a $100 difference between the two widths so naturally would like to get as wide as possible. Plus, they advised me any width between 13'-17' will cost the same as the 18'. Anyway, my question is; what is the minimum width you've seen/recommend that allows the two slides to be opened as well as allow room to maneuver the RV into the closure? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.
Roy & Vickie
2004 Cardinal 29RKLE
Chiefe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

For the $100 I would go with the 18'. Better to have enough room to extend slides if you want. Is the height enough? Don't want to hit anything and will you be able to work on the roof while inside the cover? I have an 18' ceiling for my garage and I can walk on the roof slightly bent over to work on things. Makes it nice and dry.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

I was thinking of going with 15 foot on mine. So, if yours will only be $100 more I think I would go with the 18 foot. You can always park something else under there like a tractor, snow mobile, jet ski or some other fun toy.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

Just noticed you are a first timer here so.................
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the small additional money it would cost you, go 40' if you can spare the space. We put up a 40' for a 36' mh and then traded for one about 1' longer and wish it was 45' now.

Good luck with your project and welcome to IRV2!

burfurd
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #6

carport question

Go with as large a carport as you can fit in your space, four years ago we built a 40ft long by 18 ft wide building for a 35 ft Montana fifth wheel and guess what this December we purchased a 41 foot Cedar Creek. Because of where I placed the building I was only able to add an additional 5 feet to the front of the building which was as expensive as 10 feet due to how the siding is cut in lengths of 10 feet. lesson learned but at least our camper is kept out of the elements and can be worked on regardless of the weather.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have recommended, build it as large as space allows. You won't be sorry and the incremental expence now is much less than expanding later. Bigger accomodates a next RV, toad in addition to coach, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

Build it longer and wider than you ever think you will need--it gets real small after you put the fiver in there, and you need room to get around the back and sides easily.
Joe
And yes, welcome.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #9

I have one 18 X 45 and I like the width. I went a little extra tall and it is worth it to me, I can work on the roof without pulling it out. Mine is certified by North Carolina building codes and is worth the extra $$$$.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #10

Extra length & width will come in handy to work on it, as well as be a selling feature in the future. If your assessor taxes the structure (most do) you can probably show the receipt(s) as evidence of the cost, and the small increment won't cost you much in the long run. The slab (if you're going concrete) will be by the square foot. Build the slab to carry a heavy motorhome as someone in the future will be interested in whether the slab can carry serious weight.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

I'm looking for the same type cover for my Cedar Creek FL38 which is 41' long. I'm in Asheville, would you mind sharing your contact on the awning? I would like to compare prices. Thanks
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefe9 View Post
will be 12' and will go up to 14' 3' at the center.
Have you checked, double checked and then re-checked the height requirements. The Forest River website list the 2012 Cardinal at 13 ft. Maybe the height of yours is different. Twelve foot eave heights may be fine as long as you perfectly center the 5'er and get the widest one possible. As others indicated, you won't be able to access much on your roof unless you lie on your belly.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Don't just consider the storage size as you WILL have to back that puppy in

most of the rv sites we visit are 14' wide and I usually have to cut a corner or two to get in and straightened out...

Also you will have to have clearance on the back and top to 'tilt' the rv to hook and unhook (don't ask me how I know this can be a problem )

I would say a min of 14' wide and high...
and if your 32' rv is not 35' total length and 1 or 2 foot clearance needed on the back and front... as all have said - extra and growing room is better and much cheaper now.

Do put sewer, water, and power there (or at least prep for it now to be done later)- you will love the convenience !

jealous am I as I can't park in my yard even though I have the room.... but, I knew the HOA rules when I moved in
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

Thanks all for responses so far. My RV is 33' from bumper to hitch. Your responses have given me reason to look at 40-41' lengths as well as going at least an extra foot higher at the eves (just requires cutting more trees, ha!). For "Just Beachy", I'm looking at the Carolina Carport brand since I already have two of their carports for storing my "toys" and am pleased. However, someone on the Cardinal website suggested a company called T-N-T which has similar units approx same prices.