Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

RV Covers -- Pros & Cons Please

We're thinking about covering our 5th wheel for the winter and would appreciate some feedback as to the best type and brand of cover to use.

We live at the base of Mt. Hood, Oregon, so get a lot of rain and snow during the winter. We plan to keep a small heater running in the unit instead of winterizing it.

We're considering either a water-proof tarp with grommets, or an ADCO breathable RV cover.

The tarp is a lot less expensive, but we're concerned about condensation build-up due to lack of breathability.

We'd like to hear about your experiences, and we welcome your recommendations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Buy 3 tarps or 1 Adco and you will be okay
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Hope you thought of that heater being able to heat the underbelly or storage bays where there's pipes with water in them.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

Why leave it heated? Not a good idea IMHO. What if you loose power?
Delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Adco covers will last 3 years, 4 tops, IMO. If you do a search on RV cover, you'll find several threads about them. HERE's photos of what we had happen w/ours the 1st winter we used one.

It did keep our coach nice, clean & UV unaffected over the course of the 3 winters we used one, though.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We padded some of the areas we thought would wear through our Adco cover like gutter ends and places on the awning. When we removed the cover, there wear a couple of tears elsewhere. Adco had adhesive backed repair pieces available and that has helped extend the life of our cover. I think many people experience tears due to putting the cover on too tight. I will get another Adco cover when our's finally needs replacement.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

Heater inside will not keep the pipes in the basement level warm. Winterizing should not take much more than 15-20 min and prevent a costly repair
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
okgc is correct. A heater inside won't do anything to keep pipes from freezing. $12-$15 worth of antifreeze is a small price to pay for peace of mind during the harshest of winter temps.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO ...Covers are a waste of money. Depending on type, they hold humidity, causing mold/mildew on at least the outside. RVs are built to withstand the elements. If rubber roof, cleaning and UV Protection once a year. Wash and and wax when needed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Ours went on yesterday. Lets see how well it holds up.

All plugged in too. We leave the country for 4 months Wednesday. (Not because of the election.)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan
We leave the country for 4 months Wednesday. (Not because of the election.)
LOL, I hear ya
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #12

Funny story a friend of mine put a cover on his motor home for the winter then wrapped shrink wrap around it a few timed to keep it from blowing around a few weeks later we had a major ice storm 1" thick or more. No power but had city water so they decided to move into the MH. It took him all day to get in and the cover off so he could run the generator and stay in it destroyed the cover and never bought another.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mt. Hood

I bought a cover for my last fifth wheel. I put it on a couple of times but decided that the risk of getting blown off the roof as the cover catches a gust of wind like a giant sail was not worth it. Tyvek is slippery too!

I've made the trek to Hood River a few times for windsurfing. It's slightly windy there isn't it?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #14

PPutting a oil filled radiator type heater in the basement will keep it warm and you will need to take the wall out to the crawl space and put a small fan to move the air around. Drain what you can if you don't want to winterize but the cost of electric and possible repairs . If you have a rear kitchen it will freeze no matter what you do
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote