Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Rv leveling system

I have a cedar creek silverback RE 29 2012. I am looking hard at the bigfoot system however any advice at this time would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
bgant4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have a 4 point Big Foot system on our 2011 Cameo. It was standard equipment. We love it! Most systems are 6 point due to the frame. Carriage only used the 4 point Big Foot system. One thing about the Big Foot is that each jack is fully self-contained where as the others have lots of fluid liines running throughlout. If Forest River will approve the 4 point system, I'd go for the Big Foot. Phillip
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have the bigfoot 4 point system on my HitchHiker, love it, however I have heard of some problems with the new system that bigfoot uses but I still think it is worth it, mine is the earlier automatic system and has not had any problems. Most of the issues I've heard of is with the sensors on the newer systems.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I have the Lippert 4 point system on my trailer and love it! It makes setting up so much easier. The Lippert system also comes with a set of electric stabilizers on the rear that makes the trailer even more stable. I have friends that have the Big Foot system and they like theirs.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I have the Lippert 4 point system on my trailer and love it! It makes setting up so much easier. The Lippert system also comes with a set of electric stabilizers on the rear that makes the trailer even more stable. I have friends that have the Big Foot system and they like theirs.
I have the six jack system, but heres my newbie question, my unit seems so wiggley once all leveled out i have seen folks use a tri pod under fifth wheel hitch pin and jacks uder slides is there some easir (cheaper) way for better stabalization ?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Do you use X-chocks to stop your tires from rocking? My Keystone 3600RS just has the front hydraulic jacks and the rear electric jacks. I chock the tires with the BAL X- Chocks and it stays nicely. We were instructed by the selling dealer NOT to use the tripod or slide supports on new design campers.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

I have the electric Lippert 6 leg system in my 5ver. I love it. It isn't as fast as a hydraulic system, but it works very well. I usually just push the button and then go about my other setup tasks such as the sewer and water while it's doing it's thing. Takes 2 mins tops.

The main deck is very stable with all six legs set. The upper deck is still alittle wiggly, especially with the washer going. So I got a king pin support for $75 from Amazon. With that added, the whole trailer is rock solid. You just have to remember to release that king pin support if you want to relevel.

My trailer came with the brackets for the supports you can put on the front legs, but I don't really see what good those would do. Having to crawl around under the trailer to adjust them kinda defeats the purpose of having an autolevel system if you ask me.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I have the Lippert 4-point electric on my 5er which came as a free add on with the Touring Edition. It works really well at leveling but I do notice a lot of rocking. I love the convenience of the auto leveling but, at least with the Lippert, it has a little too much play in the jacks to give a real solid stance.

I added xchocks but that only helped a little. So now I am looking to add JT Strongarms in a few weeks when I have the unit back in for some warranty work. Hopefully that will improve the situation.

Bare in mind the Mrs and I aren't small folks so that too may be making a difference. Either way ... we LOVE the trailer ... so some rocking is a minor annoyance that doesn't ruin our enjoyment.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

I can't respond to trailer applications but our 2001 class A DP has Big Foot levelers and they still work great. Also their customer service and parts deparment are very good. As someone already posted, each leveler is independent so any mechnical maintenance is fairly straight forward. I had to replace an up solenoid recently and customer support guy (Rick) was very helpful. Be sure and get the system with "Äuto Leveling". It's definitely worth the money!

WM
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
I have the six jack system, but heres my newbie question, my unit seems so wiggley once all leveled out i have seen folks use a tri pod under fifth wheel hitch pin and jacks uder slides is there some easir (cheaper) way for better stabalization ?
We have some wiggle in ours but it depends a lot on what kind of ground we are on and how far the jacks are extended,

We use a tripod because it relieve the movement from the W&D, the slide outs they say not to use them it forces the slides not to set right and in turn they don't sill right with the trailer, that's what I found when I did the research,

I think the Bigfoot is a better system and have heard they have great customer service, however I would never put a 4 point leveling on most trailers being manufactured now days the frames to weak. I wish they made a 6 point
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by life2short View Post

We have some wiggle in ours but it depends a lot on what kind of ground we are on and how far the jacks are extended,

We use a tripod because it relieve the movement from the W&D, the slide outs they say not to use them it forces the slides not to set right and in turn they don't sill right with the trailer, that's what I found when I did the research,

I think the Bigfoot is a better system and have heard they have great customer service, however I would never put a 4 point leveling on most trailers being manufactured now days the frames to weak. I wish they made a 6 point
thanks for all the good info. i had a couple of small scissor jacks four bucks each from pricess auto. i jammed them in between tires and tightened up it seemed to help a lot maybe ill weld something on bottom and top to fit tire curve. Am heading out tomorrow on a side trip will look around for a k pin jack. i think the type of soil is a huge factor to as someone suggested. its like small pebbles here so probably helps for wiggle. i think ill cut some larger pieces of plywood to put under the jacks that might help too i use the orange plastic thingy,s but maybe i need more surface area. at home on a pasture with six feet down im rock solid. Will look on amazon thats a sweet suggestion also. thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

We've had the Big Foot 4 point fully automatic system on our 5th wheel for almost 4 years. We are a triple axle 38' so we have 4 17,000 pound jacks on our system. They work wonderfully well.
If you have a smaller or lighter 5th wheel, you could opt for the 4 point fully automatic system that has 2 17,000 pound & 2 12,000 pound jacks. Hugs, Di
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #13

I was asking questions last year now maybe I can help. I have 30' 5er but it is not a "full time rig" I had a Rieco-Titan system Installed. I believe they supply Lippert with the jacks and motors for their automatic system. The Reico-Titan system is NOT automatic, I talked to one of the owners and he said last year they where working on one but had problems when the fifth wheel is really off level. The system I have has two remotes one plugged into the control box, basically a spare and a wireless to use. It is SO simple to use I don't know if a auto system is much easier.
Each jack will lift 5,000 lbs, so you have a total of 20,000 lbs. of lifting power.(that might limit some of you BIG boys)

As for the ? About rocking put a little more pressure on your jacks, thus taking the wiggle out of the tire. Works for me.

As for being afraid of a four point system don't be. Lippert puts them on and if you poke around you will find they make most of the frames. So in my mind they are not going to do anything that screws up one of their own products.

Also if one motor goes bad when camping you can switch one motor to another jack or you can hand rachet them up with your socket set. They are not as powerful as hydraulic but they are faster and they don't leak, are less expensive and if you have a problem you can call one of the owners not some help desk. That is my 4 cents worth hope it helps some people. Thanks Paul from Ut.

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Does anyone know if on the Lippet Hydraulic system if theres a shutoff valve back to the reservoir mine seems to be going un level after a couple of weeks.

Tags
leveling