Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #1

My wife and I just recently purchased our new Ameri-camp 5er. I would like to know what most of you use up front by king pin to level your 5er. There are so many to choose from. I like the Tamarack by wheel masters at camping world but read bad reviews about them. I had the little hoppy's before, worked great but really hard to see. Do any of you use the tamarack level and like it? Hope to hear from you all soon because I would like to order it but I won't if you all have problems with them.

Brian
Yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #2

My wife and I just recently purchased our new Ameri-camp 5er. I would like to know what most of you use up front by king pin to level your 5er. There are so many to choose from. I like the Tamarack by wheel masters at camping world but read bad reviews about them. I had the little hoppy's before, worked great but really hard to see. Do any of you use the tamarack level and like it? Hope to hear from you all soon because I would like to order it but I won't if you all have problems with them.

Brian
Old 01-04-2004, 03:47 AM   #3

We use the Super Level from Camping World and find it very easy to see, especially from inside the truck when trying to get the rig level when pulling into a site.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=SRCH&tcode=37
Some of the reviews say that the liguid turns milky and makes the ball hard to see, but we have had ours for several years with no problem ... could be due to freezing temps up North ?

Florida Boomers Member

I have gone to look for myself ... If I should return before I get back, please keep me here

Ed
Andrea
Teddy (black Shih Tzu)
Nickie (Apple head Chihuahua)
36' Carriage w/ backup camera (11,800#'s loaded)
Sewer Solution
Electric Jacks
F350 PSD Dually with Hypertech chip
HX Mod
3" exhaust headers
Prodigy brake controller
and other toys
(6840#'s loaded)

<A HREF="http://www.retailwebplaza.com" TARGET=_blank>
Save on Products for Home / Auto / Office / Electronics</A>

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:14 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've used the Tamarack Jumbo level on my last four fivers and like it very much. When mounted appropriately on the nose of the fiver its very easy to read when backing into a site and has a smaller vial for reading the front to rear attitude of the rig after unhitching.

Richard

<font color=red>Click Here For The 2004 National Rally Sign Up Page</font color>

2002 HitchHiker Discovery towed with a 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:59 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
I've used the _Tamarack Jumbo level_ on my last four fivers and like it very much...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the same level on the front of my travel trailer. The level is a year old and still looks new.

Easy to see from inside the tow vehicle. I'd install another one on my next trailer.

<font color=black>Russell ('58), Janice ('62), Lauren ('87), Katie ('90), Sarah ('94)</font>
<font color=red>'02 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4X4 8.1 ltr 4.10 gears</font>
<font color=blue>'03 SunnyBrook/MobileScout 29DBS</font>
<font color=#ff3300>'01 Hensley Arrow Hitch</font>

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:37 AM   #6

I used one of the Tamarack Jumbo levels (tried two actually) and finally returned them. It's a great idea, but there is way too much friction or whatever for it to respond to small changes in angle.

I am currently using a pair of the ones shown below. I installed one inside the door to my landing gear switch so that I can see it when I level front-back (pitch). The one for side-to-side (roll) I installed just inside the entry door on the basement wall. What's kind of nice with these levels is that they are calibrated. 1 marking on the level coorsponds to 1" of leveling required. They are actually intended for motor homes, but work fine for a trailer too. The price is cheap and seem to be sensitive enough to be accurate.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...33&skunum=5905

Sold Dodge 2001.5 2500 QC 4X4 LWB
On Order Dodge 2004.5 3500 QC 4X4 LWB SRW
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #7

I have the level system noted in your post and find the only fault is slow response of the ball. If using a ramp to change the height under a particular side you have to go quite slow or you will be out of level on the opposite side. That said I've used it many many times over the last two years and am very satisfied with it as I can see it through my rear veiw mirror.

having fun
We're Dick and Jane,no spot only Lilly Beagle
2002 Ford 350 4X4 PSD LB, 327rls Sprinter HP 5th wheel.

We're Dick and Jane,no spot only Lilly Beagle
hmsbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #8

Thank you all so much for your replies. I think I will go with the tamarack and take my chances. I like it much better because of the line increments and easier to see. I use to have the same level as Ken Lenger had, the glass didn't fade but the liquid did and was really hard to see. Again thank you all so much for your replies.

Brian
Old 01-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #9

I have used both the Super Level and the Jumbo Level, one on each of the last 2 TT. I preferred the Super Level because of the quicker action (fluid is less vicous), but the Jumbo Level's calibration marks allow me to predict how many blocks I have to put under the wheels (one 1" block for each mark). I could see both of them easily through the rear view mirror of my extended cab truck.

Although it is more money, in my opinion the Jumbo Level is the better product.

Paul <>< Lake Almanor, CA
2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
2000 Ford F150 XLT 7700 SuperCab 5.4L V-8, 3.73
Moved to mountain retirement home in 2001.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:53 AM   #10

One thing that threw me for a loop is that the levels with the balls act opposite the levels with air bubbles. I've been towing trailers for almost 20 years, got one of the ones with a ball and it took me quite a while to get used to going the correct way to level. Good luck. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #11

I use the Hoppy rear view level on my 5'er. In between me and my family we have them on 3 5'ers and 1 TT. They work great we mounted them to the front of the kingpin. For some reason two of the levels lost the green pigment and the liquid turn clear. The level still worked great. I called hoppy told them what happened, that they were about 1.5 years old and they apologized for the inconvinience got my address and sent me two new units and told me to keep the bad ones or throw them away. Hoppy definately has my vote

The plastic on mine is white not black though

Ronnie
Cypress, TX
2000 F250 PSD
1973 VW THING
2001 Sportsmen Fifth Wheel
2000 Kawasaki Prairie 4x4

Cypress, TX
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #12

I lay a 24" level on the floor of the front compartment and check for level side-ways, then place 2x8x5' under the tires on the side that needs to be raised and back up on the planks, then I turn the level lenght-wise to get a idea of where to pin my landing gear so I can raise or lower the landing gear to level lenght-wise before I unhook from the truck. Works for me !!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #13

To reply to a very old post, I went to a local camper parts dealer and bought the Hoppy rear view levels and fabricated a bracket to put up on the king pin. After careful consideration of all posts and then actually comparing prices the Hoppy won out. It works great, the liquid inside it has already turned clear and it took a little time to adjust to the level working backwards from the little Hoppy's I had before. I would still buy this unit again and "I am a happy camper" for it.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #14

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Yeah, I use a standard carpenters level. The ones that attach to the trailer do not stay straight. They get hit when washing, the move from other misc reason, not very reliable IMO.</span>

Destrehan, Louisiana
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote