Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
RV protection package - Is it worth it

I would like some advice on this topic.

We purchased a used (2013) 5'er and the dealer is offering a protection package for the rig that includes replacement or repair of anything that goes wrong with the rig but the package offered is around $4,000.00 which seems pricey.

Anyone have any recommendations on other protection packages that I can purchase or do you think this is an option we should buy? I know appliances that go bad are expensive to replace but this package is for 5 years and we are just curious we you all think.

U038340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
"replacement or repair of anything that goes wrong" is too broad of a statement. There has to be a lot of exclusions, or exemptions, that would render this coverage very hard to apply.
I believe you would be better off to place the $4k in a separate account and use it for any repairs that come up.
Also, find out the source of the policy (who is responsible to pay for any "anything that goes wrong") and check them out on internet reviews.
Sounds too good to be true...

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
You can easily look up what the policy covers (and what it excludes) by looking it up online. What's the deductible? Can you use a mobile technician? Remember, if the salesman's lips are moving, . . . .
There are other extended warranty companies out there, look up a few and compare. Ask more questions, never take a salesman's words as gospel. He's making a commission on that policy.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Units hardly ever breakdown or need repairs while at home.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
If you can winterize your unit, install new batteries or change the tires your way ahead already. Be aware that most (maybe not all) exclude structural damages which IMO would be the only reason to even consider a 3rd party warranty as well as "normal wear and tear" and $4000 is steep. If you do need it shop around.
2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #6
I will say from my experience, unless you are willing to spend MONTHS arguing over repairs, that service contract is not worth the paper it is printed on. You would do better putting that money in a savings account to pay for something you want to go with the camper. I believe that warranty repairs are lowest priority, and always require at least 3 months to complete! I spoke about replacing a damaged fender on my unit, and it was a 6 week turnaround! I am putting it on myself in 1/2 hour labor!
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab MAXTOW DRW, 2015 Forest River Dynamax Trilogy 38RL
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Thanks for all of your advice and opinions on this. I know Good Sam offers these types of service plans also. We purchased a 2013 Rig used and there is no warranty left on the rig so that is the reason I was inquiring...... Thanks again

U038340 is offline   Reply With Quote