Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #1

Our 5th wheel suffered some minor damage when a car ran through a fence at the storage facility and struck the back of the trailer. I've been given the names of two RV repair shops by the insurance company for the car driver. If anyone knows of or has had experience with either of these, I would like to know of your experience.

Russell RV - Conroe, TX

RV Masters - Houston, TX

The insurance company, Foremost Insurance (subsidiary of Farmers) will guarantee repairs by either of these, so there is some reason to go to one of them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #2

Our 5th wheel suffered some minor damage when a car ran through a fence at the storage facility and struck the back of the trailer. I've been given the names of two RV repair shops by the insurance company for the car driver. If anyone knows of or has had experience with either of these, I would like to know of your experience.

Russell RV - Conroe, TX

RV Masters - Houston, TX

The insurance company, Foremost Insurance (subsidiary of Farmers) will guarantee repairs by either of these, so there is some reason to go to one of them.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
While I don't have any experience with either of the repair facilities you've listed, the hair stands up on the back of my neck whenever an insurance company (especially the other guy's) tries to steer me into a particular repair facility. Is their motivation my satisfaction or the fact that they think they can come out of the deal cheaper by having the repair done there? But, hey, maybe I'm just too old and cynical....

If you want to consider alternate recommendations, I can heartily recommend Thornton's RV Repair & Service in Magnolia, TX. Our Mobile Suites 5th wheel experienced over $2K in structural, electrical system and bodywork damage due to a tire failure. Thornton's handled the repairs to our complete satisfaction - Gene Thornton wouldn't release the RV until he knew that everything was right.

Whichever way you go, good luck in getting your RV repaired and back on the road.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Thanks, Rusty. I get pretty nervous about insurance company recommendations just like you.

I did talk with the service manager at Russell RV in Conroe. He told me that most of their business is insurance work. I'm not so sure that would be a good thing for me. The guy did seem to know what he was talking about.

Think I will call Thorntons.

Update: Thorntons is closed for holidays until Jan. 5.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
HERE are Thornton's service reviews on rvservicereviews.com. HERE is their Better Business Bureau report.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We used RV Masters to repair a weld on our old TT. The only problem with them is their lot is very small. We liked their service though--they did a great job and were friendly and fast.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fortunately I have not had the opportunity to use a repair facility, but I have seen the work that the "body repairman" has done at Holiday World on I-45 South in League City. He does good work.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I highly recommend RV Masters! My motorhome was in the shop there last week and they did an excellent job. I have used them ever since they have been in business (I was referred to them) and have always been happy with their service.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote