Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

RV road restrictions

How to find out if there are RV restrictions on length or height on roads.

Planning trip down the California coast and was really concerned about Rt 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay.

I have a 2015 Keystone High Country fifth wheel 34 foot and 13 foot 4 high with a F 250.
jimbob48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Jimbob...You should be able to find something on the CA Department of Transportaion website...also do a search on this site, I beleive I have seen links to all the lower 48 regarding height and length in other threads on this forum...

Based on what you set up is, I don't think your length is an issue, height might be, but yet still doubtful....
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We drove that road years ago by auto in our pre-RV days and can't remember any specific problem. Here's what Mountain Directory West has to say about CA Hwy 1 between Monterey and San Simeon: "This road does not include long grades but it is narrow two lane with sharp curves and switchbacks that may be difficult for large vehicles."

There are probably better sources including those folks who have driven the road recently.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Although I don't believe there are any restrictions, I would not recommend taking that route pulling a large trailer or with a MH. It is a twisting turning road with switch backs and very little room on either side. One side are cliffs down to the ocean and the other up against the hills. There are also some short, but steep grades. We have taken that several times in a car and it takes longer and you are tired when done.

When we take the MH up that way we bypass that area, we take the 101 north out of Morro Bay, and when you get past the Monterrey Area, just before the San Francisco area, we get over to the I-5 to go around San Francisco, then once north of San Francisco we get back on the 101. If you take the 101 you will still get great scenery, other than the farm area you travel thru in the area between Morro Bay and Monterrey.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

I looked at Google Maps and would rather gargle spiders that drive it...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #6

For RV's 40' or larger

45' Bus & Motorhome Map
45' Buses & Motorhomes
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've done a few Miata runs that way. Very pretty.

But if you use it you won't see any scenery as your eyes will be glued to the road.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've done northbound 35' class A with a toad. Tight for sure but we found the best campground in Big Sur. The only problem with southbound is the DW is on the cliff side!