Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

RV service center says we need a new roof--wtd?

the camper is an 01 carriage cameo and we have it in the shop to have a new and second air conditioner installed.
we live in it full time and mostly are delighted with it. we have no intention (or funds!) to replace the rig at this time.

so yesterday the techs were on the roof getting ready to prep when they discovered a rip in the membrane and the crack in the shower stall skylight.
I had noticed that crack a week ago but thank goodness no leaking.

we've contacted our insurance company, we have comprehensive coverage.

should we be concerned about the insurance paying for this?
is there a product or process we should insist upon? or refuse?

the service place folks are nice enough and seem to know their stuff, but I have newbie-itus and fear we may be sold something we might not have bought into if we were more experienced.
please advise oh knowledgable ones!!!!!!
suse1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mentioned membrane and I assume the roof is rubber, and can be repaired.
Here is a DIY video.

I would use the appropriate self-leveling lap sealant (caulking) along and over the edges of the tape.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I don't know of any insurance that would cover it unless you have some kind of extended warranty policy but for an 01 ????? I assume the skylight will have to be replaced to prevent from leaking but the membrane on the roof can be repaired with Eternabond tape. The video that was provided should be a good start. Good luck and hope all works out.

g
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

I just replaced my skylight (preventative). Got the 25.5" square dome from Amazon for 125 bucks. I used Eternabond tape on the outside flange and butyl putty tape to bed it down on. Eternabond tape is a superior repair product when installed properly. I would recommend it for the tear in your roof.

If you want a new roof that will last a lifetime ......... I would consider this option. Be sure to watch the video linked in the first post. The video mentions insurance also.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rhin...em-144827.html
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

If the tear happened while towing it, then yes it should be covered under your insurance... That's why we have insurance isn't it.

Yes you can repair the tear with many products that will do a fine job. But if the insurance will pay, don't settle for anything less then a new membrane.

I've replaced many roofs over the years, most have been paid by the customers insurance. It's all in the wording, you're not trying to scam the insurance, but if the words are presented the wrong way they will find a way to decline the claim. When it comes to roofs, it's best to say it happened while driving and you caught a low hanging tree branch OR while parked during a wind storm the tree branch fell onto it. Just an example....

If repairing is the option, then a good roof tape such as eternabond or many other commercial products available from roofing suppliers will work. I always like to put a good coating on the entire roof after using a Band-Aid...
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If money is tight, you could also use the eternabond tape on the skylight crack. It won't be pretty from in the shower, but it will prevent any water damage until you can shop around and find the proper size replacement skylight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #7

Insurance will usually pay for a collision tear. Some will only replace the roof if the patch will be seen. Some will do the whole thing.

The only way to properly replace it is to remove all the fixtures, roofing membrane, and then replace or cover the old decking. The old deck is dirty, has wood sticking up, and old glue.

If insurance will pay for a new one, I'd take it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Some shops will not due a repair on a roof if paid for by the insurance co. The reason is the insurance co. wants the shop to guaranty the repair. Most shops will not guaranty a repair but will guaranty the complete roof.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

Look up EDPM roofing material on the internet. Recoated my 1994. EDPM recoat does not produce black streaks as original material does.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The roof and sky light can be easily repaired with Eternabond tape and will hold up for many years if done properly. I'd take the trialer to another repair shop if they will naot make the repairs you want.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, roof